Which bike do i buy? (2nd hand)

dan84

Squid
Hello hello
I'm looking to buy a Downhill bike.
Have a max budget of $1500.
I'm 6ft so guessing i need a large frame?
After some pointers on what to look for in purchase eg shock, forks, frame, brand etc etc
All advice appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

mtbdh

Likes Bikes
hi mate, id say maybe a glory, i found few on ebay in the past for 1500 ('10-'11 models)
Or
ironhorse
older V10 or Demo

mtbdh

Likes Bikes
more important the specs on it, get a better forks at least than u still can upgrade the other parts bit by bit

dan84

Squid
I've come across a 2012 giant glory 01.
Would that be suitable? Are they specd reasonably?
I'm 6ft and the frame size is large?

I've come across a 2012 giant glory 01.
Would that be suitable? Are they specd reasonably?
I'm 6ft and the frame size is large?
It depends man.

Be very carefull buying second hand. I can't stress this enough. Especially downhill bikes.

I would only buy second hand locally. You want to check the bike out thoroughly and know exactly what you're looking for.

- Check spoke tension, will the rims need replacing?

- Check chainring / cassette wear.

- Alot of riders do not get their suspension serviced often enough, so buying bikes a few years old you could need both fork and shock rebuilt (not cheap).

- Most importantly, frame condition. Go over every inch of it and look for cracks. Check frame alignment too. Be prepared to buy new bearings for the frame.

- Be inquisitive. Ask the seller about the bikes service history, place of purchase etc.

Having said that, there are some serious bargains floating around these days. A lot of riders don't use the forum, hence advertising their bikes elsewhere. You should uncover a lot of bikes locally on gumtree, ebay, smaller local mtb forums etc.

Goodluck :thumb:

B.utters

Likes Dirt
Sundays are a good buy if you are looking for a cheap bike that will perform well. You can easily update it to suit modern geometry standards, there are still plenty of spare parts to be found and there is probably more info about setting up Sundays and getting the most out of them on the internet than any other bike.

Some things to look for when buying any bike, but especially second hand bikes:

-Make sure the frame has commonly used standards. (i.e. ISCG 05 tabs, 83mm BB, 150mm rear hub spacing, 1.5" head set, 9.5 x 3 shock) this makes getting spare parts a whole lot easier and cheaper and if you break something at a race etc there's a strong chance someone else at the event will have a part that you can borrow/buy.

-Avoid frames that need proprietary parts (especially shocks). If you break something a few years down the track and the manufacturer no longer makes parts for the frame then you are screwed.

-Do some research on common problems with the frame you are looking at buying. e.g. A lot of people got royally fucked over with Evil Revolts a few years ago

-Check how much new linkages and bearing kits cost. Some manufactures make some pretty expensive kits......

Hope that helps