Which bike do I need to ride trails like Melrose?

ducky1988

Likes Dirt
Anything between 140mm-160mm is more than enough for Adelaide trails. I have a Norco Range and find it's more than enough for most trails.
If building keeps going to way it is in S.A. a rigid like Acklands is going to be the best option for our new trails (freeways)

On a more helpful note, why don't you hit up Bicycle Express, Bicycle Centre Mitcham or Bike Society and see what they have. BE have a reno sale on at the moment so there might be a few bargains left. Nathan at Mitcham has probably forgotten more about bike than most people know in Adelaide. Bike society are usually pretty good when it comes to recommending the right stuff. I would guarantee most the people in the stores have ridden melrose and can help you out. Going to all three stores will give you a pretty broad range of brands and prices.

Giant Adelaide may be able to help you as long as you go in on a day that all the planets are aligned, the wind is blowing N/E and the leprechauns are prancing around the fields.

I think you're probably going to end up liking the 140mm option the most. Something along the lines of a Stumpjumper EVO, Giant Trance, Norco Sight or Trek fuel.

Hopefully my whimsical information helped you a little.

Kingray7

Likes Bikes
^^ I'm a tall guy so inclined to stick to 29". Giants are pretty limited in 29 these days. I'd also think 140mm on a 29 would be upper end for my needs (eg Remedy) but I'd be open to other views. Being basically XL in everything can limit one's options (especially at sale time, but even more generally) so I just need to see what's out there. When I've shopped for bikes in the past, frequently it's a case of "we don't have stock but let's see what the distributors have- er, computer says no" when I narrow it down to a specific model in my size.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
What was your budget again Kingray?

A Niner RIP9 RDO would be all boxes ticked with a pike I reckon...

Kingray7

Likes Bikes
Budget mid $3k - mid $4k tops. So far what's grabbed my attention is a Stumpjumper Elite (alloy) with a Pike and brain- love the idea of the fork, so keen re the rear - noting that the next generation of Stumpjumper will be EVO geometry and dropped the brain. RRP on that is $4.5k, was quoted $3800 on that. However I keep coming back to the Remedy 9 spec as the bike most likely . If I can snag a deal in my size it might just work.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Even though you're a big guy, I wouldn't rule out 650b bikes in the 120-140 travel range.
Fitted with 2.4" tyres, the wheels are pretty big.
The Norco sight is pretty hard to go past.

I've ridden plenty of long travel 29" bikes and the wheels really aren't suited to longer travel as well as the smaller options.

slo

Likes Dirt
^^650b is good. as said in previous post on wide open and climbing i can keep up with buddies on 26's who are a lot faster than me.
but it doesnt feel awkward, just fun to ride!

also, if the majority of you riding is done out at melrose.
dont forget to check out the lads shop up there, good to buy from the shop you will most frequent.

let us know how you go mate!
new bikes are always rad :dance::dance::dance:

ducky1988

Likes Dirt
How tall are you?
I am 187cm and find most L size bikes these days to be fine.

I have always though wheel size is related to how you ride and not your size.
bigger wheels carry more speed, smaller wheels generate more speed etc.

Kingray7

Likes Bikes
I'm 6"2 (and a 1/2) so 6'3" easy in shoes. Experience suggests with my long torso I'm always in the XL range for roadies and MTB. I'm not averse to 650B either. Dropped into Giant Adelaide today and fark all in my size. I'm now thinking Trek and Norco - bugger the wheel size, it's all about the overall fit. Hey, when I had an Avanti 26" I never stopped to think "if only I had bigger wheels".

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have always though wheel size is related to how you ride and not your size.
bigger wheels carry more speed, smaller wheels generate more speed etc.
True to a point, but a taller person stands a better chance of maneuvering a "long" travel 29er. Would be a great bike for most of Melrose too. But then, so would a light, mid travel 650b.

Melrose has some challenging climbs, don't make them any harder than necessary.

mint355

Likes Dirt
I'm 6"2 (and a 1/2) so 6'3" easy in shoes. Experience suggests with my long torso I'm always in the XL range for roadies and MTB. I'm not averse to 650B either. Dropped into Giant Adelaide today and fark all in my size. I'm now thinking Trek and Norco - bugger the wheel size, it's all about the overall fit. Hey, when I had an Avanti 26" I never stopped to think "if only I had bigger wheels".
If your keen I have a mate with a Yeti sb66 alloy in XL frame that has been sitting under his bed for months since he got a carbon. He is on here ZAF is his name hit him up on PM

ads_11

Likes Bikes
Yep, I have also got something that might suit your needs.. And I am in Adelaide if your keen for a looksee and throw a leg over..

marc.r

Likes Dirt
so im doing some work at the end of the month in port pirie. ive organized to duck over the melrose for a night and a day to have another trash of the beautiful single track. :love:

because im only in for the day I am planning to rent a bike from OTE. i normally ride a small so there isnt much available but im thinking I might just grab one of the mediums, ask them to short stem it and put up with it! the reign thats my regular ride is long as heck for a small anyway!

anyone got a suggestion on which bad boy I should go for?

liteville? knolly warden? mojo hdr. not planning on taking on of the treks, might as well and splash out and get something special that i wouldnt normally have the chance to ride!

http://otesports.com.au/hire-a-bike/

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I'm 6"2 (and a 1/2) so 6'3" easy in shoes. Experience suggests with my long torso I'm always in the XL range for roadies and MTB. I'm not averse to 650B either. Dropped into Giant Adelaide today and fark all in my size.
Really? They had a 650b Giant Trance something (top of the range alloy model) in XL there last week. I demo'd it a few months ago. Rated it, like a 140mm travel XC bike (and I mean that as a compliment). Would've bought it but I got something better secondhand.

si618

Likes Dirt

liteville? knolly warden? mojo hdr.
We were up there last month and were drooling over the ibis mojo. That would be my choice, but I don't think you can go too far wrong with any of them.

Also, wait a few hours into the day before hitting greener pastures...that little rock garden is pretty slippery in the morning dew, but you can plough through it once the sun dries it out a bit.

FWIW, I found my 150mm reign good for the Melrose trails, but I just climb for the downs, and something slightly less in travel would be perfectly fine, 140mm probably ideal. I like having more forgiving suspension, it's handy when you overshoot a tabletop by a few metres, or hit an exposed tree root at speed :)

Ackland

chats d'élevage

liteville? knolly warden? mojo hdr. not planning on taking on of the treks, might as well and splash out and get something special that i wouldnt normally have the chance to ride!

http://otesports.com.au/hire-a-bike/
Liteville fo SHO!

Never been impressed by the Ibis... the Knolly builds they rent are fairly heavy but the suspension is nice. Linkage is better suited to a long travel beast.

Talk to the guys in the shop, you might get yourself a guided ride and they can point you towards the best food and accomodation

marc.r

Likes Dirt
Just spent the day riding Melrose. The tracks and weather are amazing right now. Ranging from damp but not wet tobdry but not dusty. Real hero dirt conditions. Sunny but cool enough you don't get hot And no snakes!! It's a perfect time to head up if you can get a chance.

Ended up going with the knolly. The build was top spec. Carbon bars, next sl carbon cranks, pikes and ccdb cs shock and xo1 drive train. Build was surprisingly light. The one standout characteristic was now easy it was to flick and lift the rear end. I was slashing and euro turning downhill switchbacks to my hearts content!

What is said above about overshooting the little table tops is true. If you rail some turns you can come into the jumps a little hot and end up landing flat. The knolly and pike are nicely progressive and took it all in their stride using about 85-90% travel.

Such a well balanced bike too so easy to ride without needing go get used to it. Just get on and ride it like its your own!

ongwooijin

Likes Bikes
Looks like we share a few things in common.
I'm 6'2". Ride a 29er with 160mm travel.
Last time I rode Melrose was during the June long weekend.
Here's a clip of me (2nd rider) overshooting the table top at Dodging Bullets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aylYpf0ztyA&feature=youtu.be

Happy to know u ended up with the Knolly which you would have probably purchased at the local OTE shop? Great people in that shop.
Happy riding and hope to see u in Melrose soon...

Last edited: