When is steep to steep?

sim_doggy

Likes Dirt
Righto so me and my buddies are finally building our own set of Dj's on a mates property (J-Extreme), we have made both the kicker(chest height) and lander (with 9ft gap) but what i'm wondering is when is steep to steep for our lips, As ours by what i've seen are some of the steepest round. So is going to be like hitting a brick walll or am I going to land in the middle of the gap.
Soo if you have good advice on lip science or pictures of your perfect lips it would be heaps apreacited as the holidays are coming up and I'd like to be jumping 9-5 without worrys.

p.s sorry theres no pics, I'm working on it:rolleyes:

DANCLOSH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i hope when you say "chest hight" you dont mean as in the one like your avatar :eek: eww lol

obviously if you have vert/near vert lips, you dont want the upramp to be too steep, or yes, it will be like hitting a wall

but you really need pics to be able to tell

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It also depends on how fast you are hitting it too, because the faster you go and the steeper the angle of the jump the harder you will hit and then there goes all your speed, so you have to take all that into account too.

Can't wait to see some pics. :D

Rickystp0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you are really not confiendent about it maybe just make it mellow to start with and as you want more just shave back more and more layers until it is at its optimun....

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
The steeper the takeoff the more horizontal speed you lose + the steeper the landing has to be because the rear wheel is the last bit to leave the takeoff + gets kicked up in the air throwing you forward.
The sensible thing to do is to have an adjustable wooden ramp so you can change the steepness + distance to a dirt landing.
Start easy + crank it up.

kyleman

Likes Dirt
Well if the gap is from like the lip to lip and its 9ft then your gonna need it a bit less vert. Hit it with a lot of speed to see what its like and what you can improve. If you flat land you know you need to go slower.. ect.
You live in montrose dont you also?

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
the optimum height for ANY dirt jump EVER built is 79.349652 degrees off the horizontal. change from this at all and your jump WILL fail.

i dunno.. how long is a piece of string? vary it depending on your jump height, gap, runin (how much speed you can get) no use asking for a definitive answer. just build and rebuild till the jump is fun and keep it lower or the same height as your landing.. and make the landing steep. keep the tranny gentle

sheepy

Likes Dirt
just make sure that the jump is smooth, i.e its constant in its angle, so don't have a really mellow jump with a vert lip at the end, have it gradually getting steeper and then it doesnt matter how vert it is

you may want to make the up ramp higher, i've had a jump near my place that was completely vert, but to get it smooth it had to be around 2m high

dj_nic

Likes Bikes
when you role up to the lip make sure your whole bike on the lip at 1 time..
i also live in montrose and have a bit of a jump in my backy ill send you some pics when i get them you may have seen me around im on the Kona Howler
catch Nick

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If your ramps are going to be chest height you won't be able to get them very vert. Are you going for tricks or just for the kick of doing jumps. If your going for tricks as steep as possible is best. But your jump is going to be way longer to feel flowy. I just built I 6ft kicker with my freind and I think it's at a good angle, I'll get some photos tomorrow.

Big_Chief

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In my opinion as you create a longer gap it will be a better idea to have more mellow up and down ramps. other wise you will need heaps more speed to get the distance.

it really depends how much air time you want.

jjperko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's all relative to the distance needed to make and therefore the speed. If its chest height then it might be an idea to dig a pit before it so it doesn't feel like your running into a brick wall.

Your lip doesnt need to be perfect, for example you can make the gap in different ways. Trying to transfer all the energy to horizontal distance when jumping as opposed to boosting as high as possible can help you to juggle distance.

sim_doggy

Likes Dirt
i also live in montrose and have a bit of a jump in my backy ill send you some pics when i get them you may have seen me around im on the Kona Howler
catch Nick
Yer i've seen you down at brad whites little track, I'm the one who was riding a norco bigfoot

Jack122

Banned
Can't say i'd ever jump somthing that big:eek: but your right i wouldn't want to jump and land in the gap, so i would make the lip less sharp once you test it depending on the test run.

Jack122

skeet

Squid
Yer i've seen you down at brad whites little track, I'm the one who was riding a norco bigfoot
You seen the Jump on brads track? the bigger one? not right down the bottom but in the pit, Make it a bit more vert then that, what im planning on doing to it, but brad will probs crack it, haha, but you have a short gap for a vert jump and just hit it with speed. Vert UR Slightly vert DR, you might want a shorter gap then 9ft if you want it steep

Ohh and BTW im the kid on the Freeagent lil homie 16"

Not that i make much sense haha

dj_nic

Likes Bikes
yeh cool well if you ever need a hand building some tracks just pm me or whatever. i havent got much happening at the moment only my backy ill send pics soon: