Where do all the old bikes go?

Topperharley

Likes Dirt
Remember your first proper xc/am/dh bike? The one you sold at a huge loss to a mate or some guy and maybe saw again a year or two later, but ultimately you have no idea where it went? Well, it strikes me, as each year more and more companies churn out more and more bikes, where do they all end up?

It makes me a bit sad to think of all the U'hu's, Stumpjumpers, ATX's, Shivvers, Z1's, Judy's and Indy's all gone.

They can't all be bought by those restorer chaps can they?

moorey

call me Mia
Remember your first proper xc/am/dh bike? The one you sold at a huge loss to a mate or some guy and maybe saw again a year or two later, but ultimately you have no idea where it went? Well, it strikes me, as each year more and more companies churn out more and more bikes, where do they all end up?

It makes me a bit sad to think of all the U'hu's, Stumpjumpers, ATX's, Shivvers, Z1's, Judy's and Indy's all gone.

I did one of these threads about 12 months ago (i'm sure i wasn't the first)...i'll try to dig it up....:third:

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?234538-What-happens-to-old-DH-FR-bikes

morticus

Likes Dirt
Im a bit sad i sold my old 2005 bighit to a mate for $500. he told me a few weeks ago he still hadn't ridden it, so i was going to say i would buy it back off him. He put it on ebay and got $600 for it by a guy that straps motors to them. At least some seedy guy that lost his license is riding around on it... might see it somewhere in the future!

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
They do stack better in the freezer.
There's also the 2 massive vats of acid disguised as above ground swimming pools....... More economical to just keep the heads :)

I've always thought the same thing about cars......

But I always see dodgy guys with big dodgy trucks cruising round when there's council pick up with about 1000 bikes in the back.... Maybe they go away and come back as Mokia, Soni, Palnasonic .......

heavyp

You heard it here first
Crazy people like me buy them, or all the guys over on retrobike. A lot of older bikes broke to so people keep them as trophies, and it pains me to think how many good bikes are out there in parents sheds just collecting since the kids left home.

img_0186a.jpgIMG_5429.jpgIMG_7486.jpg

Last edited: