Which DH Chain Guide?

stinky dee

Likes Dirt
Im building up a new dh bike with saint cranks but am not sure which chain guide to go with? I think i will stick with one of the major brands and like the look of the Straitline Silent Guide but was wondering what other peoples (informed) opinions were?

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
why go elsewhere ...

Csixx 150gm ... 150 grams of fully moulded carbon ... unlike the flat stuck cookie cutter competition these won't fray or flake as it fully utilises the inherent strengths of moulded carbon. unit directional layup for strength. Blended with kevlar, the csixx guides are designed to first slide on impact, even better then polycarb bits found on the alloy competitors ... then flex with the forces ... but more importantly spring back into shape ... thats right, none of this warped alloy boomerang shizzle we've all gone through.

Want more protection ?? well meet the 175gh, heavy protection with full carbon bashy @ only 175 grams. Pushie has all colours inbound and hopefully ready to ship next week

Pedalling or Gravity ... csixx has the guides you need. :pirate:

A bit about cSixx.
Mark Hopkins the founder of South African cSixx was instrumental in the development and release of the Carbon Leatt brace. The man knows carbon.
more here: http://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/features/In-Depth-CSixx,2342/Slideshow,19871/sspomer,2

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
why go elsewhere ...
Awesome looking guides, but here's some possible reasons
Dislike for bearings.
Never seen the results of a carbon product used to take repetitive impacts.
No rider field reports yet.
Are they compatible with all chain lubes
Lighter carbon guides.
Colour options.
Prefer Aluminum and or plastics.
Need to modify guide.
These are very nice looking guides, but like every bike component there's always some balance of compromise(strength, weight, durability, cost, bike compatibility, etc)it's up to the customer to pick what's best for them by doing research. The CSIX do look like they tick a lot of boxes.

Last edited:

yakkity yak

Likes Dirt
just stick to the goodies
-mrp g2 sl
-e thirteen LG1+
not to expensive the best guides on the market and tried and proven

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
I just put a new DH bike together and had to make the same decision, I went with a E-Thirteen LG1+.

It was a bit fiddly getting the perfect chain line - adjusted the spacers on the bolts that go into the frame tabs was awkward, but now its set up, there is not chain drag, its pretty much noiseless and I don't know its there.

Being a new bike that has a lot lower BB than i am used to I have tested out the bash plate extensively and no problems to date. I'd buy another again with a doubt.

LG12.jpg

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Any prices? Also on the chainstay protector? What is the max size chainstay that the protector can take?
Sorry for the Slow reply
150gm $220* 175gh $259*

* prices may change with FX movements.

Current chainstay protector is 30cm. A new larger version is soon to be released.

Is there anyone with a tried and tested review of this chainguide?
I've asked a couple of riders from the Vic series to provide comments, hopefully they will comment directly.

Otherwise here is a review
http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-gear/csixx-150gm-carbon-chain-
Notice comments re repeated hits Rod.

Unlike road bikes which use high modulus carbon which can shatter on impact, cSixx use a lower modulus carbon with Kevlar reinforcement to increase flex and impact resistance. Unlike Polycarbs which tend to dig and grab on to rock, the cSixx carbon/kevlar composite is specifically designed to slide reducing the transfer of forces

I'll provide feedback direct from csixx re chemical resistance, however, much like with carbon frame technology, I'm certain cSixx have more then catered for this in their selection of materials and have not come across any issues in the 2.5 years since their first protos.

rednightmare

Likes Dirt
Im building up a new dh bike with saint cranks but am not sure which chain guide to go with? I think i will stick with one of the major brands and like the look of the Straitline Silent Guide but was wondering what other peoples (informed) opinions were?
I'd recommend the e-thirteen LG1+. I've had one for about 2 years and it's been great. Minimal drag, lightweight and can take abuse. I paid about $160 from Chain Reaction Cycles. Can't really go wrong.

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i have the Csixx 150gm, had it for some months now. i love it every bit more than the past guides i have used in the past list as follow.
truvativ - box guide
E13 - ls1 and lg1
mrp - g2
straightline - silentguide

and that includes multiple lg1 and g2 due do excessive damage and was unable to use. (this is not a bad thing towards the e13 and mrp guides, the served their purpose) keep my chainring and cranks safe and free of damage.

how ever i did notice how they compare to multiple impacts as compared to the Csixx 150gm guide. both my guide and Josh Mitchell's have taken some serious stop you dead impacts (quite a number of in my case) and have held up with out question. are straight!, free of structural cracks and fractures, especially in the areas i suspected they would. ie the ISCG 05 etc bolt holes. (i was certain this would be the point that would give out before any other, how ever i was wrong. what did happen, was rather than crack/ snap/ or fracture, the impacted areas frayed. (think of it in the situation when you hit soft wood, like builders pine with a steel rod) rather than being so rigid in construction that it just fails, it dints, dints and dints more and only the area impacted over and over will start to open and show signs of ware.
as compared to an alloy or steel construction version, if it took the same impacts they tend to bend out of shape and either hard press the chainring, clean snap, or simply bend so far out of shape they stop the operation of the unit/ your entire drive train in that one incident.

There is a Yellow section on the backing plate/bash ring, that covers where majority of heavy nasty impacts accrue, this is not just a yellow carbon, it is infact a carbon/KEVLAR weave as apposed to a carbon/carbon weave. this increases the strength of the impact area, over longer periods of time.

to adress the couple other concerns out laid by the above posters, bearings (jocky wheels)....given that all our systems use them, in rear mechs, is this such a problem? the other option is the silent guide (which is far from silent) creates a similar drag, as there is a need for the lower slider to have tension on the chain just the same as a jocky wheel would.

and onto the chain lube on carbon conundrum, use what ever lube you currently use, because its not going to cause any issues. firstly the Csixx guides all use a nice thick clear layer, for both protection/longevity and ease of cleaning. i currently have changed out my Sram X0 jocky wheels for my own brand Carbon jocky wheels, with great success. the plan was the same for the Csixx when/if the wheel needed replacing for what ever reason. (including as simple as the anodising waring off the teeth) this happens with any product.

i recommend the guides over pretty much every other guide out. and put simply they are sexy as hell. and tonnes of colours

i will get some photos asap.

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a csixx guide.

They work sick. super strong. Taken more big hits than my shattered mrp. and the rubber in the guides mean its super duper quiet

EDIT:

Just read my email from Al asking to let you know about it.
Been using mine for a few months, and smashed it around pretty hard.
Thing I like about mine most is that it's so quiet from the rubber in the guides. It also looks awesome. And doesn't press to hard on the scales.
They're sick guides and well worth the coin.

Last edited:

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Straitline Silent Guide - future. Love mine so much, given it so many hard impacts and all its done is scratched the bash guard. It even tells you when to oil your chain (mine makes a squeeking noise when the chain is bone dry) :p. They're light as well, and so so much quieter than the SRS+ that i had on the bike previously (which i smashed to bits, both the guide and the bashy)

Try the truvativ XO, I have just put it on my bike and I am loveing it and it is cheeper than the other ones you are looking at to
rrp XO= $200
MRP= $220
E.13= $220
Straitline= $200