which cables

Mommers

Likes Dirt
i know this thread might sound like its been done 30 times but i did a search and didn't find what I want to know.

As im using Hayes 6" cable discs and finding that they are quite crap im seriously considering upgrading. I cant afford hydros but my options are Deore cables or Avid's.

Are these a better than the Hayes or is it just more worthwhile to save a bit longer and get a set of Armor hydros??

S.

ex offender
Avids are a HELL of a lot better than Hayes mechs... nearly on par with Hayes/Hope/XT hydros, and arguably better than Armors IMO.

TOSS3R

Likes Dirt
could i suggest looking at cable rope for your hayes...it is thicker that the standard cable, doesn't kink as it has rope properties (woven) and cost is about $30...it modulates your braking similar to that of a hydraulic brake and could be a hell of a lot cheaper than upgrading...it should bring the performance of your brakes up noticably! definately worth looking at! good luck!

Mommers

Likes Dirt
yeah, i have heard alot of good things about avids....

one question, is it reccommended to use Avid levers or will they perform just as good with my Shimano STX RC levers?

S.

ex offender
Mommers said:
yeah, i have heard alot of good things about avids....

one question, is it reccommended to use Avid levers or will they perform just as good with my Shimano STX RC levers?
Avid levers would probably work better (due to the adjustable leverage and whatnot) but they'll work fine with your current levers.

TOSS3R

Likes Dirt
if you wish to go avids i believe they come levers and all quite cheap! im am pretty sure they run the same with or without but the pirce difference would be marginal, allowing you to sell you hayes with the shimano levers! i still cant help but suggest the cable rope!!!

Mommers

Likes Dirt
TOSS3R said:
if you wish to go avids i believe they come levers and all quite cheap! im am pretty sure they run the same with or without but the pirce difference would be marginal, allowing you to sell you hayes with the shimano levers! i still cant help but suggest the cable rope!!!

yeah...i've never heard of it this stuff, have you got any idea what the name of this stuff is? :?:

TOSS3R

Likes Dirt
just go into your local and ask about it...all i have ever heard it caller is rope cable...i ran it on the U-brake on my bmx and it was sweet as! never had any mechanicals though but i hav eriden bieks with it and it seems to do the trick! but avids are nice too but you couold save you bucks here and get hydro's down the track...or something else that would pimp up your ride...your call!

Rik

logged out
Mommers said:
will they perform just as good with my Shimano STX RC levers?
If they're the STXRC levers that have the "power modulator" adjustment, then stick with them, as I think they are THE best lever for mechanical disc brakes.

IMO: Shimano Alivio cable discs will give a whole shitload of power when combined with the power modulator levers (I'm running an Alivio cable disc with a DX lever on my XC bike), so save your dosh and stick with that.

Mommers

Likes Dirt
Rik said:
Mommers said:
will they perform just as good with my Shimano STX RC levers?
If they're the STXRC levers that have the "power modulator" adjustment, then stick with them, as I think they are THE best lever for mechanical disc brakes.

IMO: Shimano Alivio cable discs will give a whole shitload of power when combined with the power modulator levers (I'm running an Alivio cable disc with a DX lever on my XC bike), so save your dosh and stick with that.
Thanks Rik, sounds like a much better alternative. And yes, the STXRC levers im using are the ones with the power adjustment.

Question is...can you buy alivio cables discs aftermarket or are they an OEM product? If not will i just have to go with deore cables?

Rik

logged out
They're not really Alivio as such, they're "non series" components, BR-m475, and they're available aftermarket as far as I know. Get them dialed in, and you'll be amazed at the power you have. Very cheap too.

ZZ

Likes Dirt
avid

Avids are awsome,I'm about to try them on a DH bike(I'm only light). Have you tryed EBC red pads in the Hayes? Much more bite.