Whistler 2008

ExTrEmE FrEeRiDe

Likes Bikes
NEW FOR 2008:

-In 2008 the Canadian government is now issuing 2 year working visas for Australian’s

-There is no limit to how many of these you can get (as long as you have not turned 30 years of age)

-WHISTLER has allowed OWH to hire for their Summer staff as well as the Winter staff.

just thought ide post that up after being sent it from OWH.
Should be good for anyone heading over there next year

shirtz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah il be looking into do it again. i went with OWH the last time and can receomend them...i was a dish pig, but i still rode heaps :)

wagon boy

Likes Dirt
I've never heard of them before but that sounds like a great opportunity! The wife and I were just discussing today that we want to head over there for a holiday...

Last edited:

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Yep I'll be applying again on Jan 2nd as well. Seems silly to miss an opportunity to stay here since I'll be too old to ever come back and do it again.

wtp-addict

Likes Dirt
The only thing im worried about is that im 18 soon...

And never been overseas before... all my mates have pretty much pulled out because they dont have the money... i kinda need someone to hang with at whistler if anyone goes from australia?

ill keep more people informed as the time gets closer but yeah anyone wanna help?

Just kinda overwhelming thinking about going to another country by myself not knowing anyone and only just turning 18 :(

Calv

Likes Bikes
The only thing im worried about is that im 18 soon...

And never been overseas before... all my mates have pretty much pulled out because they dont have the money... i kinda need someone to hang with at whistler if anyone goes from australia?

ill keep more people informed as the time gets closer but yeah anyone wanna help?

Just kinda overwhelming thinking about going to another country by myself not knowing anyone and only just turning 18 :(
I wouldn't worry too much about that buddy. I originally came to Whistler in 2005 and stayed for 3 months for the summer, living in staff housing. I knew absolutely no one before I came over and left with a bunch of new friends and unforgettable experiences.

Also if you're worried about not having any fellow aussies around, I wouldn't stress too much about that one either. Whistler is sometimes affectionately known as Whistralia. There are quite a few Australians here to say the least. The number of aussie mtb'ers coming to Whistler is not tapering off either. I saw more familiar faces from back home this year than I did last summer.

If you have any more questions, shoot me a PM!

Last edited:

wtp-addict

Likes Dirt
Hey thanks mate...

Yeah ive heard about the whistralia thing lol..
It's just a little overwhelming going from a small bike shop in NSW to doing god know's what in another country, From never being out of the eastern side of Australia..

I know ill probably find some aussie's to meet up with.. would just be good if anyone who is definant on going to whistler would be able to meet up or something and show around as soon as i get there or within in the week..

And the other thing is that ghastly "21 Legal drinking age" OH GODD!!!! LOL

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Mate, Know what your are thinking. I did a GAP year in Scotland after year 12 in kind of the same situation as you. Country boy, new country, didn't know anyone etc.

Now I've just turned 30 and am doing the same thing again.......kind of. GF and I dropped everything (Career etc) and are in Canada on the working visa.

You will have a fantastic time. In a strange way I think it might be better that you are going it alone. I did the GAP year alone and met heaps of good people through necessity, some others I came across did it with friends and they spent all their time together and I think that they missed something because of it.

By all means meet a few Aussies in Whistler, you won't be able to avoid them anyway, but if you really want to get a great experience of another country, try and avoid us! Live with Canadians, or other nationalities if possible, it will make your personal experience all the better.
And work, Aussies have a reputation for being hard working and "Getting the Job done". If you show up and show a willingness to work hard you will have no problems getting a job. Seems there is a shortage of staff at the moment anyway, all the local mountains are recruiting heavily in Europe so you should be cool.

Send me a PM if you have any questions, I'm happy to help if I can

edit. Drinking age here is 19. 21 is just the States.

wtp-addict

Likes Dirt
Mate, Know what your are thinking. I did a GAP year in Scotland after year 12 in kind of the same situation as you. Country boy, new country, didn't know anyone etc.

Now I've just turned 30 and am doing the same thing again.......kind of. GF and I dropped everything (Career etc) and are in Canada on the working visa.

You will have a fantastic time. In a strange way I think it might be better that you are going it alone. I did the GAP year alone and met heaps of good people through necessity, some others I came across did it with friends and they spent all their time together and I think that they missed something because of it.

By all means meet a few Aussies in Whistler, you won't be able to avoid them anyway, but if you really want to get a great experience of another country, try and avoid us! Live with Canadians, or other nationalities if possible, it will make your personal experience all the better.
And work, Aussies have a reputation for being hard working and "Getting the Job done". If you show up and show a willingness to work hard you will have no problems getting a job. Seems there is a shortage of staff at the moment anyway, all the local mountains are recruiting heavily in Europe so you should be cool.

Send me a PM if you have any questions, I'm happy to help if I can

edit. Drinking age here is 19. 21 is just the States.

haha damn im not 19 until 2009 lol

Yeah ill shoot ya a pm you if i have any problems or questions

dcrofty

Eats Squid
What I like is that he pretty much ignored all my wanky platitudes about life experiences etc and focused straight on the drinking thing.

Seems he has his priorities right, he'll fit in well there :)

OK then IGNORE my previous stuff about staying with other nationalities etc. Instead make sure your flatmates are OVER 19! This is imperative.

wtp-addict

Likes Dirt
What I like is that he pretty much ignored all my wanky platitudes about life experiences etc and focused straight on the drinking thing.

Seems he has his priorities right, he'll fit in well there :)

OK then IGNORE my previous stuff about staying with other nationalities etc. Instead make sure your flatmates are OVER 19! This is imperative.

Haha yes it is...

stringbean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
im goin to plan to head over there in 4 years when i finish my apprenticeship for a few months. i no plans dont always come together but im realy hoping this one does. and i'll be 22 by then, legaly able to drink there.

on a side note are the laws there as stupid as they can be in america, caus theres been some weird stuff goin on there at the moment.

Edit: legal drinking age is 19, whoops

Last edited:

Viv92

Eats Squid
Aussies have a reputation for being hard working and "Getting the Job done".
You being serious? I thought everyone thought we were lazy (laid back is just our fancy way of saying it), boozing and sorta fearless, especially with animals.