Which derailleur?

phil p.

Likes Dirt
Hey,

So, I just got a new shimano ultegra 9sp (11-23) cassette and am looking at getting a new derailleur to replace my old one. I am currently running a sram x7 shifter & derailleur and want to get something that is shortcage, not overly expensive, good quality, and suitable to my cassette.
So, I can either go sram, and get an x9 derailleur, and keep my shifter. Or, I can go shimano, and get either a 105, ultegra (if in 9sp) or a xt shadow. Also if i go shimano i will have to get a new shifter, either a saint or the slightly less expensive sram attack shifter.

Now, I want to know these things...

1. Should I go road derailleur, or mtb? Is there any advantage? How will a mtb one go with the cassette?

2. Which derailleur would you reccomend? are there any other options that i've missed?

3. Do shimano ultegra derailleurs come in 9sp?

4. Do xt shadows come in shortcage?

5. Is there a big difference in the saint & attack shifter?

6. Where are some good places to buy these online?

I know I'm asking alot and am very thankful to anyone who can help.
Thanks!

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey,

So, I just got a new shimano ultegra 9sp (11-23) cassette and am looking at getting a new derailleur to replace my old one. I am currently running a sram x7 shifter & derailleur and want to get something that is shortcage, not overly expensive, good quality, and suitable to my cassette.
So, I can either go sram, and get an x9 derailleur, and keep my shifter. Or, I can go shimano, and get either a 105, ultegra (if in 9sp) or a xt shadow. Also if i go shimano i will have to get a new shifter, either a saint or the slightly less expensive sram attack shifter.

Now, I want to know these things...

1. Should I go road derailleur, or mtb? Is there any advantage? How will a mtb one go with the cassette?

2. Which derailleur would you reccomend? are there any other options that i've missed? ultegra or 105

3. Do shimano ultegra derailleurs come in 9sp? yes you can get them

4. Do xt shadows come in shortcage?

5. Is there a big difference in the saint & attack shifter?

6. Where are some good places to buy these online?

I know I'm asking alot and am very thankful to anyone who can help.
Thanks!
yeah go with roadie mech and go the saint shifter.

kona4lyf

Likes Dirt
or you can get a 07 model sram x9 super short cage,plenty of lbs selling them cheap right now,ive had nothin but crisp instant shifting with no hassles from mine and less chain slap,and less snags of the der cage

fatass

Banned
2. Which derailleur would you reccomend? are there any other options that i've missed? xt shadow. I had one for about a monthe and it was great (its for sale if you want it for $80, one month old since i bought a new bike and am ssing old one)

3. Do shimano ultegra derailleurs come in 9sp? pretty sure

4. Do xt shadows come in shortcage? No, but apparently you can remove a 105 short cage and use that.

5. Is there a big difference in the saint & attack shifter? I think saint feels a hell of a lot better and there isn't much more to break (got one for sale aswell :D)

6. Where are some good places to buy these online? me and www.fortheriders.com has xt shadows for like... $150 or so? and you get points :D

EDIT I rememberd www.thebikeshedmortdale.com.au has an xt and saint for sale (togethor) so that might be exactly what you want

phil p.

Likes Dirt
just another quick question cos i didn't want to start a new thread. I've noticed the ultegra sl and am really drawn to it (mainly because of the colour) does anyone know if these come in 9sp and where they are available from? thanks heaps.

Giantrider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
just another quick question cos i didn't want to start a new thread. I've noticed the ultegra sl and am really drawn to it (mainly because of the colour) does anyone know if these come in 9sp and where they are available from? thanks heaps.
Your local bike shop... :rolleyes:...
I say go the mountain bike set up, just because unless your into hard core racing, or just racing it self there aren't to many advantages to having the roadie set up.
Firstly the roadie mech (shifter and derailleur) were designed for road use, there very light but there is a fine line between performance (nice shifting) and strength.
MTB mech was design as the name states, mountain biking. Designed to be as light as possible but strong, heavier than the road mech but still good enough.. I have bashed my Shimano and sram derailleurs on rocks and brushed past a few tree stumps and they haven't snapped put out alignment but not broken. Last race i was at, i one or two road derailleurs break and a chain snap..

My $4 dollars