Which On-One to choose

dunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A little background to this post, I currently have a GT Zaskar X that I use as my singlespeed now using a White Industries Eno Eccentric hub instead of a tensioner. Yesterday someone (not me) dropped a lump hammer on my frame and I now have a decent dent in the top tube. I'm not sure if it will be fatal or not, and I'll probably find out on the weekend either way. Having just spent a couple of grand on a set of track wheels and a disc wheel, bucks are short at the moment.

So I started looking for a new frame, but I have a few "needs" and a couple of "wants".

Needs:

Affordable
Vertical drop outs
Able to run gears if I want to later
V Brake Bosses
Disc Brake Mount

Wants:
Steel

So having had an On-One inbred in the past and really liking it, I checked out Chainreaction and they are having a sale on Inbreds:D

But which to choose:

The Geared Inbred fits all the criteria, can run gears, can run SS with my eccentric hub, will take rack and fenders (not a great incentive but good none the less)
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5737

The Sliding drop out Inbred fits all the same criteria, but I can run SS without my Eno hub, doesn't take racks, and the reliablity of the sliding drop out is unknown to me.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8902

Any suggestions, or even other recommendations?

Thanks
Dunk

Last edited:

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Geared Inbred could be the old geometry suited to ~400mm forks. The Sliding Dropout Inbred has had its geometry corrected for longer travel forks. Worth checking.

They have the Geared in 14, 16 and 18 inch and the Non Geared in 20 only.

...And then there is the matter of having a "Geared" On One:p

dunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Carlin said:
The Geared Inbred could be the old geometry suited to ~400mm forks. The Sliding Dropout Inbred has had its geometry corrected for longer travel forks. Worth checking

I am leaning slightly towards the sliding drop outs, as if I destry me Eno hub I can still run my geared wheel, but then do I want to run an eccentric hub in the sliding drop out?:confused:

4 - 5 inch front fork is nice as I'll be running a Fox float with 4 - 5" of travel.

Carlin said:
...And then there is the matter of having a "Geared" On One:p
making it an on-twenty:D seven

Last edited:

craigb

Likes Dirt
if your in melbourne (guessing you are) and id guess you purchased the hub off dan-o (shifterbikes) go see him and have a talk to him see what he thinks you should do. personaly the sliding dropout looks like you should not have any problems i cant see how it would. i also know that dan had an inbred frame with sliding dropouts on sale aswell.