Where to buy mineral oil (bleeding saints)

castlo

Likes Dirt
Hey guys and girls I have been calling everywhere local (moto shops, bunnings[my actual work] pirtek and everywhere between and no one has mineral oil brake fluid. Aside from one guy that has it in 20 litre bottles haha. So once and for all where do we buy this stuff?

Cheers castlo

rone

Eats Squid
^ what he said. Shimano recommend their own specification mineral oil, although I have heard that canola oils is a passable substitute. You're welcome to try the latter, although I'll stick with the pink stuff.

castlo

Likes Dirt
Yeah tried my lbs , the edge will order some in for me if I couldn't find any anywhere else, but my other lbs said bring a sealable jar in and he will give me some for 5 bucks, and I wasn't sure about whether I would be getting new stuff or used stuff that he wanted to get rid of so I think I will get it ordered in, cheers guys

Minlak

custom titis
Yeah tried my lbs , the edge will order some in for me if I couldn't find any anywhere else, but my other lbs said bring a sealable jar in and he will give me some for 5 bucks, and I wasn't sure about whether I would be getting new stuff or used stuff that he wanted to get rid of so I think I will get it ordered in, cheers guys
He will give you new stuff just he buys it in a 20 litre container to make it cheaper.... Id be very surprised if he would give you old stuff it will be in a recycle bin with every other oil he ever needs to dispose of.

chrischris

Likes Dirt
I have

I keep some old glass coffee jars in the garage. I've spent $5 at the LBS for some Shimano mineral oil. Not recycled stuff! Quite nice of the LBS really. :)

jrewing

Eats Squid
european car mechanics. Pentosin it's called, you want the non-synthetic hydraulic oil version.

S.

ex offender
I bleed my XT's using motorbike fork oil.
It's mineral and a litre cost f all.
I wouldn't recommend doing that. It might work initially but fork oil isn't designed for operation at 300+ degrees - you probably won't see boiling but you will see relatively fast breakdown of the oil. Not all mineral oils are equivalent, just the same as how not all synthetic oils are the same. Mineral oil just means it's not fully synthesised, it doesn't mean anything in terms of actual performance characteristics.

castlo

Likes Dirt
ok so maybe the lbs that offered me that for 5 bucks was true burt i have had bad dealing with them in the past so i got my other one just to order in the kit which means it might make it easier for a first time user to do it :) thanks for all your replies

karl

Likes Dirt
try a moto shop, motorex sell a mineral oil that is compatable with shinamo brakes, a lot cheaper per litre than shimano

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey

I was in the same boat. Went to LBS to ask for the "jar" and they tried to sell me the piddly little tube (50ml) for $30 something. No way! If you're worried about your LBS try other stores, or do what I did and get the 1 litre bottle for 25 off CRC. You'll never need to order it again.

Cheers,

Graeme