where EXACTLY to lube chain (leaving off debate on chain cleaning for now)

Daisy

Likes Dirt
I’ve tried to find EXACTLY where to apply lube to the chain but many online pictures/videos don’t show this.
It appears to be a common mistake to apply lube to the outside of the roller. Also, to apply lube whilst chain is on the sprocket.

Below is from Sheldon Brown website & I believe this to be true & accurate: http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

“There are three points where a chain needs lubrication. First, and most importantly, the link pins need to be lubricated where they move inside the inner links as the chain bends and straightens. Second, the insides of the rollers need lubrication to let them revolve freely around the bushings as they engage and disengage the sprocket teeth. If the rollers don't roll, they slide along the sprocket teeth, causing accelerated sprocket wear. Third, the surface where the outer side plates overlap the inner side plates can benefit from lubrication as well, although this contact surface is much more lightly loaded than the first two.”
“Many cyclists oil their chains by spraying, usually aiming the spray can at the rear of the derailer cage, because this reduces the risk of overspray getting on their rims or tires. In my opinion, spray lubricants should not be used on bicycle chains, because they get too much oil where you don't need it and/or too little where you do.
Most of the dirt & grit that contaminates a chain is stuff that is thrown up by the front tire. This lands on the outer circumference of the chain. For this reason, you should always oil a chain on the inner circumference, the side that faces the sprockets. This decreases the tendency of the oil to carry crud into the interior bearing surfaces of the chain. The best way to apply the oil is with a drip-type oil can, along the top of the lower run of the chain. This applies the oil to the cleanest part of the chain.”

From what I understand lube should be applied to the area as per below chain close up (red circles) on both left & right sides, as this will get to the 3x areas of chain mentioned by Sheldon.

Do you agree ?

Attachments

redbruce

Eats Squid
A bit over egged, but correct.

Apply liberally (doesn't need to be both sides of chain, lube will migrate where it needs to).

Wipe off excess with a rag.

Last edited:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Gee whiz - that's a complicated breakdown of what common sense tells you!

I've always lubed along the top of the bottom run of the chain for the simple reason, it's on the inside of the chain that runs on the rings and cassette ( ie surely it doesn't need explaining that the inside of the chain makes most sense), and it's by far the easiest and most accessible place for the inside of the chain with an upright bike on the ground.

scblack

Leucocholic
A bit over egged, but correct.

Apply liberally (doesn't need to be both sides of chain, lube will migrate where it needs to).

Wipe off excess with a rag.
Yep, agreed with this.

Apply heaps, let it soak in, then wipe off excess with a rag.

Dougy

Likes Dirt
Basically apply to the top of the lower portion of the chain, where pictured, spin the chain and let centrifugal force do the work for you. you don't need lube on the chain but in it. Excess, rag, ride. The biggest debate here though is the type of lube. For Aus conditions, generally dry and dusty, I use dry type liquid lube not wax as wax doesn't get into the chain where you need it. Here in Japan in winter I use wet liquid lube as I tend to ride in mushy wet conditions.

I soak my chain in canola oil, I'm too cheap to spring for extra virgin

Dumb Questions Thread: how can anything be "extra" virgin ? Is that what the really good Jihadys get ?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Is there any possible way to incorrectly apply lube to your chain? Put the oily stuff on the movey bit.

stirk

Burner
I use a thick ceramic lube applying at front rotor.

You would never use an aerosol anywhere near rear disc rotor.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
I like to lube it in the lounge room by an open fire place, I'm romantic like that.

But I digress, second pic is good. First pic not so much> you arn't trying to lube the side plates but the rollers in the middle, As other have said you can't over lube a chain put it on and wipe off excess. I find best way tip bottle up with nib just touching the rollers then spin the chain backward.

I do have tightwad friends that will place 1 drop on each roller one at a time. I find the money you save doing this is outweighed by the time it takes but each to their own.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
you arn't trying to lube the side plates but the rollers in the middle, As other have said you can't over lube a chain put it on and wipe off excess. I find best way tip bottle up with nib just touching the rollers then spin the chain backward.
This method apart from wiping off excess, I just let it soak into the chain - I'm into the habit of cleaning my bike post ride so it's ready to go next time!

I have no real issues with picking up dirt into my chain so I'm sticking with that method!