Where can I get a new steerer tube fitted to my fork?

Winno

Likes Dirt
I'm on the hunt for a new frame and I want to move my current fork over to the new frame when that happens.

Trouble is, the new frame needs a longer steerer tube than my current bike and my current set up is cut and slammed.

This means I need a longer steerer pressed into my fork crown.

Can anyone recommend a place to press the old one out and a new and longer one in?

I'm in Brisbane.

Cheers.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Gripsport can do straight steerers but it would more cost effective to follow Steve's advice.

Winno

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys.
My fork is 3 races old and I reckon it'd be cheaper and less hassle to re-steerer it. No?
I'll call Gripsport tomoz.
A new fork the same will set me back at least AU$600.
Selling the current fork will be painful as it's a 26er.

Chuckles Norris

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys.
My fork is 3 races old and I reckon it'd be cheaper and less hassle to re-steerer it. No?
I'll call Gripsport tomoz.
A new fork the same will set me back at least AU$600.
Selling the current fork will be painful as it's a 26er.
please keep this thread updated! I can only run a straight steerer which rules out many of the wider staunchion forks, but maybe I can get them re-steered?

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
Hey Winno,

To just have the steerer extended should not be an issue for Gripsport to fix up for you. I initially thought you were looking to replace the compete steerer due to cracking or otherwise, in which case then I would have just said bin it and go new.

Ring them and chat to John (if I recall correctly) he'll work it out for you.

Good luck.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I always cringe when people chop off their steerers at the most slammed position for their current frame ... Really limits potential resale options for the sake of 10mm of 'ugliness' in spacers.

I think gripsport may be your best option but what is the stack height on your current stem compared to other options like the syntace flatforce which has a 27mm stack height and 22mm minimum steerer insertion ? (Syntace referrence, Insert Ackland supporter name here)

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I always cringe when people chop off their steerers at the most slammed position for their current frame ... Really limits potential resale options for the sake of 10mm of 'ugliness' in spacers.
Same, I have about $80 worth of spacers on the Rune, as I was so paranoid about cutting the steerer on the pike.........I just run the riser bars inverted :second:

Winno

Likes Dirt
Grip sport did mine and it is great. No squeaks an 260mm long!!
Yes, How much please Linga?

My RF Turbine stem is staying (40mm stack) because they're better than any other stem except for the Next carbon ones.

; )

Last edited:

Winno

Likes Dirt
Just spoke to John @ Gripsport.
Very helpful guy.
A fairly standard XC/trail fork with straight 1 1/8" steerer is about $185 to have the old steerer pressed out and a new Marzocchi one pressed in.
It's still cheaper to get this done rather than sell and buy another, even with courier fees on top of this.

John U

MTB Precision
New and complete fork uppers, crown, steerer, and staunchions, are fairly widely available on ebay. You'd need to price a rebuild in too.

This option is a bit more pricey but can allow peeps to mix and match whatever options are available as long as the staunchions fit the lowers correctly. Same goes for getting new lowers for a fork upper that you'd like to keep using.

Might not apply to you now Winno, but another option.

I'm not trying to take any work off Grip though. I can highly recommend his services.

Winno

Likes Dirt
Cobba, you're a legend mate.
Thanks for that link.

I'm waiting on NSDynamics to get back to me before I go further.

The other option is to simply sell the Whippet frame and Durin fork together as a combo as they are perfect together.

This will help me fund a newer Magura TS8 fork (same fork really but with different stickers) with proper tapered steerer to suit the new frame.

Will know best way to go once NSD get back to me.