where to buy energy gels etc. online

Does anybody know a good online store for buying energy gels and bars etc. I've found a few supplement stores online but wondering if there's any that are better value or have a better range.

On the same topic, are any brands better than others or is it more a matter of personal taste.

thanks, joel

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
Some of the ususal online shops stock them in 24-pack cases.

They're a little cheaper, maybe working out to ~$2 a gel, as opposed to ~$3/$3.50 a gel at the LBS.

That said, I wouldn't buy a case. I rode in the MONT 24-hr as a last minute entry/ghost rider. I went to woolies the night before to get gels. Woolies only stock one flavour.

19 hours later, the taste of coconut-honey made me want to puke.

I am sure if you go to your LBS and buy a case, or the equivalent quantity thereof of gels, they'll knock a little off of the price. People who buy gels in that quantity tend to ride a lot, and therefore tend to spend a bit on bikes.

Hammer nutrition has an online store, based locally, do great products and support a fair few local events. They're about $2.50/gel.

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
In terms of brands, I think a lot of it is personal preference. Things like consistency, taste, ease of opening the packet are all factors. For instance I like GU gels because I prefer thicker gels and tend to accidentally inhale the runnier ones when trying to ride and swallow at the same time. Other people, like my other half, find the thicker consistency very hard to get down when riding - it's all personal.

As for websites - google is your friend but here's a few. But be aware some flavours can't be shipped into Aus from overseas due to restrictions on some fruits.

www.probikekit.com
Wiggle.co.uk
Chainreaction
http://www.completehealth.com.au/

Our local bike shop does a good price on Endura and a loyalty program where you get something free every so-many purchases. This works out quite competitive. So don't rule out the old fashioned shopping experience.

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Another good option is the 'discount pharmacies' that seem to be cropping up everywhere. Check out the Supplements section - the one near me has Endura for $2.50 ish a gel, with multiple flavours to choose from.

Also the bulk purchase from LBS is always a good option too.

bluesmurf

Likes Bikes
I used to buy my endura gels and bars from the local health food store. They were cheaper than my LBS. Lucky for me now my wife has set up a business and can get shotz gels wholesale.:D

slowK

Likes Dirt
Torpedo7 are having a sale on Clif Shots at the moment. I've ordered a box but haven't received them yet. No idea how nice they are, but cheap.

http://www.winnersbars.com/ sells online, and quite reasonably priced too. I quite like the Cadel Evans gels (both berry and lemon/lime are good) and bars - the gels are nicer than GUs IMHO.

abevern

Likes Dirt
Shots vs Jugs

Frankly I'm mystified why most people don't switch to jugs from individual serves. I find they're easier to open on the trail, no litter to cart around (or drop on the trail as some pigs do), and work out at around $1 a shot which is killer-cheap. 5-6 shots in a jug, easily fits in a pocket or top tube or other creative mount.

I've only used the hammer gel jugs, but there's a decent range of flavours available (assuming you're ok with the hammer product), and if you stump for 3 jugs, you get a 4th free, which is a nice touch.

There are probably other brands with jugs available - I think it's the way forward.

BMCFatboy

Likes Bikes
I've been buying Torq bars online through FTPTraining.com which is site of The Fenz. They are well priced and I find them good for enduros as they are like eating a slice of fruit cake and are nice & moist so easy to digest after a few hours in the saddle when it gets hard to digest solids. I also like Endura bars but as they have a chocolate coating then they are no good to carry on a warm day.

Like someone else said Gu are a great gel as they are thick so you don't lose it all over your fingers while riding. Verofit have them on their website at competetive prices.

Gu, Verofit, Endura & others are always sponsoring our local enduro events so purchasing locally ensures they see benefit from their involvement in our sport so even if overseas sites are cheaper I think it's always best to support those who support us.

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Frankly I'm mystified why most people don't switch to jugs from individual serves. I find they're easier to open on the trail, no litter to cart around (or drop on the trail as some pigs do), and work out at around $1 a shot which is killer-cheap. 5-6 shots in a jug, easily fits in a pocket or top tube or other creative mount.

I've only used the hammer gel jugs, but there's a decent range of flavours available (assuming you're ok with the hammer product), and if you stump for 3 jugs, you get a 4th free, which is a nice touch.

There are probably other brands with jugs available - I think it's the way forward.
I have no idea what you are talking about, could you share more info please?

jimnobob

Likes Bikes
Hammer Nutrition

+1 for hammer nutrition. I thought it was crazy buying 4 jugs at a time but works out well worth it if you are regularly riding/training. At $1 per serve it's a no brainer.

I find I don't get quite the same energy kick as using GU's but I certainly don't find myself running out of steam - most probably a more even release of energy. I've now used these for up to 9 hours in the saddle and find them very good.

And yes, the variety of flavours is good. Raspberry is my current fav.

Knopey

Likes Dirt
verofit.com.au have Gu pretty cheap.
True that, and you can mix and match your flavours as much as you like so the variety is as big as you want.

Though when I run out (about 2015...) I will give these jugs a go.

iscarrr

Likes Dirt
+1 for hammer nutrition. I thought it was crazy buying 4 jugs at a time but works out well worth it if you are regularly riding/training. At $1 per serve it's a no brainer.

I find I don't get quite the same energy kick as using GU's but I certainly don't find myself running out of steam - most probably a more even release of energy. I've now used these for up to 9 hours in the saddle and find them very good.

And yes, the variety of flavours is good. Raspberry is my current fav.
Best thing about Hammer (in my opinion) is the taste, really nice, lots of flavours. Buying a box of 12 gels from them works out to be $2.10 each from memory, not too bad.