Wheel size

W.bat

Likes Dirt
Hi I have been out of the loop for a few years and am looking at setting up for a trip riding in the states next year. Most big day out cross country/ enduro. real hills, real mountains.

My last bike which I loved was a Giant trance 26 inch. I hear this size is no longer the go.

What wheel size is most appropriate? I have heard that 29 inch is fading a bit and I have heard contrary.

Any advise appreciated.

Thanks

GRPABT1

Likes Dirt
29er isn't fading, it's still very very good for a purpose. XC bikes are almost all exclusively 29er and recent times have seen manufacturers make some very good trail and even enduro bikes in 29". Tracey Mosley races a 29er in the Enduro World Series and she's not a big girl. For mile munching the big wheel is king and given a decent platform can make a very forgiving descending bike.

That said I ride 27.5 and 27.5+ because I find it more playful and fun, it's like 26" but a little better. After all, fun is why we ride right?

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
I have heard that 29 inch is fading a bit
I only hear this when I step foot into a Giant retailer. If anything 29ers have been making a resurgence lately.

Best bet as usual is to throw a leg over a few different bikes in both wheel sizes to get a feel for what you prefer.

W.bat

Likes Dirt
I only hear this when I step foot into a Giant retailer. If anything 29ers have been making a resurgence lately.

Best bet as usual is to throw a leg over a few different bikes in both wheel sizes to get a feel for what you prefer.
Funny thing was I did hear it in a giant shop!!!!

Thanks.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Funny thing was I did hear it in a giant shop!!!!

Thanks.
A lot of brands have the same bike in a 650b and 29er, and we'll see more with the 650b plus size if you can't decide
Special have a really good demo program, so that's a good opportunity to throw a leg over both in (controlled) anger and test them out. Many other shops and brands run demo days, but usually not till (Oz) springtime.
2017 stock is landing in the us now, and in Oz in the next few months. Some deals to be had with end of line 16 stock

I see brands are basing 29er and 27.5 models on frame size. I personally have a 29er XC bike and a 29er trail both in large frame....I wouldn't go anything else.