When to buy

Exie

Likes Dirt
Hi Folks,

So I've been dreaming of a new custom bike. Think Baum-like.

Is there any value waiting till EOFY ? or Christmas to get a deal ?

If the AUD goes up/down is that likely to afford me a better price ?

Obviously, your going to pay a premium for custom bike any which way, but I'd like to minimise the burn on the pocket where I can.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Cant really answer your question as I dont know how Baum operates, I would imagine if they were to have got a very cheap batch of tubing, they would have more profit margin. Whether they pass that onto a customer they are talking to, I dont know.

Best thing is to have a chat to them and see what they can do for you. Usually when you make the decision to go custom, its not a cheap decision.

mossmanguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I recently built a 2016 SantaCruz V10cc with my dream parts list and there is definitely a lot of money to be saved if you pick your timing.
First of all you need to allow yourself plenty of time, it took me 6 months and there were plenty of times I wanted to just finish the build and put it all on my credit card.
Next buy the frame first, you can change your mind with the spec but once you have some components you can't always change your mind with the frame. The best time to buy this is when they release the next years model. There isn't a company that won't discount they're current model stock to make way for the new frames. Most of the time all that changes is the colour options. I saved $1800 on a 2016 V10 which happened to be exactly the same geometry and sizing as the 2017.
After that is doesn't really matter what order you buy, I knew what parts I wanted and just waited for them to go on sale. CRC and MTB direct always have sales on popular products. It pays to have several options for each component for e.g. I was happy to have a race face sixC or rental cockpit although I went with race face because it came on sale first.
I also bought Fox 40's for a steal at the same time I bought the frame, they were the last pair of 2016 model 26" Fox 40's on Cyclinic put 2017 27.5" lowers on them to make them the same as the current model and I saved about $800. Im not sure this would be a common option.
Also look second hand there is so much brand new condition components that you can save big bucks on.
To save money on labor buy things that you can't fit yourself all together and get them to fit it in store. I bought my headset and bottom bracket with my frame.

It is an expense way to get a set of wheels regardless so rather than save every cent sometimes its just worthwhile buying the part you really want and starving yourself for a week/ month.

Enjoy

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
If you're talking bespoke made to measure, Baum and the likes bread and butter, highly unlikely you'll find them doing eofy type specials. Dollar fluctuations yield delayed and minute differences to the pricing, and are difficult to time correctly. Hand made bikes are labour intensive, and that's what you're paying for, a quality builder isnt going to discount his craftsmanship because the Aussie dollar is. 018 of a cent higher.

You need to remember, these things take months, years or even decades (in the case of speedvagen) from order to delivery. The only real way to get a cheaper price is to skimp on the options, go for tig rather than fillet brazed, get a basic flat paint scheme, cheaper tubing, basic geo, etc. And let's face it, what's the point of that? These things are a lifetime investment, custom fit and geo makes them all but unresealable. I liken them to a tattoo, you get it because you want it, for life, damn the expense and frivolity.

Sent from my HTC_M9u using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Cant really answer your question as I dont know how Baum operates, I would imagine if they were to have got a very cheap batch of tubing, they would have more profit margin. Whether they pass that onto a customer they are talking to, I dont know.

Best thing is to have a chat to them and see what they can do for you. Usually when you make the decision to go custom, its not a cheap decision.
Baum operates on a one off, made to measure type dealio. They claim to never have or will ever build two identical bikes in their made to measure builds. They even recommend you fly into Avalon Airport, where they will pick you up, drive you to their skunk works, take your measurements on their fit rig, feed you, drive you back to the airport. Don't think they'll be doing run out specials of boxing day sales, anytime soon. I think they might have started building some standard of the rack designs, so that'd be about the only way to save some crumbs, but in the end, you're still paying for the exceptional craft in their building, and man hours don't come cheap.

If you're going off the rack, might as well by a giant or spesh.

Sent from my HTC_M9u using Tapatalk

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
The best time to buy this is when they release the next years model. There isn't a company that won't discount they're current model stock to make way for the new frames. Most of the time all that changes is the colour options. I saved $1800 on a 2016 V10 which happened to be exactly the same geometry and sizing as the 2017.
All this is utterly irrelevant for the OP. Custom frames are exactly that, specifically built for the customer from scratch; no model years or other marketing bullshit that follows contrived annual cycles.

If you're ready to commit to a custom frame, the time to begin the process is NOW, because it's not a quick job. Baum typically have a waiting list of several months, so you want to get in their system as soon as you can.