wheel truing out of round question

converge11

Likes Dirt
gday, ive just got a racing bmx cruiser here and upon first ride i noticed the rear wheel feeling a tad bumpy. i put it up on a workstand and checked the side wobble. it was bugger all, like .5 of a mm out. but as for roundness, it was about 2mm in one spot and 1.5-2mm in another spot.

first of all i was wondering what acceptable limit do most people live with before they start pulling out the truing stand and nipple spanner? am i being very picky with 2mm here and there? i think its mainly that its in two spots that makes it feel very lumpy.

and the main question (in regards to all sized wheels in general) how do you go about adjusting the spoke nipples to get roundness back in the wheel? im guessing this is a much bigger problem than getting side wobble as obviously its going to change the dish and side wobble while trying to pull it back into round. ive searched youtube but nearly every vid just shows how to fix side wobble spots.

am i mad to even consider trying to fix this myself? or should i just take it in the shop and give them the money rather than buy the tools and stand.

cheers :pirate:

Hey mate getting rid of hops in wheels is quite difficult! I regularly replace spokes and true wheels at work but still have trouble getting hops out of a rim, so I'd suggest taking it to your LBS as they would be able to give you the best result!

converge11

Likes Dirt
never thought i was going to get a reply to this thread since i posted it months ago haha. cheers mate, i thought that might be the case.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have you ever seen the Sheldon Brown website??? I did some reading quite a while back, very involved instructions there in regards to wheel building! I recall some of it having to do with trueing for out of round. Can't say I've ever attempted the task, although it did help me true a wheel to a reasonable degree for a beginner!

http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html