Which rim? Mag 30, Dice or Phyco.

GTBoy

Likes Bikes
I have just managed to reck my front and rear rims rideing up at Buller, and i need some tough new rims. I work in a bike shop and the only 3 decent rims we can get are the Mag 30s the Dice TwoSix or Velocity Phyco's. I really don't want to spend that much so i would like to get the twosix or the phycos, but i don't want to have to get something that will just buckel on my after a few rides, so that is were the Mag 30 comes in, as i have heard they are pretty though.
Cheers

Rik

logged out
Mag 30 on the rear, Psycho on the front. A compromise of weight, strength and cost. The Psycho is a competent rim, but not as strong as a twosix, which isn't as strong as a Mag 30.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Well who are you getting the Mag30s off? If they're coming from DW then I'd probably get the RynoLiteXLs myself, but I'm a big fan of these rims. I'm pretty sure they're a fair bit cheaper.

Ev

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i wouldn't get Rhyno lites at all, i had one on the back and it's ina pretty bad shape at the moment.
So i am in a similar situation, i'm looking at getting a 24inch sun doublewide built onto my current hub for about $150. How much will a 24inch tire cost?

Rik

logged out
Where are you getting the doublewide from?
And 24" tyres will range from about $60 upwards.

brodes

Likes Dirt
im ACTUALLY thinking along same lines except with 521s but if i were you id get mag 30s or 521s
cheers

jasco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rhyno lites are great wheels, I'm running one on my trials bike at the moment and it cops all sorts of dodgy hits and hard landings on really low PSI tires (as in 15-20) and have never had a problem. Just make sure you get them built by someone that really knows what they're doing and you'll be fine

Konaman

Likes Dirt
rhino lytes are shit, there not meant for big hits and stuff and i donno why u wuld use them for trials unless u want a light wheel and replace the rims fairly often.

Go the mag 30s or for a bit less weight the 521s.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Konaman said:
i donno why u wuld use them for trials unless u want a light wheel
Yeah, I mean what sort of trials rider wants a light wheel??
Sure, rhynos aren't as strong as a 521, but they're also 100 grams lighter; call me a weight weenie or whatever, but if I can save 100 grams in outer rotational weight I'd be bloody cheering!

As for them being "shit" I can atest to the fact that mine as pretty well dead straight after having been abused for 18 months. I attribute a lot of this to the quality of the build, it's DAMN tight! I don't even have XLs, but they will probably be my next rim: welded and eyeletted a little fatter and only marginally heavier; to boot, I know that some of the world's best (unobligated) street riders swear by the things, and they're hard on equipment.

dillon

Likes Dirt
I've got the Velocity Psycho and can't complain, I wouldn't say I'm hard on it, don't do drop drops much more than 1m.
Still straight as.
I don't mind giving the oz manufacturers a go anyway.

GTBoy

Likes Bikes
Thanks every one. I think i will order a Mag 30 for the back, and put a psycho on the front, as i want to ride on wednesday and the front is totalled and we have a psycho in stock.