Wheel truing

chromer

Likes Bikes
Anyone know anybody that can true up my new wheels? I live in Noosa and am hoping to get them trued up, as I will be traveling and won't have time to finish them before I leave. I have already laced them up, they just need trued....

Cheers

Slowman

Likes Dirt
If you've laced them up, err....why don't you just finish the job?

I see time is an issue but it takes me around an hour to 90 mins to build a wheel from scratch to trued up and finished. What I'm getting at and what concerns me is, it sounds like they need a lot of work. When I first lace up a wheel I do each nipple up so there are 6 threads showing, then starting from your key spoke, 2 to 3 times round doing giving each nipple 2 revolutions. After the 3rd time around I make minor adjustments to true. Sometimes on the 3rd time only 1 revolution each nipple and then maybe a couple of times around the wheel doing 1 full turn each nipple. Then once around again to check true. Then a couple of times around with a half turn on each nipple. Then once more around to check true. If you proceed like this it more or less gets built in true.

Won't help you now, next time maybe...and a wheel building/truing stand makes this a lot easier. What did you use?

FatMuz

Likes Dirt
Anyone know anybody that can true up my new wheels? I live in Noosa and am hoping to get them trued up, as I will be traveling and won't have time to finish them before I leave. I have already laced them up, they just need trued....

Cheers
I might be able to help. I live just down the road at Coolum, I have a truing stand and have built a few sets of wheels.
If you want a retail option, the mechanic at Revolution Cycles (Kawana) is very experienced and fast at Truing wheels. What hubs, rims and spokes are you using... can make a difference to the ease of truing.
Cheers
Murray (FatMuz)

chromer

Likes Bikes
appreciate the help...

I have the front wheel laced up and in good shape as far as being straight, the problem is without the aid of a quality truing stand I am having trouble getting it within 2mm of center, its sitting at 4mm off center... I feel this is too much?

This is the first time building my own wheels and using it as a good opportunity to learn, just maybe need a little assistance from someone nearby with experience?

The rear is only laced up and waiting for some of my time!

Front wheel: 20mm Kore hub on Nuke proof generator wheels with 2mm spokes

Rear wheel: XT hub with same wheel and spoke

Cheers

FatMuz

Likes Dirt
Sounds like the issue is with "Dishing" rather than overall truing. Like I said, I'm 15 mins down the road and have all the wheel building gear (including a Park Tool Dishing gauge). I'm on holidays at the moment and have time to spare so give me a call if you'd like to drop round...

Murray 0410070329

Cheers

chromer

Likes Bikes
truing

Sounds like the issue is with "Dishing" rather than overall truing. Like I said, I'm 15 mins down the road and have all the wheel building gear (including a Park Tool Dishing gauge). I'm on holidays at the moment and have time to spare so give me a call if you'd like to drop round...

Murray 0410070329

Cheers
Many Thanks Murray,

I am away on a work trip until Sunday, I'll try and ring you next week and see how your time looks!

Cheers

Mike