Where to ride between Melb & Wagga?

kiwijohn

Likes Dirt
I'm driving up to uni next Friday from Tassie. Don't have to be in Wagga til 5, so want to stop for a couple hours of riding on the way.
I've hit Beechworth the last 2 years but want a change. Also heard Albury is worth a look.
Any locals give me some pointers of some decent riding along the way. Prefer somewhere I won't get lost & with secure parking.
I don't want to go too far out of my way, so probably not You Yangs.
Anyone ken for a ride next friday?

Hud

Likes Dirt
I've ridden Nail Can Hill in Albury, though you really need a guide. Wagga has some good riding including signposted trails I believe. PM Ben_M who is a regular on the Aussie forum on mtbr.com.

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
+1 for Nail Can Hill (Albury) - although I am biased. If you hit the right trailhead, no need for a guide.

Our main trailhead is at the southern end of Range Rd (here) and numerous tracks off to both the left and right of the firetrail heading up the hill. Mostly signposted now as well.

http://mtbalb.com/maps.asp has some excellent maps of the various trails.

Hud

Likes Dirt
Sorry didn't mean to be misleading about nailcan, been a while since I was there. The xc loop looks good!

kiwijohn

Likes Dirt
No worries. A change of scenery will be good. looks like there's been a bit of work done at Beechworth as well. Wonder if I can hit both?

Ben_M

Likes Bikes
I've ridden Nail Can Hill in Albury, though you really need a guide. Wagga has some good riding including signposted trails I believe. PM Ben_M who is a regular on the Aussie forum on mtbr.com.
Hell, you can PM me here if you want....

Have only ridden the new trails at Nailcan once but they are great, id love to go back again.

Another option is Bright. Have not ridden there myself but I have been told its good, and not too far off the Highway either. Ill be riding there later in the year in the RAMBO series. There is a bike hire shop on the way into town, im sure they could point you in the right direction fir the trails.

Im guessing Wagga is your final destination? Send me a PM if you are interested in a ride. Theres lots of us here that ride, and lots of different places to hit up.

paulb

Likes Dirt
Albury MTB maps

For tracks up Nail Can Hill in Albury (as distinct from the XC track down the bottom :p) I think the map here http://www.mtbtrail.net/content/view/57/38/ is better. Also a bit out of date but shows most of the singletrack up the top, where the main mtbalb area map shows mostly the firetrail.

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For tracks up Nail Can Hill in Albury (as distinct from the XC track down the bottom :p) I think the map here http://www.mtbtrail.net/content/view/57/38/ is better. Also a bit out of date but shows most of the singletrack up the top, where the main mtbalb area map shows mostly the firetrail.
That link looks dead Paul , heres an updated map I did tonight. Best ridden with a guide but at least you can get an idea of what's where on my dodgy map :)

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a110/sspinner/nailcantrailsJuly09.jpg

Last edited:

kiwijohn

Likes Dirt
Thanx for the help guys. Looks like I should be busy for 2 or 3 hours.
What's the weather been like up there? Have to decide which bike to bring, the racey HT or the FS all rounder? I know the HT works better at Wagga, but it ain't so good in the wet.

paulb

Likes Dirt
It's been miserably damp all week but I went for a lap of the xc track this evening and it's pretty good. A few puddles here and there but mostly fairly grippy. Tyres have a coat of sandy mud and a few splashes on the frame.

kiwijohn

Likes Dirt
Sweet, HT it is.
It's been raining down here all week, not a lot of fun to ride in. Should probably be doing some study instead.

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Went for a 2 hour ride with Josh T last Saturday , one hour of it in light rain. We didn't get very muddy , but Josh showed me a new link from Ridge trail to TV track. Fresh loam , plenty of drift. Great fun. It's a great place to ride in the wet.

I'd say HT for speed , FS for comfort. It's a bit rough in places......and I'm old and frail , so FS all the way for me :)