Wheel Build Advice Thread

CHEWY

Eats Squid
The one before broke in the straight section about an inch up from the j-bend... then got jammed in the mech and wrecked the chain.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Go 2.0-1.8-2.0 double-butted, they'll build a much more resilient wheel. Spokes stretch under load, more than most people realise. Straigh-gauge spokes have the same stretch characteristic the whole length, and that concentrates stress at the ends. Double-butts have different stretch characteristics; having more robust ends coupled to a thinner shaft takes some of the stress from the ends, so they're less likely to break, as long as they're tensioned properly.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
82kg, back wheel, rim is good...
I will replace the lot... Do I do the rest with the same straight 2.0mm from the LBS @ $2 ea? Or should I get a set or something better?
Just want it to be reliable and not constantly replacing spokes/tensioning
Replace all spokes. Go for double butted 2/1.8 Sapim or Dt spokes and brass nipples.

If you haven't got a stand and tensiometer find a good builder. Vanilla cycles, Play bikes or TWE if you are in Sydney.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
At the moment, best to go through your LBS, 'cos international post is up the shit, and Aus Post is worse. Take a spoke out of each side of each wheel, and measure them from the inside of the elbow to the tip to determine the lengths. Make a note of which size fits where!

safreek

Font worry, phone started working, but another question, is this just a normal hope hubs with 12mm spacers

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone had issues with Park TM-1 tensiometer tightening up?

I thought my spokes felt soft even though the meter was showing around 140kgf. Today I went and took half a turn out of the rear wheel and then used the meter and the tensions weren’t changing. Took another half turn out and found the gauge wasn’t returning back to zero. Subsequent squeezes were tightening the pivot bolt and causing binding of the gauge. It got that bad that it wouldn’t go below 30 on the gauge when not measuring a spoke.
Ended up loosening the pivot bolt and it appears to measure properly now. Spokes feel much tighter at 120kgf on the gauge now.
Has anyone else had a similar problem?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Can't say I've encountered that one before. Have had springs go soft, which will give falsely high readings, then they break....

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can't say I've encountered that one before. Have had springs go soft, which will give falsely high readings, then they break....
This is a brand new meter and first wheels built using it. I had a feeling it wasn’t reading correctly but that confirmed it. Seems to be better after backing off the screw though.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
I snapped another spoke yesterday which went through the rim strip and flatted the tyre... that's 3 in one week. Snapped about an inch up from the j-bend.
I decided to replace the rest with the same DT Champions I've been getting from the shop, as I'm riding every day at the minute and didn't want to loose time waiting for spokes.
I've just looked at what they have given me and they're not DT's, there's no marking on the head.

I'm planning on taking them back and just ordering a full set of DT Comps online (they wanted $6 a spoke for comps???) , or am I being pedantic and just use what I've got and they will be fine?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I snapped another spoke yesterday which went through the rim strip and flatted the tyre... that's 3 in one week. Snapped about an inch up from the j-bend.
I decided to replace the rest with the same DT Champions I've been getting from the shop, as I'm riding every day at the minute and didn't want to loose time waiting for spokes.
I've just looked at what they have given me and they're not DT's, there's no marking on the head.

I'm planning on taking them back and just ordering a full set of DT Comps online (they wanted $6 a spoke for comps???) , or am I being pedantic and just use what I've got and they will be fine?
Sapims don't have a marking on the head, its close to the j-bend.

Pillars and Dts have head markings.

Dirtworks have an Ebay store where you can order spokes and nipples from.
See
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/254421938249

CHEWY

Eats Squid
I can't see any markings at all on them.. considering they charged me $60 for 24 no name spokes I guess I'll return them and get some DT comps.

PJO

in me vL comy
Sapims don't have a marking on the head, its close to the j-bend.

Pillars and Dts have head markings.

Dirtworks have an Ebay store where you can order spokes and nipples from.
See
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/254421938249

You can order directly from Dirtworks if you don't want to use the ebay store just add to cart and go to check out, you will create an account at checkout. Will save on doubling up postage if you buy more than one item.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
Dirtworks are closing out DT spokes and don't have the lengths I need.
They are stocking Pillar spokes instead, are these comparable?