Where to live in Sydney?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I live approx 50m from the freight, coal, and passenger train line. I think I noticed it for about 3 hours when I first moved in. Of the rare visitor I have, I can't think of any complaints.

I had a girlfriend once upon a time. She lived in a whole bunch of suburbs around annandale and glebe. I barely noticed the aircraft noise. The plane shadows are hard to miss though.

To nature nearby, the harbour is a pretty big area. Are you saying water isn't nature? You can enjoy long romantic sunset rides along the harbour towards the bridge. Time it with low tide and you might get some plant life.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Our back fence was essentially the railway fence, with one row of trees before the razor-wire. The freight trains were so loud you had to stop talking and wait for them to pass before you could continue a conversation. You definitely got used to it quickly, but it wasn't pleasant. Now we're about 500m from the same line and its quiet enough to hear the rain on the roof right now. It'll have more or less of a bearing for each person, but I think its important to consider things like noise and pollution.

will2

Likes Dirt
Freshwater, queenscliff, manly, curl curl balgowlah come. Do it

Sent from my RM-821_eu_italy_310 using Tapatalk

wombat

Lives in a hole
My brother was in Petersham for a while, aircraft noise there sucked. But down at strathfield, pretty much smack bang between parra road and the train and you could be forgiven for thinking you're in a rural spot.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

natskis

Likes Bikes
Cafe culture south of the bridge is the best in Sydney.
Redfern, Newtown, Erskinville, Surry Hills are all brilliant.

I've moved all around Redfern/Chippendale and lived out west when I was younger.

Friends from north of the bridge and west are always coming into this area for coffee/restaurants etc on the weekends

However, in terms of riding, unless you ride laps around centennial park in the loop (or do some cheeky ones off track) there's not much.

If you want to ride after work, you'll be in a car/train/ferry heading north or south.
Manly Dam via ferry, OMV via Train or hop in a car and battle peak hour to get to some other trails.

Keep in mind if you're travelling early on weekends to trails, everything in Sydney is under 1 hour to get to from the CBD.
Heck if you leave 7-8am you can be in Ourimbah in the central coast in 1 hour and 15 mins.

But for most times, avoid military road like the plague.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've spent the last 7 years living around Cremorne and North Sydney. Whilst I can't really fault it too much it doesn't really have much of an atmosphere - I would even go as far to say it's a little bit soulless! Buses to the city however they are unreliable (might as well not bother with a timetable) and they are usually packed (especially down Military Road!)

I used to go the gym and shopping at Mosman and I've never seen so many arrogant, self appointed "I'm better than you" people in my life! I guess because it's a rich area people have to keep the act up!

I've just moved to the inner west (Summer Hill) and I'm already finding it a better place to live than the lower North Shore. People seem to be less uptight, eating out is cheaper and the food is arguably better! Drinks are a lot cheaper at the pub too! I'm located right on the train line and train takes about 15 mins into the City. We have been copping a bit of plane noise but it doesn't really bother me!

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
^^frango's and dean's diner. Nothing else compares. Probably have a frangos up north but there's only one dean's.

marc.r

Likes Dirt
honestly thing the new area between redfern and rosebery south of the city is the best area right now. heaps of new stuff. community is good. cafes and resteraunts and shopping is great. transport is good. super close to the city.

ChopSticks

Banned
honestly thing the new area between redfern and rosebery south of the city is the best area right now.
Zetland is becoming a massive housing suburb....Apartments galore..... close to the city....but havin to drive there a few times a week.... the traffic is FUCKING SHIT
it takes 20 minutes just to drive back into the CBD....... dont do it...

my02

Likes Dirt
Chopsticks, if you're taking the main roads then that timing is not surprising. I used to have clients in Zetland, Alexandria, Waterloo etc and for the most part, it took around 20 mins to back to St Leonards. You just be to try a few different routes. Like MTB, the most direct route isnt always the quickest.

I'd agree with Marc R about that area. It's already going through some great development and is going to get bettering the next few years.

ChopSticks

Banned
Chopsticks, if you're taking the main roads then that timing is not surprising. I used to have clients in Zetland, Alexandria, Waterloo etc and for the most part, it took around 20 mins to back to St Leonards. You just be to try a few different routes. Like MTB, the most direct route isnt always the quickest.

I'd agree with Marc R about that area. It's already going through some great development and is going to get bettering the next few years.

I work just off Odea Ave/Joyton Ave.... Ive tried all the back street and also Anzac pde to get back into the CBD...but the quickest route Ive found is to get onto the VERY beginning of Elizabeth St (where ford is)

but still a good 15-20min drive into the CBD no matter what time of the day it is

RCOH

Eats Squid
I live in Botany - 40 mins drive to RNP, 25 mins to manly Dam if i go early (but 1 hour coming back due to Military road, or 45 mins via Roseville Bridge). 1 hr to hornsby, 1hr 20 to Ourimbah, 1hr 40 to Awaba. 50m to Mt Annan/Menai.

Not so much of a cafe culture but it is getting better. Aircraft noise is OK because we're parralel to the N/S runway and out of the E/W runway flight path. Rent prices are OK but they are rapidly increasing as people realise how close it is to the city we pay $450 pw for an old semi. I ride to work to Ultimo every day - it is 8.5km if I go straight up Botany Rd - take 20mins (but traffic on botany road is horrendous). I normally go th elong 12 km way and get it done in about 1/2 an hour. Buses & Public transport are shit.

heaps of pubs, most have one night a week with 'tits & schnitz' if you're into that sort of thing. A couple restaurants but not much open after 9pm, except the pubs.