Which 29er? Cannondale Flash or Rocky Mountain Vertex

uphill

Squid
I'm looking for a 29er for endurance races(100km races and some stage races). Originally I was looking at full suspension but there are a few hardtails that look like they might suit my needs. I have been looking at the Cannondale Flash 29er which looks like it would not be too harsh for a hardtail. I then saw the write up on a Rocky Mountain Vertex in AMB which sounds similar in the way the seat and chain stays are designed. Does anyone have any experience with either and does anyone know of shops in Sydney that stock the Rocky Mountain?
Cheers

jarv

Likes Bikes
Im guessing your after the carbon version of these bikes.I would also consider the Scott carbon as well. The rear stays on this bike are quite narrow so this should result in a compliant ride.If your after a Rocky Mountain in Sydney Belrose Bicycles and Chain reaction Cycles in Cronulla sell them.It might be hard getting to demo this bike.

wattieez

Likes Dirt
They may have 'flexi' rear ends but they are no way like a dually

I have the 2011 Flash carbon, it's great at taking out that small chatter but you'll still feel the big bumps.
I guess it really comes down to your fit, and do you like lefty's?

krisko

Likes Dirt
They may have 'flexi' rear ends but they are no way like a dually

I have the 2011 Flash carbon, it's great at taking out that small chatter but you'll still feel the big bumps.
I guess it really comes down to your fit, and do you like lefty's?
I have a 2012 Flash and although its not a dually its a soft tail for sure. Im tall with a fair amount of post out, this helps big time.
There is easily 30-40mm in the post flex and another 20mm-25mm in the frame add Schwalbe Racing Ralphs and you have a pretty cushy ride.

I have also seen the Vertex in the mag and it looks good. The Flash has the lefty which is damn sweet and is about .5kg lighter if that makes any difference to you?

uphill

Squid
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not expecting dually like compliance but a little bit of flex would help. I will be changing from a 26 Anthem to a 29 hardtail so I figure the increase in wheel size will also help soften the ride a little. As for the lefty, I haven't ridden a lefty before but heard good things about them. I am keen to keep the weight down so this will come into the decision as well. Price wise I think they are fairly close for similar spec. I will check out the Scott as well.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
a titanium seat post will give you the same amount of "give" at a fraction of the cost - just sayin

Big JD

Wheel size expert
what titanium posts would you recommend?
either a Moots Cinch, Kent Erickson or a Blacksheep with thomson head. I have a Thomson and a Moots and the difference is staggering. You need quite a bit of post out for full benefit.

I am 100kgs and I am very hard on posts and their adjustment mechanism - my Moots is three years old.

markyh990

Likes Dirt
There are so many conflicting reports on the 'comfort' levels of 29ers. I have been doing my research for the last few months and every ride report is conflicting. I think it depends so much on the bike the tester usually rides. If a ht riders reviews a ht 29er they will probably find it comfortable. But if a 6 inch AM rider jumps on a 29er ht they will be all beat up. I gave up on trying to find a 'comfortable' ride and settled with a Santa Cruz Highball carbon, and am putting the finishing touches on it now, ill let you know how it goes as im also coming of a 26 anthem.

Delmar

Likes Dirt
There are so many conflicting reports on the 'comfort' levels of 29ers. I have been doing my research for the last few months and every ride report is conflicting. I think it depends so much on the bike the tester usually rides. If a ht riders reviews a ht 29er they will probably find it comfortable. But if a 6 inch AM rider jumps on a 29er ht they will be all beat up. I gave up on trying to find a 'comfortable' ride and settled with a Santa Cruz Highball carbon, and am putting the finishing touches on it now, ill let you know how it goes as im also coming of a 26 anthem.
Mate I'm going through the same process and have found the same thing. I have a back up bike for the time being so I'm trying to be really careful about what I buy next but have no real clarity yet. Unfortunately finances mean that whatever I do buy that will be it for a long time, so I want to get it right. Very interested in your thoughts!

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
I really like the Rocky Mountain Vertex, got a good review in AMB. This at least gives you an idea on how it performs...pretty good apparently. Can't get my head around the whole lefty thing, but I haven't ridden one either. Will be interesting to see what you go with. I am looking to upgrade in the near future. Rocky Mountain Vertex & Giant 29er (might see what the 2013 model brings) are on my radar.

craigl

Likes Dirt
Scott Scale 29er Pro - 2012 Mountain Bike

I have a Scott Scale Pro in an XL size with some cardon ritchey bars stem and post added I got on sale that make for one good looking bike!

Coming off a Giant Trance to a 29er HT was a big change! You do get some flex in the rear end but you can't compare a HT and a full sup.. I had the same thought about the 26 full sup.. being similar to the 29er HT rear stay flex but you don't get that much may be 10 to 15mm all up with the seat post and stay flex.

If you are after a more compliant ride you would be better off getting a full sup. bike, I find it a little harsh and if I had my time over I would save my pennies and got the dually. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Oldas

Likes Dirt
I'm looking for a 29er for endurance races(100km races and some stage races). Originally I was looking at full suspension but there are a few hardtails that look like they might suit my needs. I have been looking at the Cannondale Flash 29er which looks like it would not be too harsh for a hardtail. I then saw the write up on a Rocky Mountain Vertex in AMB which sounds similar in the way the seat and chain stays are designed. Does anyone have any experience with either and does anyone know of shops in Sydney that stock the Rocky Mountain?
Cheers

Hi

I have a Flash 29er1, if you purchase one you will not be disappointed.

You need to be a lover of the hard tail though. If your looking for something to give your back a break then this isn't the bike for you. It's designed to be ridden fast in my opinion and if you just cruise around you will see why I say that. Once you stiffen up the lefty fork you can really get moving and the bike comes alive.

For me, it feels the same as my previous carbon 26 hard tails which is exactly what I wanted.

You should be able to test ride 2011 versions and this is the only way you can make your own decisions. As for reviews in Magazines, well....

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I like both but would choose the Rocky Mountain because:

1. I'm old & conservative; hence freaked out by how different the leftie is. :)
2. I'm a huge fan of RM bikes and an ex-owner of an alloy 26" HT Vertex that handled amazing.

quiggs

Likes Dirt
As a present owner of a Rocky Mountain Vertex 990, that has come off a Giant Anthem X, comparing the two is easy the Vertex is a pure race bike it but has all the talked up advantages of the 29er verses a 26'' plus it has the stiffness that will have you thinking how did I get around on a bike that had s much flex laterally! With all honesty the AMB review was pretty much spot on in all aspects, the Vertex is a rocket ship, is laterally stiff but has the compliancy vertically of a smaller travel bike, saying its comparable to a 4'' dually would be incorrect because no hard tail can absorb the bigger bumps of a full travel bike, but small ripple bumps in a trail are absorbed. Where the vertex gets most of its rear end compliance is from the use of a 27.2mm seatpost, not so much the rear triangles construction. The use of the oversized axles, large BB and bloc front fork turns this bike into no other when sprinting out of the saddle or blasting down fire road sections in a race environment.

Now the bad news there aren't any left in stock in Australia, they got gobbled up real quick once released and the only stock left would be what shops have on hand, good news is there is am 20'' size in the Vertex 970 still available from the distributor http://adventurebramds.com.au. It still is running the same frame as the 990 with a lesser component spec check out the Rocky Mountain page to compare http://bikes.com. Alternatively bikes can be specially ordered in from Canada, through your local Rocky retailer, it will just take a bit more time but believe me its worth the wait!.

Disclaimer I get looked after by Adventure Brands (Rocky Mountain Aust distributor) and iRide Bikes but don't work for them!

quiggs

uphill

Squid
Thanks for the recommendations, I think I will be going the hardtail option. I don't think I would be disappointed by either bike going off the comments. Timing isn't too much of an issue and if I have to wait for a bike I'm not to concerned. Now I need to get a ride on one of each and make a decision.

quiggs

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the recommendations, I think I will be going the hardtail option. I don't think I would be disappointed by either bike going off the comments. Timing isn't too much of an issue and if I have to wait for a bike I'm not to concerned. Now I need to get a ride on one of each and make a decision.
If you are in Melb i could hook you up for a ride on one

uphill

Squid
If you are in Melb i could hook you up for a ride on one
Thanks for the offer, unfortunately I'm in Sydney and don't get down south to ride very often. There are a couple of stores around Sydney - I should be able to get a ride on something close to what I'm looking at.
Cheers

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Just checked out a Rocky Mountain Vertex 970 at my LBS. What a great looking bike :)))). I will be taking one for a test ride soon. If it rides as good as it looks it will be my next bike for sure. The reviews are all good so I might start negotiating......with the wife!!