Whats the best beer you've had & why?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Anyone in Brisbane, do yourself a favour and get down to Archive - below Uber on Boundary St West End. Massive massive Australian craft beer list - from the usual Squires/Creatures suspects to your winemaker brews like Pepperjack and Knappstein, to 3 Ravens/Fish Rock/whatever else you could want. Even better, pop down on a Sunday afternoon and all stubbies are $5! (No affiliation here, just went down on Sunday and was seriously impressed!)

Has anyone seen cans of Stella around Sydney over the last few weeks? Or imported Stella in bottles? Not the best beer I've had but for 50 bucks it beats other beers in that price range.

FYI- Best beer in the world in Guinness at Hanlon's pub in the northside of Dublin.

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Wig and Pen, Brewers IPA-hand pumped, cask aged, all things good in a beer. The only downside is the Wig and Pen doesn't bottle what they brew

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anybody know any beers similar to Old but don't have the Toohey's headache? I have quite a guilty attraction for old, but even 2 of them will give me a whopping headache.

Garrath

Likes Dirt
American Brewery Dogfish Head have a wonderful selection of beers. Last night I sampled their Palo Santo Marron brew. An amazing malt beer, really one of the most stunning beers I have had the pleasure to consume. At a whopping 12% it wacks a punch, but it is not a beer to be drunk quickly.

From their website:

An unfiltered, unfettered, unprecedented brown ale aged in handmade wooden brewing vessels. The caramel and vanilla complexity unique to this beer comes from the exotic Paraguayan Palo Santo wood from which these tanks were crafted. Palo Santo means "holy tree" and it's wood has been used in South American wine-making communities.

This beer is a 12% abv, highly roasty, and malty brown ale aged on the Palo Santo wood. It was a huge hit at our Rehoboth Beach brewpub when first released in November of 2006, Palo went into full production at the end of 2007.

At 10,000 gallons, our Palo Tank is the largest wooden brewing vessel built in America since before Prohibition (and we have two same-sized Oak tanks right next to it).

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anybody know any beers similar to Old but don't have the Toohey's headache? I have quite a guilty attraction for old, but even 2 of them will give me a whopping headache.
Have you tried Monteith's Black? I'm not sure whether they boost their beer with sugar as well but I've had some large nights on the black and haven't suffered greatly for it. For a big commercial brewery it's not bad at all.

Raw Toast Man

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone in Brisbane, do yourself a favour and get down to Archive - below Uber on Boundary St West End. Massive massive Australian craft beer list - from the usual Squires/Creatures suspects to your winemaker brews like Pepperjack and Knappstein, to 3 Ravens/Fish Rock/whatever else you could want. Even better, pop down on a Sunday afternoon and all stubbies are $5! (No affiliation here, just went down on Sunday and was seriously impressed!)
Funny you should say that. I was there on Friday night. Seem like an awesome place, great beer, pool and oldies rock n roll. Would go back there in a flash.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's been a few weeks so here's a few tasty ones to look out for and I finally remembered the website you need to visit to help give Aussie Craft Breweries a fair go.

Visit here and sign the petition.

As for the tasters;

Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel Route des Epices 5%abv. A peppercorn rye beer, Deep clear garnet with a generous soft head. Malty sweet aroma with loads of pepper and spice. Unusual grainyness and slightly acrid. Smooth and warming spiciness, pepper throughout. Like drinking a pepper steak, lovely lasting aftertaste, warm and a little bitter with some heat. Real winter warmer.

Epic Brewing Armageddon IPA, 6.66%abv Fizzy and frothy orange with a bubbly crumbling head. Intense zesty citrus and stonefruit aroma with some pine, sweet and delicious. A little thin, the head disappears. Left to settle prior to pouring it is very clear. Quite tasty and well balanced, hardly armageddon though. A sessional heavyish new school IPA, fresh and sweet with plenty of bitterness. Delicious from start to finish but just shy of great, there are a few elements missing. Nelson Sauvin, Cascade hops?

Boatrocker Brewing Alpha Queen 5.0%abv. Named after all the female hop flowers that go into the brew and their high alpha acid content. Beautifully clear coppery honey with a beady head which dissappears very rapidly. Aromas of fresh madiera cake, citrussy and sweet with a little spiciness. Smooth and well carbonated with lovely bitterness to balance the malt sweetness. Recommended served at 4 degrees but the flavour is released at a slightly higher temperature. A little sappy and spicy, syrupy but full of flavour and very enjoyable indeed, easily sessionable. Cascade and NZ Super Alpha hops, Munich and crystal malt. 37 IBU's.

Southern Tier IPA 6.5%abv. Clear coppery amber with a shiny uneven foamy head. Pine and stonefruit and rich malty aromas, can cloud and enrich the aromatics if agitated. Very well balanced, delicious sweet malt with complex hop flavours and bitterness. Passionfruit, pine and apricot, so much from this lovely American IPA.

I also picked up a bit of a rarity from an Aussie brewer,

Bridge Roads The Harvest 4.6%abv. I read about this stuff and its limited production and the local hopfields that go into the brew so I managed to track down a case. $120 later I can report on it. Slightly cloudy yellow (or clear if let to settle long enough) with a soft fluffy head. Intense citrus aromas, fresh and zesty, a little thin in body and flavour but sharp on the palate. Hints of juniper but predominantly sour orange. A little too gassy but quite enjoyable, the gassiness detracts from the flavour which doesn't live up to the amazing aromatics. Uses fresh hops from the Rostrevor hop garden from unique hop varieties. These fresh hops go in both the kettle and the conditioning tanks. If you let it settle and the gas to dissipate it is much better.

I have tried a ton of beers lately so it will take me some time to get all my notes together and get them up here, this should do for now though.

Last edited:

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Tokyo

Brewdog Tokyo Intergalactic Fantastic Oak Aged Stout 18.2%abv

I've waited a while to crack this one open, there were a few mates that wanted to have some of it and we got together yesterday to sample what was until a few months ago Britain's strongest beer.

I was surprised upon opening the bottle that there was very little gas, I was hoping it wasn't flat and when poured the head came up nicely. To call this beer dark would truly be an understatement, I held the chalice up to direct afternoon sunlight and could only make out a slight arc of ruby red on the edges. The head is soft and pillowy and releases the deepest and most complex malt aromas I've experienced in a very long time. There is so much to the aroma I could begin a laundry list of what was erupting from this brew, not surprising though is the distinct fortified wine and oak.

The flavour really was something else too, powerful and quite sweet and syrupy but it disguises the heady alcohol very well. Again it backs up the aromas with a diverse range of flavours, really delicious toasted malt with caramel and chicory with some dark chocolate and brandy. It grabs the back of your palate and leaves you with a warm peppery aftertaste that lingers for quite a while.

What a beer, definitely not for the feint of heart. Thank you Brewdog, I can't wait to try the Tactical Nuclear Penguin this coming Saturday.

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wig and Pen, Brewers IPA-hand pumped, cask aged, all things good in a beer. The only downside is the Wig and Pen doesn't bottle what they brew
Have to agree with that one. they also regularly run one of their regular brews through the hop infuser so there's always something a little different to try.

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Brewdog Tokyo Intergalactic Fantastic Oak Aged Stout 18.2%abv

I've waited a while to crack this one open, there were a few mates that wanted to have some of it and we got together yesterday to sample what was until a few months ago Britain's strongest beer.

I was surprised upon opening the bottle that there was very little gas, I was hoping it wasn't flat and when poured the head came up nicely. To call this beer dark would truly be an understatement, I held the chalice up to direct afternoon sunlight and could only make out a slight arc of ruby red on the edges. The head is soft and pillowy and releases the deepest and most complex malt aromas I've experienced in a very long time. There is so much to the aroma I could begin a laundry list of what was erupting from this brew, not surprising though is the distinct fortified wine and oak.

The flavour really was something else too, powerful and quite sweet and syrupy but it disguises the heady alcohol very well. Again it backs up the aromas with a diverse range of flavours, really delicious toasted malt with caramel and chicory with some dark chocolate and brandy. It grabs the back of your palate and leaves you with a warm peppery aftertaste that lingers for quite a while.

What a beer, definitely not for the feint of heart. Thank you Brewdog, I can't wait to try the Tactical Nuclear Penguin this coming Saturday.
Keep up the good work Fatman, I wait for your updates with beer baited breath..

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Mine arrived last monday. $72 all up as opposed to the $180that Acland Cellars are charging. Postage would have been $35 but due to an administrative loophole (-i.e it was sent to my parents house in Scotland and I got them to send it internationally, I'm sure I'll pay them back someday...) I only paid for the bottle. Haven't cracked it open yet. Keep getting it out and staring at it in all it's cheeky brown-paper bag glory!

In the meantime however I've been tucking into a few other interesting brews:

Emerson's Taieri George, which is a spicy kiwi brew that weighs in at a reasonable 6.5%. It certainly had a bit of spice to it alongside an earthy hint of belgian trappist ale. rather like bathing a christmas pudding in jalfrezi sauce and serving it up in a monestary.

Speaking of all things to do with Xmas, I also cracked open a bottle of Nøgne Ø's God Jul, which is Norwegian for Merry Christmas! Now, I know people complain about Xmas being marketed earlier and earlier each year and it is June but it was bloody freezing that night so I bought it anyway and donned my Santa hat for testing.
Anyhoo, it was absolutely lush! At the risk of repetition, this was indeed a Christmas Pudding in a glass with added liqorice, toffee, caramel and reindeer poo. I swear I thought my teeth were going to be stuck together after the first mouthful. Beautiful, beautiful stuff and ironically at $14 a bottle (longneck), still a lot cheaper than it would cost in it's home country!

EDIT: oh, yeah. The God Jul is a porter and it's 8.5%. Can't wait to try the rest of the brewer's range...

Last edited:

Arete

Likes Dirt
I recently bought myself a case of montieth's black beer as I was lazy with brewing and ran out of my own beers. Intrigued by its description as a "Mysterious dark beer blended from five premium malts to deliver complex biscuit, caramel, chocolate and coffee flavours."

Cracked one, poured it and it poured a thick creamy head, which was retained reasonably well. On the nose it had malty scents, with a background of English hops like Fuggles or Goldings. The first taste was decidedly disappointing. I can make this beer and probably better to my tastes. while not bad by any means it's hardly "mysterious". Malted barley and wheat in the main, with a touch of chocolate malt maybe - this makes the malty flavour quite subtle in comparison with a lot of dark beers. No bittering hops, but it does have late additions of one of the aromatic English hops, which gives it a subtle aroma and a vague lightness.

Overall, it's ok. Not a big gutsy beer but more a smooth subtle dark. One to maybe give to someone who says they don't like dark beer or something to drink in winter when you're not quite in the mood for a full on stout, but it's rainy out.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I haven't had the Monteiths for a little while but I find it a nice sessionable black lager, but you are right it's not nearly as punchy as a stout.

I've promised myself a bottle of Sink the Bismarck when my next pay comes in, I told my missus and she didn't bat an eyelid, epic win for me.

In other news I tried

Epic Brewing Mayhem 6.2%abv. This one promised much, it was brewed with the objective of destroying the palate of even the most serious hop head. Well it failed in that regard but it is one of the hoppiest and most lovely drinking ales I've had in a little while. There were loads of fresh citrussy aromatic hops backed up with a fair few bittering hops but nowhere near as intense as I was lead to believe. It pours a slightly cloudy burnt orange and a generous soft white head with loads of citrus and pine, some dried apricot there too. The malt provided enough sweetness to tame the hops and give it great body, I found it very drinkable and if it weren't so damn expensive I'd probably drink a fair few. I wrestled with the preconceptions I had about this beer, I was a little disappointed that it didn't try to kill me, I expected a Liverpool Kiss and got a more pleasant one instead.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I know it hasn't been long since my last post but I just got my hands on the new

Matilda Bay Long Shot 6%abv.
This one is a very limited release exclusive to Dan Murphy's, it's a coffee infused dark ale that uses coffee from Toby's Estate. I'm a big fan of Mikkeller's Beer Geek's Breakfast and of Meantime Coffee Porter so I hope this one will be as good.

It pours pitch black with a creamy brown head, the aroma of coffee is immediate and rich but there were other elements there, I swear there was peppermint in amongst the malt and subtle hops, not your standard coffee roast. It's quite warming and rich with a decent level of bitterness to round it out and the coffee flavour does linger with a hint of pepper.

There are a few things though, don't drink it cold, in this weather room temperature will do. That said it does get the aromas and flavours out but it does make the beer feel a little thin and prickly at times. The alcohol hides itself pretty well but I just realized that there is a shot of caffeine lurking in there too, not the best at night time when I'm more inclined to drink it, maybe I'll have to have it in the morning before work from now on?

It is a little different and maybe not quite as good and the Mikkeller or Meantime but it is quite a tasty little brew that won't be around for long.

The case set me back $87 though it's $17 a four pack or $5 each.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Brewdog Tactical Nuclear Penguin 32%

Okay, Saturday night was the night for cracking the big Brewdog, which was for a few months the world's strongest beer.

I was a little intimidated by this one I must say, I had heard all sorts of stories about it and they made this stuff out to be pretty brutal, still there has been enough written about how it's made and so on it was time to get drinking.
We did make a little video of the initial reactions but i won't be posting that up, instead I'll try to describe this enigmatic strong beer.

It opens with only a feint hint of carbonation and when poured is the colour of dark golden syrup and quite clear with a very fine bead. It had a head on it for only a few seconds and then nothing.

The aroma is the first thing that gets you, it is a little confusing in that it entices like a good aged bourbon or cognac with a alluring smokiness and rich malt but there is no escaping the alcohol that tingles the nostrils. I served it at room temperature to let the diverse range of aromas escape, the initial tease only gives a hint of what lies beneath.

The first sip is an assault on the palate, it just instantly fills your mouth with a warmth containing a vast array of flavours. The bitterness hits you second and is pretty full on, I don't think an IBU count would give an accurate indication of the bitterness in a conventional sense but if this were a regular beer it would be in triple figures.

The aftertaste just lingers on your palate for a very long time, it fills every nook and cranny of your mouth and doesn't let up. This is where I tasted most of the smokiness and fortified wine characteristics, there was still just so much going on. The predominant flavour on further tasting was a bitter cocoa, all the chocolatey flavours and aromas without the sweetness.

This is a very big beer, if you try to drink it like any conventional beer it will punish you. This stuff needs to be savored slowly like a fine whisky, it did take a while to get my head around it and to really enjoy it. It is just so different, challenging and so complex it is hard to really do it justice even with all this verbiage.

The debate will still rage over whether it is still a beer or not or whether it's just an expensive gimmick. I personally loved the beer as did the mate who tried it at the same time, my brother on the other hand told me he really didn't like it and compared it to bad whisky and it was far too bitter. This stuff was all about pushing the envelope and doing something different, that was achieved. Is it now my favourite beer? By no means, it's little brother Tokyo was far more enjoyable and approachable. Will I be trying the 41% Sink the Bismarck? Absolutely.

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Have to agree with that one. they also regularly run one of their regular brews through the hop infuser so there's always something a little different to try.
I tried their seasonal, this time Obama pale ale. That stuff is like hops served in a glass. Delicious, but so incredibly bitter. It was my 5th pint of the night and it still stood out as remarkably hoppy. Definately a slow beer to finish the night with. If you had it at the start, nothing else would have a taste.

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I tried their seasonal, this time Obama pale ale. That stuff is like hops served in a glass. Delicious, but so incredibly bitter. It was my 5th pint of the night and it still stood out as remarkably hoppy. Definately a slow beer to finish the night with. If you had it at the start, nothing else would have a taste.
I'll be back in a couple of weeks so I'll be keen to give it a try out. they do a couple of pale ales like that from time to time.

my favourite is still the chilli stout they did a year or so back (last winter I think) as well as the brewers IPA