Whats wrong with my brake????

thompo

Likes Dirt
I recently bought a bike from someone and after i guess lieing about the condition I've noticed that the brake lever isn't right. From where the brake lever is attached to the component it is wobbly and i can push it up and down without ease. It worrys me because there doesn't seem to be a bolt that conects these two. It seems to pass through both of the components but without a head to the screw to tighten. The brakes are Hayes but i'm not too sure what model or year it is. I've added some pic's but my camera has a poor flash and when I took the pic's today lighting was poor. Hope someone can help me.

thanks.

(P.S i know the brakes are in bad condition... the guy sort of lied)

Attachments

v1llage1d1ot

Likes Dirt
does your camera have poor auto focus also? I don't think there is much you can do except learn that not everyone out there is as honest as we'd like them to be.

BLAKE-2234

Likes Bikes and Dirt
easy fix new brakes there are an aray of brakes for sale out there for as little as 350 for a front and rear set (i am talking hydros) so id look here on the forums and you will find a good deal or look at your lbs i am sure they would have some cheapos from someone upgrading to sell you

cheers blake

|Matt|

Banned
Is there a lot of play, or just a little bit. The lever is supposed to have a little bit of play.

thompo

Likes Dirt
Is there a lot of play, or just a little bit. The lever is supposed to have a little bit of play.
i can move the lever up and down vertically about a 1cm each way approx. It probably moves inwards 1cm freely too. Its a hydro if i didn't mention so.

Customjimmy

Likes Dirt
No worries I think. The play can be stopped by inserting thin washers on the pivot bolt either side of the lever and inside the casing (the pivot bolt will have a hex screw head both sides. The 'bolt with no screw end' thing you are looking at screws onto the pushrod, which you will be able to see if you look from the end of the lever. The pushrod will have a hex bolt socket in the end for adjusting lever reach. The play just means everything will wear out quicker but it's not the end of the earth.

*edit* The play inwards suggests a bleed may be in order as well. Better photos will tell if I've described the problem correctly.

thompo

Likes Dirt
thanks alot jimmy i'm just going to go see if i've got any washers around the house. Found out the model is mag's if anyone else has any ideas.

Customjimmy

Likes Dirt
thanks alot jimmy i'm just going to go see if i've got any washers around the house. Found out the model is mag's if anyone else has any ideas.

I've got the same model mags that had a lot of play when I got them second hand. Fixed the front as described above and left the rear alone and never had a problem.

thompo

Likes Dirt
well mine is the rear. i just had a look at it and ther is only one washer in it and room for another which i will put in. Just wondering Jimmy how do you take the screw out?

Customjimmy

Likes Dirt
With allen (hex) keys. From memory the bolts on either side are two different sizes so one set of hex keys will do you. One half screws into the other half.

thompo

Likes Dirt
I've had a look at the pivot bolt and i'm not too sure how to remove it. I can't see any fittings for the allen key as its just a round entrance. what to do now? :confused:

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well either you are looking at the wrong bit, or it has been rounded by the previous owner. If its rounded, unless you want to go about cutting slots in it etc, you'll have to put up with it.

Customjimmy

Likes Dirt
check the other side, hopefully that one's still intact. This probably won't help you unfortunately but it will tell if you're looking at the right bolt. If the hex socket is stripped you'll need an easyout for about 6 bucks which will in your case hold the stripped bolt while the other side turns. If they are both stripped you should drill the bolt out and ask around farkin for a replacement.

thompo

Likes Dirt
cheers guys, i think i should take it down to my lbs though just for them to check it and give me their opinion.

benni

Banned
You know what theyll do alex, strip the bolts and say it was your fault. i think a rear hydro is an over kill for what you will be using the bike for. best advice from me would be to chuck a mech on. youll never have any problems after that. :cool:

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Its a HAYES MAG brake and the pin that the lever pivots on is an INTERFERENCE fit, therefore you need to 'press' the pin out gently (or lightly with a hammer and pin punch...)
Do yourself a favour, got to the HAYES web site, download the instructions for rebuild. My 8 year old son can rebuild these brakes blind-folded, so it shouldnt be too hard for you wih a decent set of instructions........
Need anymore help, email me : skwiz05@yahoo.com

Many people on this site seem to hate HAYES, but I just think they are misunderstood.....(I run 5 sets of them on all my bikes.....never had problems cause I look after them...)

Cheers.........

(PS...a few people are WRONG here.....the HAYES NINE has the 'hex' bolt as a pivot bolt....the MAG has a PIN...)

Last edited: