Wheelbuilding spoke sizes-Same size on rear???

Cano29

Likes Dirt
Hi guys,

I'm going to have a crack at building my own DH/FR wheels.

-Nukeproof Generator DH rims 32h ERD 539mm
-Sunringle Jumping fleas F+R (150mm)
-DT Swiss Champion plain 14 gauge spokes 14mm nipples
-3x pattern

I've been talking to some tech support at a bike shop and they recommend the following spokes

Front-258mm and 260mm
Rear-258mm both sides

They said that because the hub has the same flange diameters (58.1mm) on both sides that you can get away with using the same size spoke on each side. My question is that wouldn't you still need different sizes due to the freehub body off-centering the center of the hub to the frame?

Thanks a lot,

Jayden.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Depends on the hub and how it is offset.

Dt swiss have a good online calculator to double check
http://spokes-calculator.dtswiss.com/Welcome.aspx?language=en

Go select user defined for both hub and rim.
You have your erd
Pitch circle diameter is the 58.1
Flange distance is distance from center to flange. (Width of hub divided by 2 minus distance from out side to flange is easiest way to measure)
Spoke hole diameter is normally 2mm
you have your no of spokes
and 3 intersections for standard build

Last edited:

guitar1234

Likes Dirt
most rear 150mm hubs have no offset flanges, they are exactly the same for some reason that escapes me...

D_Nine

I think Sun Ringle have the hub dimensions on their website. One of the reasons to go 150 was to keep everything even L to R so is quite possible lengths could be the same.Use an offset jig sometimes you may need to give the drive side a few extra turns, maybe 2 or 3. Search for Sheldon Brown in google, wheel building guru.

brendonj

Likes Dirt
I think Sun Ringle have the hub dimensions on their website. One of the reasons to go 150 was to keep everything even L to R so is quite possible lengths could be the same.Use an offset jig sometimes you may need to give the drive side a few extra turns, maybe 2 or 3. Search for Sheldon Brown in google, wheel building guru.
Not quite. The hub still needs the disc side flange pushed inwards a fair way to make them symmetrical around the centre of the rim. Some hubs do this some don't.

D_Nine

Just checked the hub dimensions on the Ringle website. Flange diam same both sides, flange to centre line varies 5.3mm between sides. Hence same length spoke, minimal variance.

Cano29

Likes Dirt
Thanks a lot for the info. I think I'm going to go with the 258's on both sides. Thanks for the links I will give them a read. I laced a trials rear wheel to sheldon browns guide and it worked great. This will be my first DH wheelset, hopefully it will come out o.k.

Thanks again for all the help.

Jayden.