When to replace a DH helmet.

timrob

Likes Dirt
Hello All,

I have recently had a bingle on my DH bike, speared into an embankment and broke my collar bone.
Confident my head smacked the ground, but upon inspection (1 month later) of my DH helmet it appears unscathed from the accident.

I understand most will advise a new lid, but im interested to know peoples opinions in this area. DH helmets are engineered to take some abuse, but i only have one head and i dont really want to break it.

Insights/Experience greatly appreciated.

gliss

Likes Dirt
I had a massive crash that sent me into concussion and short term memory loss.
apart from scratches on the outside, the polycarbonate plastic looked okay, but it was on the foam construction inside that the helmet was cracked.

Helmet for me is a worthwhile investment.

T-Rex

Template denier
The following is based on extensive (and expensive) experience. My son rides a lot of DH, and goes through full face helmets at about the same rate as rear tyres. eg three so far this year.

The first thing you need to do is pull the liner out of the helmet and carefully inspect the EPS (the hard foam liner). This absorbs impact by compressing and fracturing. If you see any cracking of the EPS, or any spots where it is compressed, the helmet is stuffed and it's time for a new one. If you went over the bars and face/shoulder into the ground when you broke your collar bone, pay particular attention to the EPS that rests above your eyebrows, when the helmet is on.

Then looking at the outside, don't be too worried about scratches, even down to the fibre (glass or carbon), but if the fibre is cracked, bin it.

As for your statement that DH helmets are "designed for abuse", I guess that's right but most are designed for only one big hit. The exception is the POC, but it has a unique design, with two outer layers.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
If something makes you jump on your computer and ask if its time to replace a helmet then its probably time to replace a helmet.