Wheel building - question from first timer regarding ERD

sukebe

Likes Dirt
So I've got some enduro wheels that I'm thinking to swap out the rims for something lighter for XC duties. The current rims are dt Swiss E512 with ERD OF 562, the rims I'm looking to change to are Easton Arc 24 with ERD of 558.

My question is, will I be able to reuse the spokes from the current build, or is 4mm difference in ERD too much?

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I would say too much. Punch the numbers into a spoke calculator and see what comes out the other end.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Also, check the ERD on the rims, the listed number is rarely correct.

#knuckleswasadrunkenchunt

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Have a look at your existing built wheels from the rim bed and see what the spoke/nipple head engagement is like. If there is lots of thread (eg 1-2mm) poking out the top of the nipple on your current rims, then a smaller ERD rim may not work. If all of the spokes are at the nipple slot or below, then you should be good.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
So I've got some enduro wheels that I'm thinking to swap out the rims for something lighter for XC duties. The current rims are dt Swiss E512 with ERD OF 562, the rims I'm looking to change to are Easton Arc 24 with ERD of 558.

My question is, will I be able to reuse the spokes from the current build, or is 4mm difference in ERD too much?
4mm difference in ERD is a lot, so I'd say no.
Also depends on which side of the actual length your original spokes are. ie- where they shorter or longer than the calculated requirements.

Have a look inside the nipple holes and see how much (if any) spoke thread is coming through the nipple head.

You could look at going 2 cross rather than 3 cross and see how close your lengths will be?

Wicksie

Likes Dirt
Find someone with a spoke cutter!
Agree with above, 4mm noooo, 1mm go.

I think they say 2mm is definite max?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Pick out the longer spokes and use them on the outside run of the hub and use shims under the spoke heads if they are slightly too long. You need to measure the existing spokes and go from there.

Last edited: