Wheelset

jays_5000

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Why not just upgrade your hubs?

It would be cheaper, or do you want to upgrade your rims at the same time, because in that case a new wheelset would be cheaper. :D

Rik

logged out
jays_5000 said:
It would be cheaper
Not always... say
$120 for both hubs (and that's a cheap set), $64 for spokes, and $70 (very cheap quote) for the wheelbuild, it's not that cheap, especially when shops can get prebuilt wheels using similar hubs for the same price that'd cost you to do the rebuild.

Grover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
good xc disc wheelset

if you're made of money either crossmax sl, crossmax sl or spinergy xyclone. if not then mavic make some cheaper ones as well which you can't go wrong. for a disc wheelset crossmax enduro are $1000, then there is also another one about $600 or $700 called crossland or crossride or something. the bonus with all the crossmax wheelsets is you get tubeless (i think it's a bonus anyway, some people don't). the problem with all but the cheapest mavic wheelset is they use their own style spokes so if there is a problem it takes a while to fix. having said that the are very reliable wheelsets. hope this helps.

LordNikon

Uber Geek
Tubeless wheelsets are also heavier than standard... So tubeless rims are not necessarily a good thing. Unless you're going to actually run UST tubeless of course.

I run Mavic X223 rims, Formula disk hubs and WTB spokes... works well for me. :D

Goose

Likes Bikes
I was thinking of getting this off Bryn what do ya think and how much is it worth?

REAR white industries over sized hub 500 new (disc compatible) to a SMO rim. Both of these are extremely strong. QR and will come with skewer.

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Depends what you want it for really? What comes down to is Weight VS Strength; are you a rim buster or pussy foot about :p Also to consider what type of riding you are doing. I wouldn't use the SMO build for anything like Enduro or XC racing, but It would probably make a fine trail/all mountain wheelset .

Also a note, you can get away with light weight rims if the spokes are strung extra tight, although when a wheel goes, it goes :p

Rik

logged out
SMO's weigh 920g a rim.
To put that in perspective, I had a front XC WHEEL that weighed 970g, and that was disc compatible too (could go lighter with a rimbrake-only wheel).
Don't touch the SMO... find something that's more practical.

jays_5000

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rik said:
Don't touch the SMO... find something that's more practical.
I have 2 of them, both with hookworms, yet my bike is still lighter than my mates stock One25.

They feel a tad heavy when you first get them, but it takes you about a week, if that, to get used to them.

I can still bunnyhop, bunnyhop - manual as high or maybe even a little bit higher than I could with out them.

They are a really tough rim, when I first got the hookworms and was messing around with different tire pressures, I rimmed out quite a few times, on the edge of metal lips (not coping) on a funbox at my skatepark and there is no evidence at all of a flat spot.

I don't want to get rid of them.

Rik

logged out
You're deluded, this is the XC forum!

I've owned a set (just sold them), great rims if you're abusive, but damn that weight. And you've got hookworms on them! holy crap, talk about lead-weighted gyroscope.
Although I shouldn't say much considering I own a set of doublewides right now, and have a kujo on one :oops:

jays_5000

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rik said:
great rims if you're abusive,
That's why I don't want to get rid of them... I've turned 2 axels into 5 in less than 24 hrs, yet the wheels are still in perfect shape.

bryn

Likes Dirt
Rik said:
How would you feel if someone sold you something that was inappropriate for your purposes?
yeh i know rik i was joking. i didn't know you wanted them for xc until now goose..

Goose

Likes Bikes
Well they are sold out anyway. So what would you guys recomend to a person that is not going to race or do great big jumps and thrash the bike around?