Where to next? Best summer shuttles/tracks

samtheman123

Cannon Fodder
I want to take my riding to the next level. I keep seeing ads for different shuttles on different mountains over summer and would like to go try one out (never done a shuttle day). Where might be most enjoyable and challenging for my ability?

I have been riding an old giant trance for half a year, after breaking my XC frame as I got into more drops and stuff. You yangs every second week.
I can ride Cressy's in about 3'25 and all the other single diamond tracks comfortably but not competition fast! Have been starting out on some double-diamond track features but only selected drops and rock gardens. I had 3 runs down Shepheard's Hill at Kinglake. That was full on but I hung on, taking all the B lines except for the drop in the middle.
I only ride with elbow and knee pads and a crappy old full-face helmet.

So, where to next? What might be a good option for my abilities? Shuttles? Tracks?

dunndog

Eats Squid
Maldon is always a fun day, rough and rocky but nothing too crazy and a lot of fun. Keep your eyes peeled for Iride at Apollo Bay, super fun, amazing spot and guaranteed to leave you gagging for more.

samtheman123

Cannon Fodder
Thanks, I hadn't heard of those places - now I have found the facebook groups hopefully I can get out there these holidays.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
If you don't mind a bit of driving Blue Dirt are having shuttles days pretty much every weekend for the rest of the season at Falls Creek, Bright, Mt Beauty and Mt Buller. Loads of awesome riding to be had. Also Alpine Gravity is doing shuttles at Barjarg this weekend and next (dunno what's happened to the rest of their schedule), which is a spectacular place to ride. All of these destinations would provide the kind of riding you want to indulge in.

Camdyson

Likes Bikes
If you don't mind a bit of driving Blue Dirt are having shuttles days pretty much every weekend for the rest of the season at Falls Creek, Bright, Mt Beauty and Mt Buller. Loads of awesome riding to be had. Also Alpine Gravity is doing shuttles at Barjarg this weekend and next (dunno what's happened to the rest of their schedule), which is a spectacular place to ride. All of these destinations would provide the kind of riding you want to indulge in.
The new all mountain run at Bright is looking awesome too - looks like being open by year's end so watch for that. If you're up for a big drive some time, Thredbo is still the duck's guts IMHO - everything from easy flow through all mountain to full on DH, with chairlift and a great location.

Bright is a great base to ride Mystic Bowl runs, Mt Beauty and Falls Creek.

Have fun,

Cam

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
My Buller

I started doing shuttles last summer and am familiar with the terrain you are currently riding. I haven't tried a lot of places but would definitely recommend Mt Buller to you.

You will be at home on Copperhead and challenged by Abom and Yellowpost but they will still be ridable and fun for you.

You can either stay on the mountain or do what i did and camp down at the bottom and ride all the way back to your car at the end.

samtheman123

Cannon Fodder
Buller and season pass

Thanks Yuley, that is really helpful. I am the kind of guy to camp at the bottom and walk up too...or at least buy a day pass and do that the next day for a final run before heading home. Reading the mt buller trail map, I was under the impression that you had to have a shuttle pass to use the trails. Or are they open for anyone, pass or not?

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Thanks Yuley, that is really helpful. I am the kind of guy to camp at the bottom and walk up too...or at least buy a day pass and do that the next day for a final run before heading home. Reading the mt buller trail map, I was under the impression that you had to have a shuttle pass to use the trails. Or are they open for anyone, pass or not?
Open to anyone. You only need a lift or shuttle pass if wanting to use the lift or shuttle. That was the case two years ago anyway.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Open to anyone. You only need a lift or shuttle pass if wanting to use the lift or shuttle. That was the case two years ago anyway.
This but you will get value out of a shuttle pass. For reference, I camped at Mirimbah and paid $20 for a shuttle up the mountain first thing (you really don't want to ride that bit). I then paid a different shuttle service (Bluedirt) $50 for the day so I could ride the downhill trails non stop. You don't. Red to pay for this service But you will get very tired very quickly if you don't.

At the end of the day, you can ride one of two different trails all the way back down the mountain to your car. It's pretty epic.