Whats a good 'next step' from BB7's?

LoveB

Likes Dirt
hey all, I had bb7s on my old XC bike but I'm currently building a trail/AM frame (xtension xplore) and was wondering what the next step up from them would be? looking to go hydro.

I love the bb7's to be honest. I've just put 203mm disks on front and back (proabably overkill) but havent ridden it with the 203's yet. I could also get a bit more if I switch to the SD7 levers I think. I've only got cheap shimano v brake levers on it now.

But what would you guys suggest as the next step up from them? Saw a few avid codes that interested me. I believe they're all 4 piston which is obviously better than a mechanical brake. The bike will mostly be for xc. Not super hardcore downhill stuff. Pretty sure the bb7's will do fine but wouldnt hurt to upgrade I guess. I was thinking of beno's 6 piston gatorbrakes since they are cheap. Anyone ever tried them?

{ScarFace}

Likes Dirt
The entry level hydro would be the juicy 3s, or a step up from that from elixir 3's or 5's.

Or whatever the shimano equivalent is.

The codes might be abit of overkill for xc, as will the 203s. But it's your bike :D

Last edited:

ozmanick

Likes Dirt
Chances are codes will be over kill for what you'll be doing. Maybe a pair of Avid Elixers or maybe go for one of the avid juicy range(Juicy 3, Juicy 5, Juicy 7)

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Your BB7s are an exceptionally good brake in their own right but if you are keen for an upgrade, hydraulic is the logical next step.

I too am thinking that some of the brakes your looking at are a little overkill for what you're doing.

With a budget of $250, you'd easily get your hands on the current M775 Shimano XT brake which will be perfect for what you've stated. Quite possibly one of the most user friendly brakes I've experienced in a while (especially compared to Avid!), they offer great power, modulation and lever feel.

Another option might be simply improving upon what you already have - an 8" rotor on the front combined with quality Avid Speed Dial levers should also see a gain in brake performance also.

Good luck!

LoveB

Likes Dirt
The codes on the fs area are so cheap though... lol. So tempting. I may try and change to SD7 levers first and use different cables. Then I'll decide. I guess the bb7s are more than fine.

Hows the modulation on codes though? or the elixers? I suppose better to have more stopping force and not need it than need it and not have it! lol

Mr Kurt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Get hold of some Elixer 5's or Elixer R's. I have both and they are both fantastic brakes. Ide highly recomend them. But Juicy brakes, dont go there haha. Ive had 3's and 7's and i didn't like them at all. Juicy 3's are just terrible, and i found Juicy 7's heat up quiet a bit.

My opinion, Elixers FTW!! ;) You could pic some up easily for $200 second hand, give or take depending on condition and year.

Last edited:

Science

Likes Dirt
I've got a set of Hayes 9's laying about doing nothing. very progressive and smooth brake.

PM me, these are going cheap.