Wheels: 150mm hub spacing chris king, hadley.. + rims

Robb

Likes Dirt
Just got a VP-Free..
And will need to be buying a rear hub (and getting wheels built) sometime soon. Was just wondering if chris king make 150mm hubs? (checked website etc.)

Otherwise I will get a Hadley. Is there any advantages in the chris kings over the hadley's - there is a fair bit of price differnce. Other options would be DT swiss?

For rims was looking at the syncros DPS32 as its fairly light weight for a freeride/downhill type rim, and i love the white rims... How would it compare to a Mag 30 or a Mavic 729? - I have heard that the DT swiss rims aren't so good.

Spokes will be alpine III

Ozza

Eats Squid
Unsure with the hubs mate but i know the syncros rim hasnt got welded eyelets. I have ran mag 30s and sycross rims and i didnt really notice the strength difference but i noticed a big weight difference. If i was you i would go the sun mtx. I am running them at the moment and so far they are the best rim i have ridden at a great price!

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
King only make 135's qr/10mm bolt up.

Go with the hadley, sweet hubs, i use one on my DH bike. Otherwsie a hope or a DT swiss 440 would do, don't get ringles as parts are hard to get, cheapest option would be a formula.

deano-g

Squid
Just built up a Mavic 721, DT Comp spokes and DT Hugi FR (32 Hole) rear for my VP Free.

Only been one one proper ride, but it works for me, and dosnt weigh a tonne.

Deano

Ev

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the syncros rims are awesome. I use the (discontinued) DPS 36 on my DH bike in white. The joins are not welded, but they are pinned AND sleeved so the strength of the join wont be an issue. As for the eyelets, well no eyelets are welded (i think BoRn2RiDe is thinking of the joins), but they are double eyeletted, really nice touch. The white finish is sweet, seems to be pretty tough too, i haven't managed to scratch or chip mine yet.
Go for hadley hubs, in 108point if you can, it'll probably be your best option. The only other one i would consider is the DT Hugi 440 if you want a slightly lighter build.

Robb

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the help guys...

Think I will go for gold Hadley hubs with silver spokes and white syncros rims for my white VP free :D Should ride and look good.

Ev

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Robb said:
Thanks for the help guys...

Think I will go for gold Hadley hubs with silver spokes and white syncros rims for my white VP free :D Should ride and look good.
Have you considered Red Hadley hubs, Black spoke, Red Nipples on the white rims and frame?
That would look awesome (IMO). You could also do the same configuration but using blue and it would also look great.

Adam 74

Likes Dirt
I have DT hugi FR and Mag 30's on my VP Free. I give the mag 30 a fair hiding and it seems to be holding up ok. No complaints about the hub either.

Attachments