Where does your user name come from?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Do you feel like loosening up a little mystery?

To get the ball rolling; in the early 2000s I was on the mid north coast of NSW over the summer working at a recreation and ecology centre. I occasionally had access to a "walkie talkie" type device that allowed me to communicate with the rest of the staff and also reach out into the unknown and speak with strangers. The first call sign that came to my mind was pink poodle, I was a North American truck driver cruising up and down the Pacific Highway. A very small number of my co-workers knew what was going on and would gather round the wireless with me to be entertained for a few minutes each time the chance came up. I managed to fool the manager of the place, who couldn't work out how I had gained access to their private channel. Through our conversations I let on to him that the pink poodle knew me and would it be ok if I drop in to see me for a bit and meet him etc. The look on his face when he came out of the office to meet this mysterious truck driver and found out it was me was very rewarding.

Many years later when I signed up here I remembered the name and the account was created.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Mine came about when Mrs George and I moved from Adelaide to Mildura in 2010. I instantly lost all access to decent bike shops and the knowledge that's stored within them, so I turned to the interwebs. The name itself is a combination of the satellite town we first moved near, and my unofficial name.

Apologies to anyone expecting a confession involving religion ;)

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
For about 5 or 6 years from about 2002-2008 I used to collect and restore old school BMX's, I was firstly a member of a few American BMX forums where the name was originally created, then later the Australian Old School BMX forum.

When I got back into MTB, the user name just continued.

Last edited:

rstim

Likes Dirt
Mine is carried over from the first forum I joined for Subaru Rs Liberty's many moons ago now.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I fall over if I look at wet timber.

Canary was riding behind me once, I happened on some wet timber and promptly fell on my ass. She snickered and called me Plankosaurus (me + plank = sore ass) and I thought that was a perfect way to own the fact that I can't negotiate anything with even a hint of moisture in it.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I chose Freediver because I'm one of those blokes that dives into bins for free smokes.
Good to see someone takes the war on waste seriously.

Canary was riding behind me once, I happened on some wet timber and promptly fell on my ass. She snickered and called me Plankosaurus (me + plank = sore ass) and I thought that was a perfect way to own the fact that I can't negotiate anything with even a hint of moisture in it.

Delicately avoids hilarious joke opportunity. Didn't you have a different user name for a while? Or was it a different avatar?

Reactions: D2R

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
I have used foxpuppet as an online name for various accounts on forums, gaming, socials etc since around 2002.

Was walking thorough a department store with my wife (then fiancée) and picked up some kind of fake mink/fox looking wrap off a shelf and started using it like a puppet over the aisle divider and chatting to people who walked past. The Fox puppet story became a bit of a yarn to spin amongst our friends and then the name stuck. I think I first used it online as a replacement nickname when I joined Xbox live. Prior to that it was Banjobiwan but didn’t want to have my actual name in my online profile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia

I miss 99coconuts

cammas

Seamstress
My mine is my nickname derived from people shortening my last name, I’ve always been called Cammas or Camo.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Delicately avoids hilarious joke opportunity. Didn't you have a different user name for a while? Or was it a different avatar?
99coconuts way back. A carry over from a motorbike forum, more or less because I used to sing the old Monty python coconuts song when I found myself inebriated. I thought Plankosaurus suited me better, despite the song being an absolute hit every time I inflicted it on everyone in earshot.

...it is hard to talk about moisture and timber with a straight face