Which Camelbak?

sidathensgold

Likes Dirt
Hi, I cheaped out on my past two hydration packs, and have finally decided
(after having numerous problems) to buy it once and buy it right. Im after a camelbak branded hydration pack for racing enduros and epics, and 2-3 hr riding. Im hoping for 2-3L water capacity, but Im unsure of how much capacity I need to store a rain jacket (cycling one that packs to size of jersey pocket), C02, multi tool, tube and some bars. I pretty much want the least storage space that will cover these needs. The Lobo looks quite nice with 3L water/3L cargo, but is this enough? The mule has 3L water and 9L cargo, and finally the blowfish can have 3L water and 7 or 12 L because its expandable. Which one???
Check em out here
http://www.camelbak.com.au/secureshop/category.php?cat_id=27&page=2

Mods, I put this here because of the relevant crowd. If it should be in parts or general, go nuts and put it there...

twitcher

Squid
Hi mate, I think the Lobo would probably suit you. There's a decent amount of storage, enough for everything you just listed anyways, and it's got the bonus of having an external filler cap which means you don't have to take the reservoir out of the pack. Let me know when you're ready to buy one, I've got quite a few in stock and I'll do you a sweet deal:). Cheers.

DIRT ROCKS N TREES

Likes Bikes
theres alot of brands out there that are half the price of others that do the job perfect look around you might get 2 different sized hydration systems for the price of 1 well known brand

DeBloot

Feeling old
I got a MULE at a realistic price on ebay and it is the best ever. It says 3 litres, but realistically 2.5. When full, I can fit a tube, pump, multi tool etc and a small jacket. If I take a sandwich it can be quite flat by the time I eat it. Theres more room for phone , sunscreen, fly repel etc in the front. It always feels comfortable - don't know if I would want smaller (or bigger). It sits great and I love it.

check out any drink systems from hydrapack, the quality and useability is alot better than camelpack IMO.
cleaning is alot easier camelpack still use a screw in plug to fill and empty so if you want to wash it your still left with remnants swishing around the bladder (found out the hard way leaving a little endura left in it)

hydrapack use a scilicone roll top bladder which doesnt leave a plactic taste in your mouth and being a roll top you can flip the bag inside out to totally clean it out.
the bags are fully insulated and will do more than what you need, i've got 3 of them depending on what/where and how i'm riding

i usually order mine from www.mcas.com.au and i noticed they have a few of the bigger ones on sale also

I would go for the Mule. I have both the Mule and the Lobo and very rarely use the Lobo simply because you can fit so much more into the Mule and the weight difference between the two packs is not really enough to concern me.

Having said that, the external fill on the Lobo is a great feature and for short rides/races, or weight conscious riders, it's definitely the one to go for.

The Mule seems like a better pick for you because it can be a do-it-all pack. Also, if you look at them side by side the Mule just looks like it's a bit better quality and likely to last longer.

Or do what I did, find some super cheap internet bargains and get them both!

Simmo.

Likes Dirt
I'll be buying the Camelbak M.U.L.E soon for XC Riding. I think it's around the $150 mark (correct me if I'm wrong.) With 3L water capacity and 9L cargo, it's looks great for holding various tools, spare tubes, food, wallet, mobile, sunscreen, etc.

Bucket Master

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
IMO the Lobo is the way to go. I have a Rimrunner (approx 20L) and Lobo - I use the runner for light multi day treks and the lobo for everything else. If you have a mule with 9l of space you will use it - the real question is do you need it (the 9L of gear etc).

The lobo has space for a pump on the side, wallett, keys, tools and phone in the upper pocket, food (sambo, power bar) and tube in the lower pocket. It also has spce to strap a vest and a rain jacket.

Do you need any more than that in a days riding?

bitterbro

Likes Dirt
The lobo. It's a nice size, not too much baggage, yet there's the perfect amount for some snacks, keys, wallet, pump and some other goodies. I've got a similar size and iti's perfect, dosn't feel like you're lugging around some big backpack

I just bought a MULE and its a lot smaller than I first thought it would be. This I see is a good thing. It can hold a fair bit of stuff *if* you want it to. If you don't then you can tighten up all the straps and just hold water. It's still very non-intrusive and small enough to forget its there after a while.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
I suggest just getting a bladder ... 3L with the large filler. You've likely still got some decent packs ... relatively speaking ... from your cheapo purchases. so just replace the bladder.

If those are crap, try finding yourself a Mountain Design outlet store and get one of their cycling packs (I have a cool one, which I have no idea what model it is ... but has some great compact compartments and pockets).

If money is no object ... I've read good things about Dakine packs ... I know their snowboard kit is pretty good quality so guessing their cycling stuff must be similarly good. EXPENSIVE :(

Otherwise ... MULE it ... I have a brand new red & black if you like ... PM if your interested.

sidathensgold

Likes Dirt
I got the MULE after a bit of thought and viewing everyones opinion. Thanks everyone. I reckon I made the right choice, cos even if I have extra room, this pack allows me to simply strap in all down. One very happy customer, maiden voyage.....Otway Oddysey

You should get an underseat bag and keep all the heavy stuff in that. Avoid weight on your back unless its a liquid. To keep everything from bouncing around on your back you either need something to push against the pockets (liquid) or you have to do the straps up tight, or both. Tight straps = less blood = aches
When you have 1kg of crap moving about on your back, you'll tire more becuase you have to support it (instead the seat rails doing the job) and the possiblity of landing on your back with solid things in it right next to your spine.
Take everything out and find a place where it could mount into the bike.

Hint: A bottle can hold a surprising amount of crap. Cushion with some bubble wrap or kitchen nylon scrubber.

and, a phone is the only thing I will place in the pockets that is solid. if i happen to loose the bike down a cliff, at least i have a phone!

m_g

Likes Dirt
mule...is there anything else???!!!
perfect size for 2-3 hour ride (suprisingly compact, but 3 l bladder), with enough space to fill up for an all day epic...comfortable, and look the goods...hard wearing too...love mine

Tenpoints

Likes Dirt
Does anyone know if the pump holder on the Lobo or Rogue would fit one of the NiMH batteries from Niterider (namely the one that comes with the Firestorm)? Approx dimensions = 12cm x 5cm x 5cm