Which one of these 3 tyres for rear use?

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You're sort of asking the impossible from those three tyres. I'd discount the NN straight off as I hate the flex of Schwalbe side knobs so it would be between DHR and Aggressor. I love the DHR for its hookup, side knobs and reasonable weight. Can also be run on the front. But it rolls like sh1t as you'd know. No idea if the only difference is .1in between 2.3 & 2.4, seems unlikely. The Aggressor is heavier by a fair whack, but rolls better if you do a bit of pedalling, however its weakness IMO is it lets go way earlier than a minion DHF/DHR/SS, but fairly progressively. That's in dry loose over hard. Also IMO, it doesn't do anything the minion SS can't do that weighs less, rolls better, and corners better too...zing. But between those 3, if you value confidence and cornering over pedalling I'd stick with the DHR.

freeriding

Likes Dirt
the minion ss and the rock razor (i have ridden the rr for one summer season) are fine tyres, but they don't have the braking power for steep loose stuff.

Also they are shit for the winter.

I don't like to change tyres, based on the current soil conditions, this is why i want an all around tyre, although this may lead to some compromises.

If there was a 2.4 or 2.5 26 aggressor, i would try that one.

Now, i guess i will go for the 2.4 dhr2 dual, since the same tyre in 2.3 that i run for 10 months is ace!

I also have a trail king 2.4 back chili apex, but i find it definitely slower rolling than the dhr2.

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I run minion dhf on both front and back of my slayer, the rear was originally up front and 2.3. The front is the WT 2.5. They have traction for days and I'm willing to take the hit with a bigger tyre in the rear for the extra traction the dhf proved out back. I previously had a minion ss and would always struggle to pull up at my local tracks so it had to go.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the minion ss and the rock razor (i have ridden the rr for one summer season) are fine tyres, but they don't have the braking power for steep loose stuff.

Also they are shit for the winter.

I don't like to change tyres, based on the current soil conditions, this is why i want an all around tyre, although this may lead to some compromises.

If there was a 2.4 or 2.5 26 aggressor, i would try that one.

Now, i guess i will go for the 2.4 dhr2 dual, since the same tyre in 2.3 that i run for 10 months is ace!

I also have a trail king 2.4 back chili apex, but i find it definitely slower rolling than the dhr2.
I have a 2.3 Aggressor paired with a 2.4 High Roller 2 up front. The difference in size is barely noticeable, if at all, without the aid of verniers. The knobs are obviously bigger on the HR2.

freeriding

Likes Dirt
I read that 2.4 dhr2 has taller and larger knobs, so I guess rolling resistance will be higher than the 2.3

Aggressor here I come!

Anyone tried Vittoria morsa? I read really good reviews. Seems like an aggressor alternative.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
WTB trail boss and Michelin Force AM are two rear tyres I've never used but am also considering as aggressor altrnatives. Slightly more tread than the full on semi-slicks but still look very fast.

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
I currently run a HRII out front and an Ardent out back. I rode "The Valley" over here in WA for the first time the other week and it was a rude awakening, the lack of grip I had was insane. Almost everyone that rides there uses a HRII out back with a Magic Mary out front.

I think we came across 10 other riders, and seven ran MM/HRII. Steve ran a Hans Dampfe/HRII, and the two others we rode with ran DHF/DHRII and DHF/HRII.

I am on an old 26" Heckler :)

I am in the same boat wanting more rear grip and I have a 2.35" Hans Dampfe, 2.35" Rock Razor, 2.3 HRII, 2.25" Ardent and a 2.35" Ignitor to move around on the bike. I am going HD front and HRII back.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
What about a Shorty on the back? If you don't mind the weight penalty you can get DH casing 2.4s for $20. Could have that for winter and something more fancy for summer. Changing tyres once a year ain't so bad. It's when you run them too light, keep slashing them and change them every other month that sucks. Shortys are also good up front for winter - similar to MMs.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Holy rolling resistance :shocked:
True, they're not the best rollers in town. If you have the patience you can do what the pros do and cut the centre knobs down a bit... I'd say the rolling resistance is on a par with DHRs though. Maybe a tad worse.

moorey

call me Mia
True, they're not the best rollers in town. If you have the patience you can do what the pros do and cut the centre knobs down a bit... I'd say the rolling resistance is on a par with DHRs though. Maybe a tad worse.
TAD worse? I was forced to ride a DH casing shorty on rear at Buller last year. Yeah nah. I'll assume you're taking the piss. :tsk:

slowmick

38-39"
TAD worse? I was forced to ride a DH casing shorty on rear at Buller last year. Yeah nah. I'll assume you're taking the piss. :tsk:
The pictures he posted of his Norco in the for sale add showed them fitted. Maybe he's building fitness for summer :madgrin:

moorey

call me Mia
The pictures he posted of his Norco in the for sale add showed them fitted. Maybe he's building fitness for summer :madgrin:
Maybe. I get why people opt for them, grip wise, especially in the front.

I also dispute earlier comments that the SS is no good in winter. I'm very happy with mine in anything other than slop...which you shouldn't ride in anyway.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
If you were riding the Epic that would have been like dragging a sack of potatoes behind the bike. My comparison to the DHR is based around a 2.4 wirebead (DHR), which at 1280g isn't the most svelt tyre out there, so neither roll all that well. But you're probably right, on a longish climb the Shorty would suck worse. I'm ditching the Shortys and going for a Magic Mary on the front as it's tons lighter and grips just as well in a wider range of conditions. Not sure what to put on the back, either DHR again, HR2 or Aggressor.

How do you find the SS braking in a straight line on really steep trails? Exciting?

moorey

call me Mia
If you were riding the Epic that would have been like dragging a sack of potatoes behind the bike. My comparison to the DHR is based around a 2.4 wirebead (DHR), which at 1280g isn't the most svelt tyre out there, so neither roll all that well. But you're probably right, on a longish climb the Shorty would suck worse. I'm ditching the Shortys and going for a Magic Mary on the front as it's tons lighter and grips just as well in a wider range of conditions. Not sure what to put on the back, either DHR again, HR2 or Aggressor.

How do you find the SS braking in a straight line on really steep trails? Exciting?
Delatite.
New Zealand is the only place that steep enough and loany enough to have bothered it so far. That was more rider than tyre. Others running them didn't have the same trouble.