Which rear derailleur Deore M591 or Deore XT M751

hulsty

Likes Bikes
Recently bought a newer MTB that has come with a Deore M591 rear derailleur but I also have a older Deore XT M751 that would also be suitable to use.

Which would be better? There is a few years difference between them so the M591 would have caught up to the older XT M751 ?

thanks

ChopSticks

Banned
i personally reckon its not worth swapping it out..just to have an 'XT'

just use it until the Deore is loose and needs replacing and keep the XT as a spare

how much use has that XT seen? is it scratched or beat up?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
About the only thing markedly better in the XT is the jockey wheels. They run on better bushings (ceramic in the upper, and actually a sealed ball bearing in the lower) than the Deore (all steel bushes), which as well as running better last longer because they don't wear as much when crap gets in them. They are interchangeable. Otherwise, the springs & pivots in an XT of that vintage would probably be getting a bit loose & floppy now, so it wouldn't perform as nicely as the newer Deore.

Zam

Likes Dirt
Dont think it is worth the hassle changing them around, unless something is wrong with your current setup

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've actually the plain Deore mech's quite good. Obvious weight penalty, and I'm sure the XT shifts better - but Deore are pretty nice for the price.