Which trail frame? older reign or enduro

AzonicNick

Likes Dirt
Hey all,

Im thinking about starting a new project and wanting to make the jump from a hardtail to something with a bit more squish in the rear.. Currently have a SC Chameleon but am thinking along the lines of a 2006ish Enduro or a 2008ish reign. These are both frames that I quite like even of they are slightly older models. Assuming I can find either of them in a suitable size and condition is one of them a clear winner or not much in it?

I note that the Giant still uses a similar suspension layout while the Specialized has had teo big changes since. Im not too keen on the looks of the newer gen Enduros (apart from the current.. but that is out of my $$).

Both are frames I have wanted for a while. What is the best for a more trail orientated work? I love pointing bikes downhill but riding mostly is Sydney or the North Island there tends to be as much up as down. Im light on parts so don't need burly and over built.

Any recommendations around the $600 secondhand price point? Wanting a frame in good condition that I can hang on to for a few years and build up how I want it.

Cheers,

Nick

nexusfish

El Mariachi
Hey mate, I have that model reign and i cant pump it enough for a do everything bike. I race DH on it and have used it in europe for rides that have 2hr single track climbs. I really can do everything.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Depends a bit on your riding. The Reign is built for AM rather than just trail riding, so could almost be too much bike, depending on where you'll be taking it. The reason why the suspension hasn't changed much over the years is 'cos it was bloody good off the bat, and it's hard to improve something that's already damn good. Most of the changes over the years have been more about changing the fabrication of the lower link/shock mount/bottom bracket area to cut weight.