Whats the best beer you've had & why?

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Tear me to shreds!
Nah, each to their own. Your palate may mature and learn to appreciate good beer but for now drink what you like. Even though I have tried a great many beers I'm still considered a phillistine because I can't stand Orval.

So long as you are trying different types of beer it's all good.

Although be warned, and this is for everyone, beware VB Raw! It's hitting the shelves as we speak. They say it's like TED crossed with Asahi, great soda water crossed with bile, divine.:rolleyes:

Mind you, having a go at Pride and Hoegaarden is fighting words.

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
Golden Draak, at about 12% abv I think, definetly a strong one. Strong chocolate flavour behind it, great for drinking over about 1/2 and hour after a good hearty meal. Now if I could find it for less than $12 a bottle somewhere...

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Golden Draak, at about 12% abv I think, definetly a strong one. Strong chocolate flavour behind it, great for drinking over about 1/2 and hour after a good hearty meal. Now if I could find it for less than $12 a bottle somewhere...
It's 10.5%, a lovely drop from Icobes. It's a favourite of mine too when I visit the Belgian beer cafes. The one in Brisbane isn't bad but I have a soft spot for Epoque in Cammeray. Try the Rochefort 10, if you like Gulden Draak you'll love Rochefort 10.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Nøgne Ø IPA

This one is pretty intense. A 7.5% IPA from Norway with a nice spiced fruit aroma and some pretty serious hops and bitterness to follow. Really effervescent, too - the head holds thick til the bottom of the glass.

At $14 for 500mL it's not a beer to session, but the intensity of flavour and high-ish alcohol content say that too. Quite like this one, and will probably buy a bottle a week as long as my work is stocking them.

Tomas

my mum says im cool
It's 10.5%, a lovely drop from Icobes. It's a favourite of mine too when I visit the Belgian beer cafes. The one in Brisbane isn't bad but I have a soft spot for Epoque in Cammeray. Try the Rochefort 10, if you like Gulden Draak you'll love Rochefort 10.
I go there most wednesday nights for 1/2 price musseles. Suffice to say my arteries are probably clogged from the constant mussle/chip/mayo/beer abuse! Love that place.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I finally tried the Mikkeller Beer Geek's Breakfast 7.5%abv today (brewed by Nøgne Ø), a feat of beautiful oatmeal stout and coffee. Such a well balanced and moresome stout I have had in a long while, probably since the last batch of Happy Goblin. The blurb says this is how proper beer nerds start the day, a rich and complex flavoursome stout with coffee, I'm inclined to agree.

On top of this though I tried Guinness 250th Anniversary Stout 5%abv, the less said the better, this was weak and dry with none of the hallmarks of the stout that is famous the world over. This dry hopped offering is really quite ordinary and offers little for dark beer disciples like me.

A little surprise was Mountain Goat Steam Ale 4.5%abv, a cloudy amber beer with a sweet aroma and beautiful spicy lingering finish. Easily sessioned and quite mild, a very easy drinking brew from Dave and Cam. I will probably have to get a case to test the sessionability theory.

But the one I tried first today was VB RAW 4.5%abv, a dry and ultimately boring beer. It has little to commend it except it may hit the spot if you have just crossed the Kalahari mid summer without any water and need a drink.

I go there most wednesday nights for 1/2 price musseles. Suffice to say my arteries are probably clogged from the constant mussle/chip/mayo/beer abuse! Love that place.
You are making me hungry Tomas, ever since going to Belgium I eat mussells at every opportunity.

Leitch, try the Sahti and #100, very odd offerings from Nøgne Ø but the most rewarding I've found, absolutely crazy, beer but not as we know it.

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
I finally tried the Mikkeller Beer Geek's Breakfast 7.5%abv today (brewed by Nøgne Ø), a feat of beautiful oatmeal stout and coffee. Such a well balanced and moresome stout I have had in a long while, probably since the last batch of Happy Goblin. The blurb says this is how proper beer nerds start the day, a rich and complex flavoursome stout with coffee, I'm inclined to agree.

On top of this though I tried Guinness 250th Anniversary Stout 5%abv, the less said the better, this was weak and dry with none of the hallmarks of the stout that is famous the world over. This dry hopped offering is really quite ordinary and offers little for dark beer disciples like me.

A little surprise was Mountain Goat Steam Ale 4.5%abv, a cloudy amber beer with a sweet aroma and beautiful spicy lingering finish. Easily sessioned and quite mild, a very easy drinking brew from Dave and Cam. I will probably have to get a case to test the sessionability theory.

But the one I tried first today was VB RAW 4.5%abv, a dry and ultimately boring beer. It has little to commend it except it may hit the spot if you have just crossed the Kalahari mid summer without any water and need a drink.
Interesting theory. For the sake of accuracy and furthering everyones knowledge you should repeat this test.

I joined Zee German Club here in Brisbane a few weeks ago, I go down there on a Thursday arvo with some mates and have a bit of a boys session. They have some beautiful beers, the only one whose name I can remember is a dark wheat beer by Franziskaner. Lovely stuff.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Now here's a rarity, I'm going to have to be careful because I'm pretty sure a fellow 'burner is/was responsible for todays little sipper.

White Rabbit Dark Ale 5.2%abv. Dark clear coppery amber with a generous fine beaded head, the aromatics are not overly powerful but give a hint to the rich flavour within, malty with a generous amount of hop herbaceousness and bitterness. It reminds me of a few English Best ales, perfectly weighted. The carbonation is spot on too.

I'm getting over a cold at the moment so I can't get everything out of this one but I bought a few so I can do it proper justice later, while it's not my favourite style it is a very nice drop.

I've now got to wait for beerismyfriend to grill me.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What the f*$k?

Can anyone else confirm this rumour, I'm taking a run into the city even earlier than expected to find out but is it true? Is the Australian Hotel no more?
What's worse I've heard it's going to be called 'The Brit'. Please say it isn't so. And what of the Beer festival? So many questions.

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can anyone else confirm this rumour, I'm taking a run into the city even earlier than expected to find out but is it true? Is the Australian Hotel no more?
What's worse I've heard it's going to be called 'The Brit'. Please say it isn't so. And what of the Beer festival? So many questions.
Sounds like a pisstake to me. I'll ride past this evening on my way in to the city (Actually on my way to the Czech beer restaurant/cafe in kings cross -- so it is on topic).

ahh is this relevant to your signature?

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There was a big banner with 'The Brit' est 2009 with a Virgin logo on it and a big Union Jack flying out the front.
Couldn't believe it, I hope it's just a marketing stunt by Virgin.

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's true! Oh the shame.

A marketing stunt for sure (the Australian's flag -not the Australian flag- was still flying below the Union Jack on the flagstaff), or have we just lost some sporting event to the Brit's that I am unaware of?

Actually if it is a marketing stunt, I think I feel even more dirty :eek:

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
Just got home from the football in Sydney. To avoid the carpark escape rush, we wandered over to the Bavarian Beer Cafe for a drink. I was going to go with original Lowenbräu, but apparently they were out. Barman recommended Hofbräu instead. I wasn't going to go it based on its menu description, as I wanted something decent with a bit of taste for my $10, but he was the barman. Turns out I should've trusted myself. Maybe I'm missing something, but it was pretty terrible- light and tasteless. At 5.1%, you could get hammered off it pretty easy though- my half stein was gone quick (Is that even a redeeming quality?).

Any recommendations for next time?

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just got home from the football in Sydney. To avoid the carpark escape rush, we wandered over to the Bavarian Beer Cafe for a drink. I was going to go with original Lowenbräu, but apparently they were out. Barman recommended Hofbräu instead. I wasn't going to go it based on its menu description, as I wanted something decent with a bit of taste for my $10, but he was the barman. Turns out I should've trusted myself. Maybe I'm missing something, but it was pretty terrible- light and tasteless. At 5.1%, you could get hammered off it pretty easy though- my half stein was gone quick (Is that even a redeeming quality?).

Any recommendations for next time?
I'm with you, Hofbrau seems to be brewed for tourists and to be honest I find much of the golden lagers available at the BBC too light in flavour and bitterness for me.
I am however quite a fan of Franziskaner wheat beer and occasionally they have some excellent Bock available, last time I was in they had a Maibock which was very nice indeed.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I have decided that my consistent favourite is Little Creatures Bright Ale. Basically, I could drink this any time, anywhere.

He says as he opens another.

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
I am however quite a fan of Franziskaner wheat beer and occasionally they have some excellent Bock available, last time I was in they had a Maibock which was very nice indeed.
Hmm I might have to try some of these other Franziskaners you talk about. The dark wheat is pretty damn good though, and I think it's the only Franziskaner on tap at Zee German Klub.

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Now here's a rarity, I'm going to have to be careful because I'm pretty sure a fellow 'burner is/was responsible for todays little sipper.

White Rabbit Dark Ale 5.2%abv. Dark clear coppery amber with a generous fine beaded head, the aromatics are not overly powerful but give a hint to the rich flavour within, malty with a generous amount of hop herbaceousness and bitterness. It reminds me of a few English Best ales, perfectly weighted. The carbonation is spot on too.

I'm getting over a cold at the moment so I can't get everything out of this one but I bought a few so I can do it proper justice later, while it's not my favourite style it is a very nice drop.

I've now got to wait for beerismyfriend to grill me.

I've worked my through a 6 pack of these in the past week or so, and i'm very impressed, darker ales are normally a special occasion/in the right mood thing for me, but this brew i enjoyed as a nice refresher when it was cold and if i wanted to get all the richness out of it i let it sit and warm a little, mmm tasty. It's the 'herbaceousness' that i really like.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Squire knocked off his perch?

John Boston, I must admit the name meant nothing to me until this morning when I purchased a six pack of John Boston Premium Lager 4.9%abv. It looks like another AIB contract brew and the packaging does little for me but the story I found interesting. Apparently this man was Australia's first brewer, a full ten years before Mr Squire, albeit without the use of real hops.
I looked over the website before tasting, something I rarely do but it did let me know that the brewer responsible was also responsible for Bluetongue so take that as you will.

So the beer, it pours well with a generous fine beaded head, the aromatics are a little sweet and floral, really quite appealing. Initially it was a bit gassy but settled down, it is medium bodied and light, quite refreshing with a spicy dry lightly bitter finish. It's quite a thirst quenching brew but doesn't really do a great deal for me, but then again I'm not a fan of Bluetongue either. That said I found it very easy to drink and the few I saved for lunch went well with my barbequed chook and salad.

For now I think Maltshovel brewery has little to worry about, except perhaps putting some flavour into the most recent batch of Sundown Lager.

LJohn

Likes Dirt
Coopers 62 Pilsner 5%abv. A clear golden pilsner, a coopers lager that I like? They tried hard on this one, the flavour is bitter and dry with a lingering finish and it is well presented. Quite good, actually tastes like a pilsner. But beware, Coopers will be brewing Budweiser in Australia.
I wasn't an enormous fan. A great summer beer though, and in swanky packaging.

Monteith's Summer Ale.........Well what can I say.....It tastes great, but it doesn't taste like a great beer. It tastes more like a ginger ale that's been poured from an old beer keg. Not bad, but holy shit I wasn't expecting that. I'd drink it if I didn't want to know I was drinking beer.