Whats a good AM helm that us aussies can buy, what u guys use?

call_me_bruce

Likes Dirt
I bought a Specialized Deviant, because of the high levels of ventilation combined with jaw protection, (following a dislocated jaw) without an AS sticker, and just don't wear it in competition. I bought it from NZ. I've heard Ghost stories about helmets getting seized at customs because they don't have AS stickers, but I don't think that'd be right (3 separate occasions through so far with no worries). There's no special category for bicycle helmets on the customs website, and at least for a one-off it could be argued as being a commercial sample for market evaluation, testing etc.

F-Bomb

Likes Bikes
At least some race events don't seem to care about an Australian certification as long as the helmet is certified by some country. It would be crazy otherwise for international racers to have to carry different helmets for different countries.

As far as I understand, the lack of Australian certification is more of an issue for road use and insurance purposes since one is supposed to only ride on the road with a helmet with australian certification.

PS/ call_me_bruce > Is the deviant actually cool enough that you wear is at all times when you go biking on your AM bike?

mint355

Likes Dirt
what's the go with buying helmets from overseas/online that won't have the AS stickers on them.

I don't plan on doing any racing etc, so does it really matter??
I have never been checked for a AS sticker in my years of racing. I think my giro feature will offer a fair bit more protection than say a 180gram specialized prevail that every XC racer seem to be wearing these days....

floody

Wheel size expert
I've had a Carrera Edge for a while now, really like it, cool to wear and feels very secure yet roomy (without being loose), also wraps quite low around the rear of your head and around the temples. I still wear my Specialized 2D on the roadie and more XC kind of rides as its definitely lighter and cooler, but then its lighter and cooler than just about anything.

Beej1

I got a Uvex XP-100 a few years ago. The shape of it is similar to those that were first touted as 'AM' helmets, in that the back of it drops down a little (but not much).

Personally I find this to be mostly marketing hype (along with pretty much everything that falls under the 'AM' umbrella). I doubt the extra 2 or 3% of coverage will make much difference in the bulk of crashes I'm likely to have.

Either way, it's a very comfy helmet with things like adjustable buckle, full circumference tightening strap, mesh covered vents and (at least when I got mine) pretty cool graphics.

Not sure if its AS approved (German brand, bought it from Jenson USA) and couldn't care less. It protects plenty of brains overseas that are physiologically no different from the one I have, and I've worn it in half a dozen races and nobody's ever checked it (nor had they checked and previous helmets).

P.S. its called the Uvex XP-CC now.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Ahhh.... My eye was deceived by all that mardigra bling. Thought it was a disco ball. Much prefer the cyclops scheme, that's just me tho, drab.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

ChopSticks

Banned
Ahhh.... My eye was deceived by all that mardigra bling. Thought it was a disco ball. Much prefer the cyclops scheme, that's just me tho, drab.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2
broke my elbow the day before it arrived.... Won't be using it anytime soon.....

wanna buy it off me? :p

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
broke my elbow the day before it arrived.... Won't be using it anytime soon.....

wanna buy it off me? :p
$?? Throw in the Yeti and its a done deal! Should have invested in a set of pads lol. Whats your recovery time look like.

Last edited:

ChopSticks

Banned
$?? Throw in the Yeti and its a done deal! Should have invested in a set of pads lol. Whats your recovery time look like.
Yehhhh... If you pay me enough it should cover a set of pads :p

im just stiring..... Cbf selling it unless you give me an offer I can't refuse

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Yehhhh... If you pay me enough it should cover a set of pads :p

im just stiring..... Cbf selling it unless you give me an offer I can't refuse
Offer you can refuse?....Hmmm how 'bout I come over and fix up your other wing if you don't sell it to me:heh:

Seriously tho, I don't think all that spangly goodness is quite me. Interested to know the place you got it, more an more wanting to order me one.

Cheers.