Which clipless pedals for AM?

Dirt Devil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've ordered a new bike for trail/AM riding after spending the last 7+ years riding mostly DH on flat pedals.

I want to try clipless again (I haven't ridden on them since the original red Shimano DX pedals - still have my Airwalk SPD shoes!) but I need some recommendations.

I want something with a platform but other than that I'm not sure. I was thinking Crank Brothers Mallets?

Mobywan

Likes Dirt
Have a look at the new XT's with the platform. They have better clearance than the DX's and would be lighter too. I ran the Trail XTR's on my Nomad and they were great.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I'm running XTR Trails with the clip removed on one side so I can clip in or just ride with flat shoes. Great pedal.

G-Tek

Likes Bikes
have a look at these

These are what I currently use on my Reign.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=771

I like them because they have a metal cage. They've taken a few hits from rocks on the tracks I ride around Hobart and stood up well. I like the protection they give.

They might be on the heavy side of things but the platform also helps you keep your footing when not clipped in.

Damienp

Likes Dirt
XT or XTR trail pedals. The bomb. Good in the muck too.

XT is only marginally heavier than the XTR for a lot less money. If the shop had XT's at the time I would have grabbed them.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I run Time Aliums. They work well and seem to handle a bit of rock bashing without any problems. When they do break they aren't expensive to replace.

old

Likes Bikes
Shimano m424 have also worked pretty well for me... Ive raced bmx... Riden x-country and downhill with these pedals..

driseley

Likes Bikes
Shimano

Hi, agree with the suggestions of XT or XTR pedals, especiall with removing the clip section on one side, so you can run them just as flats.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
funny ... maybe last season and for a few seasons before that ... most would have said Time zControl (which is what I run)... a couple would have said Mallets. Interesting XT and XTR trails are back in the mix, wondering if the mechanism has changed or if its just styling.

I know these are lighter then my Times, but with a smaller platform, which I'm comfy with, so if the mechanism hasn't changed then I think I'll stick with what I have. comments appreciated (especially if you've used older Shimano and Time)

Nikolai

Likes Bikes
When you remove the clip from one side, is this a reversible modification? I have visions of the first time I tried to service a set of rapidfire shifters back in the day - as soon as I cracked open the right I heard a ping, and off went some random piece. Won't do that again.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Taking the clip off XTR trails is as simple as undoing 3 screws. I can post a photo of the pedals if you would like. And yes totally reversable as long as you don't lose either the screws or clip! When I did this to my 545s I had to grind some of the pedal away to make a flat area. Again it was reversable but the ridge that supports the clip is removed so nominally the clip isn't fixed as well.

Nikolai

Likes Bikes
If you could post a pic that would be great! I have m424s, so I suppose if I have to mangle them then it's small potatoes. I'm guessing two of the bolts are those that are clearly visible from above, but I suspect that XTR pedals have another screw that these don't, as the only other bolt visible is the tension adjustment.

niki125

Likes Dirt
+1 for the Time Alium. Cheap, durable and I've never had a trouble un-cliping unlike the Xtr's i used to run.