When is enuff...enuff off MTB.

e-man

Likes Dirt
Well last thursday I had my first bike crash that involved braking a bone in my hand, the first time in 8 years off racing BMX, Cross Country and Racing DH. Realisticly I'am not doing too shabby as I beliveve i'am a relatively controlled rider and well at the end off the day sports like this is inevitable. I've had a bit off a reality check tho with parents harping down my neck with me having a good career opportunity with my full-time job and they don't want me to stuff it up if I crash and it turns out worse, whats happens too my future. I'am curious too know if anyone else has ever had this though of how doing somthing that we all love doing and makes us enjoy life start tooeffect our jobs and familys? With all that said and done there is a feeling of Downhilling and just plain riding that not much else can privide and I will be doing it till I'am 6 feet down...will probly doing cross country riding by then tho, what are your opinions?

ando_assi

Likes Dirt
Go to a spinal ward in any hosiptal, most patients are from the roads, or from just slipping at home....

The riskiest thing you ever do is jump in a car, by a long way!!!

Ruys

Likes Dirt
Nah I reckon your parents are right. Just wrap yourself in cotton wool and never leave the house.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Agreed. A car is more dangerous than a loaded gun in the wrong hands.
I've had some pretty full on injuries in my time and I've since found a level of riding that I enjoy and won't push past as I know the consequences can be horrific and not worth the risk. Ultimately, you aren't riding for anything other than your own enjoyment so you don't have to prove anything to anyone. You can still wear all the awesome clothes and own the awesome bikes and not give a toss what other people think as you are the smart one by finding your limit and staying there.
In years to come your body will scream at you for going overboard and taking on a few injuries. You will discover one day that it isn't worth it unless you are getting a wage from it and making something of it. Just ride for fun, thats why you started after all!

e-man

Likes Dirt
Theres also a class off riders who still ride and race competatively and still maintain a full-time job and career, but very tru with whats been said, you can choose too race and never have a crash, walk out and get hit by a falling tree branch, its just the way the world is. And yes I have very over protective parents, they havent seen half the stuff ive done on in my riding career!!

screw loose

Likes Dirt
I'm right here with you, E-man. I broke my third bone a few days ago. Tagged my hand on a tree during a wet ride, and smashed my metacarpal into 4 bits, and will require surgery on friday. I'm due to start a new job on monday and will make a very handicapped first impression. That's a hard thing for me to stomach.
Apart from being on medication that'll turn me into a basket case for the first week, my writing hand will be in a sling, so i cant drive either which is part of my new job.

Being out with injury definitely comes at a higher price the more responsibilities you have. Not being able to work can put strain on a family that depends on your income. Simple things like not being able to help around the house - lift heavy things, wash the car etc also puts creates extra work for your loved ones.

I'm very torn at the moment.
In some ways I feel like it doesn't make sense to be taking part in such a risky activity for fun and putting myself in situations where I can get hurt, on purpose. Sure driving a car is more dangerous, but it's a necessary evil for those that need it to make a living.

A sweet day on the hill just makes me so fucken happy.

So far my solutions are as follows:
Like Dozer mentioned before: Chill out a bit on the bike, and be a little more cautious, don't push the limits so much.
The other is to move to a beach where I can just surf to get my fix. Ive tried it, and it's a very worthy substitute, and I think it's a fair bit safer, if you can swim and hold your breath.
Riding DH has become such an important part of my life. I wouldn't make the decision to give it up lightly and I'm not the kind of person who quits fun stuff.

It hurts to hurt my career though, and my family. The broken bones don't bug me so much.

I've got another 6 weeks to think about it.

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How old are you and what industry are we talking? Reason I ask is the perception of you having injuries will vary by where you work. I'm an IT guy, and these days come across HEAPS of mountain bikers in my professional life. For me showing up to work with an injusry doesn't hurt at all, if fact it gives my customers a good laugh. You might find it more of a drama physical jobs, trades etc it's a bigger deal. An injured IT guy is more productive than an injured bricklayer or sparky.

I reckon if you've gone 8 years with 1 broken bone you're obviously a fairly responsible/controlled rider. If your parents (and you) are really worried I reckon the best bet is to check out the sick leave entitlements in your job and if they aren't good enough get some income protection insurance. That will show you are responsible in the eyes of your folks and you get to ride without any hassles.

doosh

Likes Bikes
People who give it up due to injury woes play an important part in the sport - giving people like me a chance to pick up their second hand gear on the cheap!! What have you got for me, e-man?

Oh and bummer about the hand and everything.

BlakZ

Likes Dirt
OP, no right or wrong answer. Life is a balance and you will constantly strive to make everythign work in sync.

SuperSix

Likes Dirt
Your parents just want you to have a bright future. All loving parents are like that.

Besides, you do understand that the sport has a very high injury rate and your parent are just cautious on your involvement. Do ride in moderation.

My respects to Dane Searl. He pushed the limits.

fatnslow

Likes Bikes
time and space

I had a crash September 2010. broke my leg in 3 places and ruptured 2 ligaments in the knee. at the ripe old age of 40 had to convince the surgeon not to do a knee replacement (pervioius football surgeries on the same knee)

I got out of bikes, sold my DH rig, sold my 29er and keept a SS to ride with the kids. Since then I realised that getting off the bikes was a hasty decision and since have bought another two 29ers.

take some time and space and make the decision then and if you do continue change your riding style. (only pin it half the time)
FNS

e-man

Likes Dirt
At the moment I'am doing CNC machining and learning about CNC programming, so I still have a job at the end off the day and fortunatly have a group off work guys that understand my commitment too a fairly dangerous sport, at a fairly young age off 22 I'am living comfortably at home, a great job where I do enjoy going too work with future prospects off going overseas. Riding our bikes is dangerous but when I leave this earth I want too regret nothing and I'am still gonna make the most off my young age as much as I can. I've never competed much in DH racing as it just doesnt do it for me I get more enjoyment out off building trails and riding them with friends, that might be the reason I've lasted so long with no broken bones, riding for fun is safer than riding to put a time on the board, it's tempting tho when local guys I ride with say I should be qualifing in elite mens but well I'll see what this year holds.

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nah I reckon your parents are right. Just wrap yourself in cotton wool and never leave the house.
At least then his English might improve.

Seriously though, if your parents are worried about you getting injured riding your mountain bike. Buy a roadie and go cycling with traffic every day.

oldstinky75

Likes Dirt
Definitely look into the income protection side of things. It'll give you a bit of reassurance knowing if you do buckle yourself badly and can't work at least you'll have some money coming in for the bills. Do some research first and ask them all the right questions to find the right one.

Delbs

Likes Dirt
Yeah i agree with Cam-o, Im in IT also and there are heaps of bikers at my work, some get injured incl myself but yeah due to their full time status they usually have the sick leave to cover it or personal leave if need be. I can still work even if i had a broken leg as im sitting down anyway but yeah i can see how it could effect someone in a trade.

I love riding and ride all sorts of disciplines but i keep it within limits because i have a wife and little one to take care of. I know im not going to be the quickest rider out there but for me riding is all about having fun on the trails with mates and beating personal best oh and also the fitness lol. My parents were the same with me and moto's but i noticed they backed off about getting hurt when i started DH (funny that) So yeah any parent that cares will worry about your career prospects when your younger but my dad was at ease with me owning a trail bike when i got private health and income protection :)

Just all about finding the right balance in what your doing dude...hope ya find it :)