Wheelset advice: DT swiss or sun ringle charger pro?

cameron_15

Eats Squid
Just got myself a GT Force Carbon expert (Blew the budget a little :tape:) and I would like a little advice regarding Wheels.

Here is the bike in question (well, mine is the same as this)...dsc00198.jpg

It has DT Swiss 350 hubs on EA540 rims, not a bad wheelset I think, just not tubeless... I now see that dirtworks have sun ringle charger pro Tubeless wheelsets on sale... What are peoples thoughts on these wheels? Are they any good? are the DT's Better?

Cheers, Cameron

Last edited:

Capt.Gumby

Likes Dirt
Nice bike. You will love the Force. I have a GT Force 2 and have updated the crap out it. The only original parts are the frame, forks and rear shock. Everything else has been slowly upgraded over the past 12 months.

The reason for my reply is to suggest having a go with the adjustable post with the lever first and see how you go. I purchased the X Fusion Hilo 12 months ago and it came with both options of the lever below the seat and the handlebar mount. I have tried both but really did prefer the under seat lever as it is simple, easy to use and less clutter on the bars, no cable to maintain etc

MTB Wanabe

Likes Dirt
If you want to upgrade to a tubeless wheel set, I would recommend just swapping out the EA540 and going for a tubeless specific rim. Your hubs are pretty good already and I think going to a Sun Ringle hub would be a bit of a step backward in the hub department. The other issue here is that the spoke lengths might not be right for the replacement rim. If this is the case, go for DT Swiss Competition spoke as the replacement. The best balance of strength to weight in the spoke department at the moment. My recommendation would be to go to DT Swiss Comp spokes, brass nipples with a Stans Flow rim on your DT 350 hubs. They will be a lot better than the Sun Ringle set.

Cheers

furry forester

Likes Dirt
I have stans flow on hope hubs, and they are good dependable wheels. The dw sale price on thoe sun wheels is pretty special. The hubs are convertible (on the pro series) to any standard. The stans rims are made by sun, the sun wheelsets use the stans rim profile. Other than the perceived quality of the hubs I would have a hard time choosing anything other than the sun wheelsets at the moment. Having had ringle hubs in the past I have never had any more or less issues than any other hub, replace bearings when worn out, once had to replace a set of pawls in the freehub. No big deal and same/same for pretty much anything this side of hadley.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Go the Sun Ringles. The price is unbeatable at the moment, and they come tubeless ready.

cameron_15

Eats Squid
Thanks for the input guys, I've decided not to swap the wheels for now, it's simply too much hassle and the current wheels are excellent.