Which new trail bike?

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
before anyone asks, I have had a look at the what 4-5 inch bike thread and a few others, but thought I would seek a more targetted response.

So I am after a new full suspension trail bike.... thinking of the usual 5", but I am open to 4-6" if it can do the job.

Budget - up to around $5k

Riding style -awesome.... trail/enduro, DW 100/Fling/Dirty Doctor, usual sydney trails like manly dam, ourimbah, yellowmundee etc. I want something that is efficient and goes up hills well, but i do like to have a bit of fun on the downhills and rougher stuff (ie, not a full on XC racer), but I am no serious downhiller and I am not too hard on gear. I would also prefer not too heavy a bike (naturally), aiming for under 12 kg if possible.

I want something with decent brakes and tubeless tyres/rims. I want XT/X9 level drivetrain.

I currently ride an Iron Horse MkIII which is too small for me but has been good. I find it reasonable up hills and quite good for the downhills and technical stuff. (just to give my reference point)

I know many people will make comments about shops/after sales service etc, but this isn't hugely important as my bikes rarely go in for servicing.

The ones I have looked at so far and my thoughts:

Gt Sensor 1.0 - new for 2010, seems like a good spec particularly given the price and has good initial reviews. However, not sure on weight and brand new bike means it is not widely tested.

Yeti 575 - looks reasonable, but not sure if extra travel would make it heavier and perhaps not as good up the hills

Trek EX range - seems expensive for certain spec levels, but I believe they have a good reputation.

I don't want a Trance because the people I ride with most have them... I just want something different (they both rave about them though)

So, what do people recommend and why?

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been very happy with my Pivot Mach 5. I bought it to use on longer rides like the Fling (which was it's first ride this year) and because it has a reasonably high bottom bracket so i don't bash the pedals in rocky stuff. Handling is very good.

Here is my Mach 5, because it sounds similiar to what you want.

I also considered a Santa Cruz Blur LT but like the DW link suspension on my Firebird better than the VPP my Nomad had so i went for another DW link bike.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I'd second a test-ride on a Pivot Mach5 for sure. Pivot are really at the top of their game with that bike right now.

Damienp

Likes Dirt
I am currently in the same position and have been looking at both the Yeti and SC offerings.

To be fair to the Nomad comment the new frames have had a fair amount of a re-work and a lot of the negative comments people had about the previous frame have been addressed.

That being said, there are many positives for either system DW or VPP.

Currently i have narrowed my selection down to a Blur LT in either Carbon or Aluminum or a Nomad. Either of which can be built up quite light and be incredibly versatile or with a more hard core setup for some real seriousness. The pivots would also fit the bill nicely but i have some serious SC lust and can obtain one rather reasonably at the moment.

The Trance i am not all that familiar with and i must admit its name is what turns me off it in the first instance, but have heard so many good things about them that i am considering going for a test ride. My last Giant experience however i did not agree with all that much so there is some trepidation there.

The Yeti 575 featured really highly in my quest and sits up there with the best of the best in the trail world. The main thing that pushed it out of the running for me was it being a single pivot and i really want to try the VPP/ DW thing out. Most of the reviews suggest that it climbs like a scalded cat and decends rather well also. I would put it on par with the Blur LT with the only difference between the two their respective suspension systems.

The other frame you might consider is the Ibis Mojo. The Lopes link is now standard i have heard (Elvis would be able to verify this) which stiffens up the ride and the frame quite considerably and transforms this frame into a trail weapon capable of all but the most gnarly terrain.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Maybe theres a reason why all your riding mates have Trances.

Best value bike for the exactly the type of riding you have described. You can get something else for the sake of being different, but you will just be paying more for a bike that does the same thing.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Best value bike for the exactly the type of riding you have described. You can get something else for the sake of being different, but you will just be paying more for a bike that does the same thing.
They're definitely great value bikes, but there are better performing bikes around. I find my Mach 5 performs better in all aspects to the Anthem it replaced. Where the Anthem felt dead and sluggish, the Mach 5 feels lively and gets up and goes, at my pace anyway.:)

As for the Nomad and VPP2, i read mixed reviews about the new suspension. I ran a CCDB rear shock on my Nomad and kept it for the Firebird but i don't think i'll need to use it. The DHX Air works very well, which it doesn't seem to do on the Nomads. Hopefully i'll be able to test one out for myself soon though.:)

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They're definitely great value bikes, but there are better performing bikes around. I find my Mach 5 performs better in all aspects to the Anthem it replaced. Where the Anthem felt dead and sluggish, the Mach 5 feels lively and gets up and goes, at my pace anyway.:)
I didn't say they were the best bike, I just said that they would suit the type of riding he was doing, at a much lower price point, hence their popularity.

There are plenty of other bikes that would suit his riding, they will just cost a lot more. I just don't understand people who choose to pay more, just for the sake of having something different.

If there is an advantage, fair enough. If not, it's just a big dick competition.

gazzaed

Likes Dirt
Do a search on the Yeti 5, new bike for 2010 that is yet to be released in oz. It is on their main website. lighter and more nimble than the 575, looks amazing. I think there are a few reviews on the net too from interbike etc

Adamski

Likes Bikes and Dirt
With your budget I'd also consider a Specialized Pitch Pro.

I just bought one after riding a Trance X for a year and it is blowing my mind. They are also cheap enough that you could upgrade the forks and a few other things that have room for improvement.

DW-1

Dirt Works
The other frame you might consider is the Ibis Mojo. The Lopes link is now standard i have heard (Elvis would be able to verify this) which stiffens up the ride and the frame quite considerably and transforms this frame into a trail weapon capable of all but the most gnarly terrain.
correcto'

the Lopes Link is std feature on all Mojos' nowadays. :cool:

Elvis.

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm a MKIII rider too. I can't imagine moving to anything else. Pivot Mach 5 gets my vote.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
The Trek Fuel EX and Yeti 575 with that kind of spec level won't fit within the budget unless you go secondhand.

A Santa Cruz Heckler will just scrape in under $5,000 and would be my personal pick. Great bike thats tough, low maintanence, reasonably light in annondised form and handles really well.

I've never been a big fan of GT bikes so can't really comment on the Sensor.

bciya

Squid
How about the La Pierre Zesty or Spicy? They're light and get great reviews. Are they available here in Oz?

Or how about a Scott Genius? My mate has one and it does everything well (climbing and decending)... just a bit pricey :)

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I don't disagree with you, but i just want something a little bit different.

So I am hearing far too much about the Pivots not to at least have a look at them. Anyone know of a shop in Sydney,preferably city or northside?

Also still thinking about Yetis, might see if anyone is offering deals.

IBIS might be a bit out of budget, but still gets my motor going - again, any dealers in sydney? (none on the website)