Wheel building and Loctite?

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've never used Loctite for wheel building

Had a set built up a while ago and just snapped a spoke and it broke off inside the nipple, builder used RED Loctite, why RED fuck knows!

I think the Loctite contributed to the failure

Anyone else had any similar experiences?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

linkl8r

Likes Dirt
Dan at Shifter Bikes recommends 222 AFAIK, which is purple. Red seems like it would be too strong for me.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Don't go back to that wheelbuilder except to ram the wheel up their arse.

Use grease and adequate, balanced tension.

The Dude

Wasn't asking to be banned
Maybe not as it seems

Different brands use different colours; it may be a low- or medium-strength and something else was the cause
I think the DT Swiss "Spoke Loctite" is red in colour

LPG

likes thicc birds
I can understand loctite on a wheel that is expected to be ridden and unmaintained when it leaves the shop. If you actually maintain your bike there is no reason you would want any loctite there, just a dab of grease. You want the nipple to rotate on the threads freely after a few rides to adjust once the spokes and every once in a while after that. Nothing shits me more than rounding off a nipple on a perfectly good wheelset, especially when you have to replace your tubeless tape just to fix it.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Don't go back to that wheelbuilder except to ram the wheel up their arse.

Use grease and adequate, balanced tension.
This (I use light oil).

Having said that Loctite would not cause failure described by OP, build quality will.

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Haha, that advice is for wheelbuilding. When ramming wheels up people's arses use no lube for maximum discomfort.

I've had spokes break on the workstand because the dumfuks at DT put glue in their nipples. :rant:

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm not condoning Loctite in wheels, but how does it relate to the spoke breakage?
I think it's to do with the wheels liking a tiny bit of give in the spoke threads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm not condoning Loctite in wheels, but how does it relate to the spoke breakage?
When the tension on a spoke ramps up to a point, the spoke either slightly rotates in the nipple thread or, when the nipple is loctited, the spoke just rips out at a weak point which will be at the start of the thread or the j-bend of the spoke.
I'd rather have a loose spoke than one break and spin it's way around the frame/drivetrain/fork.

Would never use loctite building wheels. DT Swiss have taken down their product info about how to use Spoke Freeze. Basically it is not meant to be applied when lacing the wheel, only a small drop applied to each spoke AFTER the wheel has been trued and tensioned. It is NOT a spoke prep oil/grease.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Hard to imagine loctite causing a spoke to break but, like others have said, it is totally unnecessary and will only be a PITA for future truing or rebuilding. Linseed oil is also a total wank.

binner

Hath shat hymself
doofus

maybe I'm a fool but I've built a few many wheels now and I go dry dry.....haven't had any real dramas. All I do is after a few rides retension and ride......

thanks ....bye......

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I have a set of wheel that I've built up long ago that has the Loctite impregnated nipples. They have stayed put and nothing has loosened up. I just might have built them up well to being though.

The downside is that truing the wheel later is a headache since the nipples just don't move easily and hence need more oomph and are then more prone to being rounded off as you fire off colourful language to said nipple of Loctite.