What's it worth? 2012 Anthem X2

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
New bike, and a mate at work keen on my old one. No idea what it's worth...

2012 Giant Anthem X2. 26er, 3x10 slx group xt rear mech. Avid brakes. Shimano tubeless wheelset. Fox suspension.

Well used but used well, OCD owner. Serviced fork shock new swing arm bearings.

Any tips on what I should ask? I'm thinking somewhere in the vague region of a grand...

will2

Likes Dirt
New bike, and a mate at work keen on my old one. No idea what it's worth...

2012 Giant Anthem X2. 26er, 3x10 slx group xt rear mech. Avid brakes. Shimano tubeless wheelset. Fox suspension.

Well used but used well, OCD owner. Serviced fork shock new swing arm bearings.

Any tips on what I should ask? I'm thinking somewhere in the vague region of a grand...
How close of a mate is the next question.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
It's alway hard selling shit to a mate. It should be mates rates for a start, but I'll always be honest and make sure they realise that it's second hand, a shit goes wrong.
One good thing going for the situation is that if your the original owner, you can help him out with warranty claims if needs be.
$1k wouldn't be far off the mark of it was me.

moorey

call me Mia
We all always give mates rates, but why? Why shouldn't our mates, as mates, pay US mates rates, as in, a bit more? :noidea:

moorey

call me Mia
That's a good point..... But maybe the reason that you have no friends?
Pfft. There's much better reasons to be had :hand:

That said...Its fine when it works both ways, but I've got friends I virtually or actually give stuff to, but it's never the same case in return.

OP, anywhere from $900-1200 seems to be the range I've seen these in. If yours is in good nick, $1k seems fair to both.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Thanks JT and Moorey.

Mate is a work friend really, been riding a few times and happy to give him a bit of mates rates if only so I know its gone to a good home. And yes, that is a good point about warranty but doubt it will be needed - those very last 26er frames don't seem to crack.

I'd prefer to keep it to be honest, but SWMBO has given an order it be sold as part of me being able to drop $4K on a new one... I'm still inclined to quietly tuck it away for a while and see if she notices it not being sold!

Last edited:

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
That said...Its fine when it works both ways, but I've got friends I virtually or actually give stuff to, but it's never the same case in return.

I hear you dude, but some people (myself included) are givers rather than takers. I think you can see people who are like this through the trading area here, always those people who are willing to do the regulars a killer deal or freebies.

Yep and then there is your alleged mate who you give something too and down the track instead of passing it on they sell it and pocket the coin, strange how I've never got time to help him fix his bike anymore

BorisBC

Likes Bikes
It wasn't mates rates but I bought a 2012 Anthem 29er X2 last Nov for $1350 to give you a ballpark idea.

So yeah $1k would probably be a good price.

redbruce

Eats Squid
It wasn't mates rates but I bought a 2012 Anthem 29er X2 last Nov for $1350 to give you a ballpark idea.

So yeah $1k would probably be a good price.
Anthem 29's are worth a bit more than 26 atm (strong band of Giant 29'er fans out there).

Having said that you can still buy NOS X2 29'er for $2K so second hand should be more like $1K for them.

Given OCD and fork/shock servicing, $1k would be really tops for a 26 (assuming drive train is OCD as well).

Last edited:

iUDEX_nCr

Likes Dirt
I sold a 2 year old Anthem 1 (was running full XT back then) in mint condition for $900 at mates rates.

I go by the 1/2 of retail then minus 15-30% depending on condition. Reason is new bike value is really about half of retail (the mark up), then adjust for condition. So I guess $1k is a good ballpark

have you asked your mate what he's willing to pay for it?