Whats the best beer you've had & why?

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
Little Creatures Brewing Company. Single Batch 'Day of the Long Shadow'. 8.9%abv Spiced Ale.
Clear coppery amber with a firm but pillowy head. Rich malt but predominantly spicy creaming soda/sarsaparilla with undertones of gingerbread and clove. Properly warming with cinnamon and high alcohol this is smooth and perfectly weighted, just delicious, I have missed ales like this since moving back from the UK. After a while the aromatics fade to beery hop and yeast goodness but a quick swirl brings the head back up and the aromas come on strong again. Didn't refrigerate this one at all, straight off the shelf at about 12 degrees is just right. Not the best spiced ale I've ever had but it is very good. Made with allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg and dark muscovado sugar with UK Sovereign and Challenger hops.
Had this off tap at The Little Prince in Wollongong. I agree with most of what you've said here, I found the nutmeg to be very pronounced though- I think the spices really hid the high alcohol content for me, though there was still a slight fume-y aftertaste. I feel like I could have easily smashed a pint of this, but they wouldn't serve it anything bigger than halves. Red ale on steroids- I loved it!

Arvo Beer #34/#51 4.9% This was the result of the perfect lager project from Casella Family breweries that received an accompanying social media campaign you might have seen. I found them pretty interchangeable, I think I preferred the 51 more though- the 6 pack contains 3 of each. Standard premium lager fare- easily sessionable, dull hops and slightly overly carbonated but perfect for a party, which is where I took mine. Australian owned and made is easily the best Unique Selling Proposition to me.

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can I just ask where you guys pick up these beers from?
Your local, or is there some better shop around somewhere?

geoff_tewierik

Likes Dirt
For takeaways in Brisbane hit up Archive in West End, The Wine Emporium @ The Emporium and occasionally swing past Dan Murphy's and Vintage Cellars.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
All over the place:
Dan Murphy's
Jim's Cellars
Platinum Liquor
World Beers
Beer Cartel
Warners at the Bay
Amatos

Mail order from:
Internationalbeershop
Purvis Cellars
Slow Beer

And a few other places that I keep to myself.

KWICKS

Likes Dirt
Was introduced to one of the 'monk beers' last night - Trappist Quadruple.

Would love to give you tasting notes but after 2.6 std drinks in a bottle, I passed out after work after only one bottle! Still very lovely, I'd recommend the Blond too
The tripel is the best if you can find it. At Xmas they have 4 packs with a blonde, dubbel, tripel and quadruple with a glass.

KWICKS

Likes Dirt
MSB Mad Brewers Hoppy Hefe - quality in almost a long neck, but no point recommending it as I'm bullying up every bottle I can get my hands on! Sweet Hefeweizen with a solid kick - I won't be driving after the bottle is done. It's a little like a Chancer Golden Ale, but better, more complex.

Last edited:

KWICKS

Likes Dirt
Young's Double Chocolate Stout. Is this the perfect dessert beer? Chocolate and smoke on the palate, dark and mysterious in the glass. I'm a fan, but it's not an everyday drink.

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks Geoff and Fatman, I'll have a look when I get back down to Brisbane. I've heard there's an awesome boutique place in Milton on Park Road which is just down the road from me, so I'm keen to have a look at that.

Little Creatures Brewing Company. Single Batch 'Day of the Long Shadow'. 8.9%abv Spiced Ale.
Clear coppery amber with a firm but pillowy head. Rich malt but predominantly spicy creaming soda/sarsaparilla with undertones of gingerbread and clove. Properly warming with cinnamon and high alcohol this is smooth and perfectly weighted, just delicious, I have missed ales like this since moving back from the UK. After a while the aromatics fade to beery hop and yeast goodness but a quick swirl brings the head back up and the aromas come on strong again. Didn't refrigerate this one at all, straight off the shelf at about 12 degrees is just right. Not the best spiced ale I've ever had but it is very good. Made with allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg and dark muscovado sugar with UK Sovereign and Challenger hops.

Had this both off the tap @ the LC Brewhouse in Fitzroy, and out of the bottle at home.

Fantastic both times.

geoff_tewierik

Likes Dirt
Thanks Geoff and Fatman, I'll have a look when I get back down to Brisbane. I've heard there's an awesome boutique place in Milton on Park Road which is just down the road from me, so I'm keen to have a look at that.
That'd be The Scratch bar. Great place, and preferable over The Archive for a sit and sip beer night.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Haand Bryggeriet AS. 'Odin's Tipple'. 11%abv Dark Norse Ale (Barley Wine)
On buying this my local bottle shop owner said to me 'Be careful brother, this is some funky shit', I had to get into this Norwegian as fast as possible. Pours very dark chocolatey brown with a very restrained almost non existent bronzey dark brown head that fades very rapidly. Very rich dark chocolate aromas, woody sour fruits and mountains of malt, quite complex brandy and fruit cake, I'm sold from the first whiff of this. Very silky smooth and warming, no real carbonation to speak of it is almost I dare say flat. Quite a moody brew with so many flavours fighting to get out, there are a few hops lingering in the background but this is a malt driven beer in a big way. Not too sweet or dry initially but with a bittersweet finish and warms all the way down the throat. It does get a little easy to drink which can be dangerous at this concentration, 4.3 standard drinks per 500ml bottle, but fortunately the price per bottle will prevent over indulgence. This one is best enjoyed as a slow sipper at room temperature, though after a while the flavour does get a little cloying.

Odins Tipple.jpg

Last edited:

Trigger02

Likes Bikes and Dirt
On buying this my local bottle shop owner said to me 'Be careful brother, this is some funky shit', I had to get into this Norwegian as fast as possible. Pours very dark chocolatey brown with a very restrained almost non existent bronzey dark brown head that fades very rapidly. Very rich dark chocolate aromas, woody sour fruits and mountains of malt, quite complex brandy and fruit cake, I'm sold from the first whiff of this. Very silky smooth and warming, no real carbonation to speak of it is almost I dare say flat. Quite a moody brew with so many flavours fighting to get out, there are a few hops lingering in the background but this is a malt driven beer in a big way. Not too sweet or dry initially but with a bittersweet finish and warms all the way down the throat. It does get a little easy to drink which can be dangerous at this concentration, 4.3 standard drinks per 500ml bottle, but fortunately the price per bottle will prevent over indulgence. This one is best enjoyed as a slow sipper at room temperature, though after a while the flavour does get a little cloying.

View attachment 238798
HOW DO I GET THIS BEER?????????????????????? :help:

nikmcc

Likes Dirt

View attachment 238798
I've had a few of the other Haand Bryggerietbeers, great stuff!
One was a smoked porter. Very interesting, tasted like drinking smokey bacon:beer:
Sounds strange, but it worked.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
Holgate Hopinator Double IPA 7% Had this on draught at my local small bar in Wollongong. It's not really a double IPA, but it's still a tasty beer if you're into American Pale Ales. Initial piney bitterness typical of the style gives way to citrus fruit and a bitterness that makes its presence known, but doesn't linger too long. It's about a rung below Sierra Nevada's Torpedo IPA, and it's easy enough to drink a couple- definitely a good one.

La Chouffe Belgian Blonde 8% Got this one from a bottle at the same bar, shared the 750mL with a friend. I'm not a massive fan of the rich Belgians but this one was great. Pours a murky blonde with a large white head that doesn't dissipate (unless you stick a finger in your ear then swirl it around the top of the beer). I don't remember much of how this tasted, but I thought it was pretty good, rather sweet but not sickeningly so.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bear Republic Brewing Co. 'Hop Rod Rye' 8%abv. Speciality Ale (Rye Ale)
Made with 18% Rye. Clear coppery amber with a beautifully soft light brown head and a very fine lazy bead, it's not filtered but let it settle for a few days and you should be right. Beautiful spicy aromatics, don't be turned off when I say whiteboard cleaner and felt tipped marker backed up with big sweet malt and resinous hop bitterness. Excellent balance and a challenging complexity that makes this a fantastic drop. Quite good weight, gets a little syrupy towards the end of the 650ml bottle, I never wanted to rush this one, it is a great drop. (Still prefer the Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye though.)

BRBCHopRodRye.jpg

Last edited: