Whats the best beer you've had & why?

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
NCR did you chat with the Squire rep about why they went ahead with an Indian specific pilsiner? Excuse me if I seem ignorant, I know that there is alot of white folks in Inida (particularly the british), but is there enough demand for Squire pilsiner for them to go through with IPA?

Just seems a bit weird to me

NCR600

Likes Dirt
NCR did you chat with the Squire rep about why they went ahead with an Indian specific pilsiner? Excuse me if I seem ignorant, I know that there is alot of white folks in Inida (particularly the british), but is there enough demand for Squire pilsiner for them to go through with IPA?

Just seems a bit weird to me
India was a British Colony so the British developed a pale ale style beer that used a relatively large amount of hops to act as a preservative for the sea voyage to India from Britain. It's no suprise then that it needs a bit of bottle aging. It's avery hoppy style, so is similar to a Pilsener in that respect. It's not just limited to JS, The American Sierra Nevada brewery do an awesome PA. Likewise a Porter style dark ale is called porter because it's portable... again a style of ale that can handle a long time in the cask in less than ideal conditions. Or it might have been a favoured drink of Railway Porters in the Victorian Age. Such is history. And Beer.

Last edited:

antwan88

Cannon Fodder
Ted's are shit and Breaka are you sure the STella, Heineken and Beck's you tried were the imported ones? Very hard to get a hold of in Aus.. It is all fucking made here nowadays and tastes just like a boring lager similar to TED's..

Drink up on as much Peroni as you can.. Coke owns it now in Aus and it may not be 'imported' for very long.. Awesome beer.

Yes all the Maltilda Bay range suck.. Fosters weak attempt at a boutique brewery... However Chuck Hahn is doing very well with the James Squire range.. good beers.

Also sif not like Creatures Pale.. Gotta love the Amarillo hops (in all their beers).... Also a big fan of the Bright Ale (also Squire's Golden ale).. Both ales but not bitter like usual because they are fermented it very cold temperatures.. This detracting from the bitter taste you usually get from Ales.. Nice clean and crisp.

GravityGuru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A tip from me is to bottle a few stubbies. This way you can taste how the beer is going without wasting a full tally (this is if you are infact brewing in tallies to begin with).

And yeah, I was thinking about digging too, but I was thinking about leaving it to the summer months :p
The whole 23L was bottled in stubbies :D

Mo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been knocking back beerlaos for the past few weeks (being in Lao and all), and damn that beer is one fine drop. Easily the best beer in SE Asia, and one of the finer mass produced lagers in the world. It also helps that they are only $1 for a big bottle.

They've a new dark beerlao out now which is an Irish amber ale style. Not too shabby either.
it actually has been rated one of the best beers in the world, pity when i was on laos i was too young to understand beer.

but lately it's been coopers pale ale, great cru :)

worse beer to date is Lowenbrau, yuk taste like cheap ass 5c beer, i actually had to throw it away

Cameo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just had a Little Creatures Rogers; I must say it was one of the smoothest, lightest beers I've ever had. Go figure, it only packs about 3.5% alcohol or so. Regardless, it was a nice, light winter beer, and once again am I impressed by the dudes in Freo.

Also had a Maharajah's tonight aswell. Cost me about $3.50 from St. Kilda bottleshop. This was the first Indian beer I've ever had and will probably be the last too. The flavour was way too intense for me, especially with an untrained 'beer' mouth. I struggled to finish the bottle, but the main reason behind the purchase in the first place was the impressive art on the label! hah!

Last edited:

Ryan

Radministrator
I had myself a Unibroue Trois Pistoles on Friday night and it was superb, I don't even particularly like dark ales, but I'll happily fork out the $25 for a 4-pack of these at the end of the next working week. I also support the fact that all of their beers are very high alcohol content, so you're really getting 8 beers worth of effect out a 4-pack, if you're concerned about such things.

Having tried all 3 of the Unibroue range that I've been able to find here in Australia my verdict is thus;

La Fin du Monde - Awesome
Maudite - Reasonable, but not worth the hit to the hip pocket
Trois Pistoles - Awesome x Awesome

Last edited:

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
A tip from me is to bottle a few stubbies. This way you can taste how the beer is going without wasting a full tally (this is if you are infact brewing in tallies to begin with).

And yeah, I was thinking about digging too, but I was thinking about leaving it to the summer months :p
Don't leave it for the sumer months, brew it now so it's ready for the summer months. Some of the beers favoured in summer have yeast that works better in cooler temperatures anyway. It also means your brew has had time to mature and may not have as much of the "green" taste by the time you feel like drinking it!

davieg

Likes Dirt
you cant look past a good boddingtons.

excuse the spelling if its wrong but my dad had them in the fridge and i love them.

bit expensive but they are soooo good.

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
La Fin du Monde - Awesome
Maudite - Reasonable, but not worth the hit to the hip pocket
Trois Pistoles - Awesome x Awesome
Yeah, Quebecois micro-brewery beers are frickin' awesome! I've had those beers too and really enjoyed them.

Especially a beer whose name, when translated from Quebecois slang means "shit". (Maudite) I love it!:cool:

fleshbone

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Since i've just turned 18 i only started to drink now,"wink" "wink".

I have'nt had the oppurtunity or the wallet,nor anyone elses wallet yet to go around and try some marvelous tasting beers out.

So for now,my favourite kind of beer,is free beer.

Cameo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mmmm, got a bottle of Lucky and Speckled Hen cooling in the fridge right now! I can't wait to try the Hen, to see if it lives up to the hype I've heard in this thread. Lucky I just bought for the bottle, it'll go up with the rest of the collection.

Cameo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well I drunk them both.

Hen; A great beer to say the least. First mouthful was a great expirience, I found that it was quite bitter, but somewhat creamy and smooth as well. I thought that the bitter-factor gradually increased throughout the bottle. A well spend $5 or so. Definetly a tick in my books.

Lucky; Well, I did buy it for the bottle, and it turns out I was more fond of the bottle than the brew itself. It tasted ordianary, not crap, but just average. No zest or flavour to it. A drinkable beer in a nice bottle. Not going to be buying another one at $4 or so a bottle.

NCR600

Likes Dirt
Ive been highly suspicious of that Lucky beer in that stupid bottle. The flasher the packaging, the worse the product I guess!.

I've slagged off Carlton Black in this thread a while back, but I inadvertantly drank one the other night, and surprisingly (or perhaps unsurprisingly) they've beefed up the flavour somewhat. There was definately some burnt grain/coffee character there that I'd failed to notice last time. In fact back to back with the real black (Tooheys Old) it seemed to have more flavour!

I was quite surprised, although this could be down to the individual batch of Old, which I've found can be quite variable.

matty_101

Likes Dirt
Anyone tried the 'Chopper' heavy lager?

I've been looking but no shops round me have it.
Chopper lager? Does this beer have any connection to Chopper Reid? Dear god i hope not.

I was chilling at home a few days back and my brother walks in with a few Asahi's so he gives me one, i know, he must've wanted something right? But no, he didn't, either way, that was a fucking nice beer, really full but not too heavy if you feel me, also typing in the dark really sucks.

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That is a fine collection. Why don't I see Tooheys Red?

In all honesty, I've been drinking it a fair bit lately.