What's a good FR bike?

Carlosjames64

Likes Bikes
It depends really on how much your willing to spend. i can recommend some that will cost 1-2k but also some that will cost around 7-10k

WannabeDH'r

Likes Bikes
Personally I'm riding a Scott Voltage FR20, perhaps you could check out the voltage line of bikes..

You could also try something like the Kona Entourage, also I think Norco has a couple of FR bikes, if you can find them.

Hope that can get you started on your search, good luck man.

dhk_95

Likes Bikes
Hey mate.
Yehp, it does depend on your budget! You could go all out, or you could pick something up second hand.
But as a necessity, i'd say anything between 5-7" of travel will comfortably get the job done for FR style riding.
Are you looking at getting into the FR scene? I have a 2009 Specialized Demo 7 I that i ride both DH/FR. Does an amazing job!

Hey man check out the Kona Entourage. one of the best bang for buck, well built bikes out there. Handles likes its on rails

Cano29

Likes Dirt
I'm currently riding a 2010 Giant faith and love it. You can probably pick one up second hand under 2000 and they're not bad for that price. It's not bad up hill and it's great downhill. Here's a short vid I made a while ago, quality isn't great. I really enjoy this bike, great spec and solid. Best bike I've owned.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZaeIjmGkOw

aceyone

Likes Dirt
Depends what you call 'freeride', too (discussion for another time... another thread...). I've been abusing my Santa Cruz VP-Free for 4 (?) years. Some DH racing, some freeride, some AM pedalling (with a front der and granny ring as my 'off-season' setup). I've been seeing a few around pretty cheap in the last few years. (Just need to keep an eye on the swingarm bearings... seem to last ~12 months, dep on use, but an easy job if you've done it a few times). It seems to tick all the boxes for me. :single_eye:

sedifus

Likes Dirt
Have you looked at the mongoose boot'rs? For the same spec as the voltage 20 on the last page i know a much better price could be done.
The apprentice for easily under $2000 or the Foreman for just over. I just used goldcross to show the specs but i know my store can do much better prices.

demodv8

Likes Dirt
Bullit

I ride everywhere and race it does everything i want it to. lift up the seat post i'm in cross country mode put it down it's a down hill bike

Attachments

jonozrx

Likes Dirt
Have you looked at the mongoose boot'rs? For the same spec as the voltage 20 on the last page i know a much better price could be done.
The apprentice for easily under $2000 or the Foreman for just over. I just used goldcross to show the specs but i know my store can do much better prices.
The boot'r is probably similar value to the Voltage, which is excellent. It is a very different bike though - compare the geo, particularly chainstay lengths. Not as adjustable as the Voltage either.

Depends what you want - if you are looking for flowy, jumpy freeride the Voltage is a better choice. If your freeriding is more on the DH side (ie rocky etc) the boot'r would be a plusher, more stable ride.