Where is the cheapest downhill helmet?

Nath05

Cannon Fodder
I was just wondering if anyone knows where I could get a full face helmet for under or around $100. I'm just trying to get into a bit of downhill but I think I need a full face for it.
I would be a medium ish 57cm. I've been looking overseas but shipping and not having the ability to try on the helmet and shipping costs have turned me off that idea.
Thanks, Nathan

Nath05

Cannon Fodder
yeh I have seen then around $100 before at TBSM but they are back at $140. The cheapest I have seen in medium is R-Jays Missile II Full face Helmet at $120 from TBSM. So many shops only focus on road and xc gear.

digby69

Likes Bikes
Go to your local bike shop and try as many helmets as you can, size varies dramatically not only between brands but models aswell. Don't just by the cheapest as a $200 helmet that is perfect is better than 2 x $100 helmets that aren't!

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
661 and R-jay helmets are the ones to get if you're only spending that much. If you can afford it spend the $140 for the 661s they have on TBSM, I got the 2010 661 comp 2 fullface for that much off of there. It's light, comfortable and saved my head before, not much more you could ask from it :)

boofy

Likes Bikes
+1 for the 661 comp 11. i got mine from 99 bikes for $110. feels lighter to wear than my normal bike helmet. cant complain about that.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I got the 2010 661 comp 2 fullface for that much off of there. It's light, comfortable and saved my head before, not much more you could ask from it :)
I got this helmet from Wiggle for $100 and free freight. I measured my head and went for the small. Sizing was bang on.

Had a huge OTB and headplanted on weekend. Walked away with just a messed up helmet. Best $100 I ever spent.

trakeko

Squid
DH helmets!

Hey,

We have the r-jays missile 2 helmet for $75 at Avantiplus, Brunswick.
Sizes:
Adult Large and Medium
Colour:
Urban Camo

Konrad.

Cano29

Likes Dirt
I bought a 661 helmet from eBay in England for 100 and it got here in a week. It is only an entry level helmet but it is light and that is was I was looking for, In Australian bike shops they wanted upwards of 170 dollars, so I just tried the helmet on in the shop and ordered the size I wanted. Here's the link if your interested,
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190521048235
That's the large size, pretty decent helmet for the money, If you have any questions just ask, more than willing to help.
Jayden

Nath05

Cannon Fodder
Thanks everyone for your help. The one in Brunswick sounds like a good price but simply to far because im in Sydney. I think I might just toughen up and get the 661 for a bit extra.

Last edited:

JORG

Squid
+1 for T7. Although I generally support my LBS, T7 often have some cracking deals for clothing and general protection. Got my carbon 661 from there...

s.dogg

Likes Dirt
Goldcross have a pretty good deal on the 661 comp II at the moment.
$99 bucks if you sign up for their membership in the store when you buy it.

At least that way you get to try it on first.

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
Depends on how much you think your head is worth!!
All helmets in Australia have to comply with a minimum standard, and after that there is no tangible measure of how much better a more expensive helmet will save your head. I've found most of what you pay for is a better fit and better ventilation, along with better looks. For some people this is worth the price, for some it isn't. You should be replacing your helmet after major impacts, which makes the cheaper helmets look like a pretty good option.

Also, spending 400-600 on a helmet does not disqualify you from getting a lemon.

boofy

Likes Bikes
i got my 661 comp 2 2011 helmet from 99 bikes for $110 about a month ago. feels lighter than my cheap regular helmet.

Beej1

661 Comp II 2010 for $80 off CRC last year. I'm sure it's not as good as a TLD D3 or some of those sexy looking Urge ones on Fab Barel's scone, but it's comfy as, fits well, looks great and cost bugger all. Tick's all round.

Having said that - try one on first if you can find it.