Whips

Hey guys, how are we all doing?

I can't find a thread about this so I thought I might ask. I'm a beginner to DJ and 4X and I wanna know how to do a proper whip. I have done them before but it wasn't intentional, and I'd just stack when I land. I have some jumps at the back of my house, I'll get some pics up to see if you think its possible to do a whip on these jumps.

Thanks

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys, how are we all doing?

I can't find a thread about this so I thought I might ask. I'm a beginner to DJ and 4X and I wanna know how to do a proper whip. I have done them before but it wasn't intentional, and I'd just stack when I land. I have some jumps at the back of my house, I'll get some pics up to see if you think its possible to do a whip on these jumps.

Thanks
it has alot to do with technique, especially how you set yourself up when coming of a ramp.

look and videos of pros, dont try and whip it as far as they do but it will help teach you.

try and lean the bike a little bit, and push hard with your feet

plenty of practice and you will be styling it up in no time

dan-492

Likes Dirt
hey mate,if you can get air, you can basically whip anywhere. use your feet to try and push bike out.

_Ajax_

Likes Dirt
Its probably a good idea to do little ones at first and then practice at getting the whip back in aswell.

moto-james

Likes Dirt
hey mate dont listen to the guys above, although there trying to help, its not the right advice.
you use your whole body to whip the bike
everything factors in when doing a whip
from your approach to the jump, your body position, where you look, your confidence in yourself, the jump and much more
my advice would be to try and jump as smooth as possible, try and flow with the jump, then start to turn your bars in the air ( sounds simple, but you need to start somewhere) then eventually with more confidence and skill start to find your own way of maneuvering the bike in the air, resulting in a whip.

from here you will develop your own whip

in my opinion whips are defiantly a hard to trick to perfect, because they are a trick that needs a lot of skill and style involved to achieve well.

just stick at it

Welshy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey mate dont listen to the guys above, although there trying to help, its not the right advice.
you use your whole body to whip the bike
everything factors in when doing a whip
from your approach to the jump, your body position, where you look, your confidence in yourself, the jump and much more
my advice would be to try and jump as smooth as possible, try and flow with the jump, then start to turn your bars in the air ( sounds simple, but you need to start somewhere) then eventually with more confidence and skill start to find your own way of maneuvering the bike in the air, resulting in a whip.

from here you will develop your own whip

in my opinion whips are defiantly a hard to trick to perfect, because they are a trick that needs a lot of skill and style involved to achieve well.

just stick at it
Pretty good advice here.

As for discovering the way you whip, idealy you should be pushing out with your back foot. Turn your bars the same way you are planning to send the back end out.

Once you get the hang of it, you can add different aspects to your whip, leaning and dipping the bike in accorance to the transition of the lander.

Brodie_78Kt

Likes Dirt
Pretty good advice here.

As for discovering the way you whip, idealy you should be pushing out with your back foot. Turn your bars the same way you are planning to send the back end out.

Once you get the hang of it, you can add different aspects to your whip, leaning and dipping the bike in accorance to the transition of the lander.
dont you mean the other way?

when i started to do whips way back i went to the left and im right foot forward, and alot of the guys i ride with are the same, now days i can do it both ways, not real hard..

just comes with practice, weight balance, timing and style..

you will work on it, try and always get them back though, looks better to do a jump straight then it does a massive kickout to lander.

Ozza

Eats Squid
Depends which style of whip you want to do.

The booner whip involves using both your legs keeping them really straight, holding the front wheel up and straight with your bars into your chest whilst the back end is out.

If you want to do it the stylish way then its a completely different techneque. You want to be turning your bars as you are bring the back out using mainly your back foot and the momentum of turning the bars (upper trunk, arms) to almost slingshot it out. No point going into details on varying angles etc when your learning the basics.

stace.pear

Likes Dirt
my advice. use your shoulders. your legs should follow, as in twist them. then just emphasize it as much as you can once you get it. and go which ever way feels natural to you.

lawrox1234

Likes Dirt
ok i thought you were talking abouts tailwhips at first... i was wondering how you managed a tail whip by accident.... not my brightest moment :rolleyes:

OLD_GREGG

Likes Bikes
Pretty good advice here.

No your meant to whip your front foot out cause if u look at Chillywillys whips there alot bigger than yours and more stylish

hazza6542

Eats Squid
I can get the bike in the air, whip to the side, but I can't land the bike straight. It seems once the bike is at an angle, it stays there or goes further. Fun though if its a slippery landing:p

Rob rides

Likes Dirt
An easy way is to try to use your preferred hand to try and touch the opposite knee to that hand which automatically whips you out then all you have to do is push your bars back out and if they're not level, level them out.
I hope this helped/works, it did for me ;) Cheers,
Rob

timmy0081

Likes Dirt
i discovered a little rule from sheer experience. if you ride with your right foot forward when you coming up to the jump you whip to the left. left foot forward you whip right.

If you try whipping right with you have your right foot forward it doesn't work. you cant get your body down and cant get it out far without making it look rank.

when i first started i was whipping right when i had my right foot forward and it was ugly as and i didn't feel i had much control. i Had to restart and do it again.

hope this helps.

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Crack that whip
Give the past the slip
Step on a crack
Break your mommas back
When a problem comes along
You must whip it
Before the cream sits out too long
You must whip it
When somethings going wrong