Whats the best beer you've had & why?

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not a beer at all but previously a malt based beverage - Subzero has been re-released today. No longer an alcoholic soda but a vodka citrus mix.

http://www.dailylife.com.au/dl-food/taste-of-the-90s-sub-zero-is-back-20141117-11odf5.html

20 years ago it was released around the same time as my year 12 formal things got very messy for the next several years thanks to this stuff. I went and bought a box this evening and unfortunately it aint a patch on the old one, too sweet, too small a bottle and no grenadine/black sambuca/midori/random spirit to drop in the top. Also found out my 20 year high school reunion will be on next month, mix some of this in could make for interesting results.

Back to beer reviews next time I promise.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Clearly a new generation of teeny-boppers have come of age and it's time to dust off what worked last time and re-hash it for the n00bs.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Clearly a new generation of teeny-boppers have come of age and it's time to dust off what worked last time and re-hash it for the n00bs.
Indeed, but alcohol has been doing the same job in different guises for a long time.

To be honest after a few it really just tastes like vodka and cheap lemonade with a hint of fruit tingles. Same formula works for fleecing people when nostalgic fools like me will pay top dollar for this stuff just for a sniff of their misspent youth.

h2oxide

Likes Bikes
Hoegaarden before it was bought out straight off tap - Mmmmmmmmmmm.
I love my IPAs and have been enjoying Feral Hop Hog quite a bit as of late. It sure as hell lives up to its name, minus the Feral.

uglybob

Likes Bikes
I love my IPAs and have been enjoying Feral Hop Hog quite a bit as of late. It sure as hell lives up to its name, minus the Feral.
just picked up a 4 pack tonight to enjoy - such a good drop. its on tap at my fav local too which is sweet. when the brewery is 30mins away you know you're always getting fresh stuff!

h2oxide

Likes Bikes
just picked up a 4 pack tonight to enjoy - such a good drop. its on tap at my fav local too which is sweet. when the brewery is 30mins away you know you're always getting fresh stuff!
I'm also in Perth, alas a tad SOR so I'm not too close to the brewery itself but can enjoy it off tap at a fair few places.

taquar

Likes Dirt
Currently a big fan of the James Squire One Fifty Lashes, the pale ale. Also enjoy a bit of Monteiths apple cider. Only good one I've found since I got hooked on the stuff in Bath in the UK. Its delicious!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Those Constable Copper Ales are pretty decent.

There's a new local brewery in Canberra called the Bent Spoke, about 20 beers on their list. Very worth a visit if you're in town.

Let me know if you are, I may join you!

kl3ggy

Likes Dirt
Hokkaido is probably the nicest beer i have had in a while. Better than Asahi in my opinion which rated pretty highly. So crisp and fresh.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Lately that has been my staple choice too. Very nice drop.
I'm so over it. It's the only beer on tap in my local that isn't Carlton, VB or Tooheys so by default it's my drink of choice there. It was alright for a while but I'm not a massive fan of traditional Aussie pales and it soon started to rub me the wrong way.

Gripo

Eats Squid
I'm so over it. It's the only beer on tap in my local that isn't Carlton, VB or Tooheys so by default it's my drink of choice there. It was alright for a while but I'm not a massive fan of traditional Aussie pales and it soon started to rub me the wrong way.
I like it but......bought a ctn of it when it was on special last month....

Soon got sick of it towards the end of the 2nd six pack...even drinking it from a glass...

In no way is it a stubbie/all the time beer for me, but something to remind you that the all day beers are dribble...

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah a lot of these beers aren't drink all night beers for me. That kind of beer is a throw-down like Becks, Asahi and light, crisp type beers. After about 8 strong flavoured beers I start to get a gummed up mouth.

What kind of pub these days only has the mainstream VB/Tooheys Carlton on tap? Pretty much every pub I go to these days has more selection than I can handle - Squires, Little Creatures, some shit about hot chips, Coopers, etc. etc.

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My staple is Coopers pale ale, its an easy repeatable throw down.

Also loving the hop thief!
Amen to that. There's not a lot of specialty bottlo's where I am so it's the best beer I can get my hands on with ease. I've been on it for a number of years now but can't help notice the ridiculous price influx. A box used to cost somewhere between $40-$44, now I'm seeing it anywhere from $45-$55!

gpmtb

Likes Bikes
Southern Ocean Ale

One of these fine pale ales is barely hitting the sides right now. Love the local mart stocking a few boutiqueish selections. Highly recommend this one brewed in geelong area, Victoria.

stirk

Burner
I
Amen to that. There's not a lot of specialty bottlo's where I am so it's the best beer I can get my hands on with ease. I've been on it for a number of years now but can't help notice the ridiculous price influx. A box used to cost somewhere between $40-$44, now I'm seeing it anywhere from $45-$55!
Yeah Coopers pricing is like petrol, changes almost daily but i can't figure out the cycle. Ranges from $44 to $52 in my area.

Still a great staple brew.

Spent my teenage and 20's on the (red) sparkling ale and that puts you on your feet quick!!

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
What kind of pub these days only has the mainstream VB/Tooheys Carlton on tap? Pretty much every pub I go to these days has more selection than I can handle - Squires, Little Creatures, some shit about hot chips, Coopers, etc. etc.
It's a 2 pub town and the other pub is a TAB joint so there's no chance even of even James Squires there.

To be fair my local does have Little Creatures' Roger on tap but it's practically a midstrength (that Little Creatures criminally charge a premium price for)

It's annoying as the amount of tourist trade they get in during the holidays and events like the Moto GP mean they should at least have one decent premium lager and maybe a guest ale or two...